Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
SilverSurfer1221
SilverSurfer1221 began at the beginning.

Device: Iconia Tab
ePub to Mobi: No Cover in Library View

Hello All. New here.

I have installed 0.8.51 of Calibre. I have formatted a novel (almost 400 pages) in OpenOffice Writer, exported using the WriterToEpub extension, extracted all of the files from the ePub file, and tweaked the XHTML files in Dreamweaver to ensure they look the way I want them to. The ePub file looks great on my Nook reader (run on both my PC and my Acer Iconia Tab - Android running ICS).

Using Calibre, I opened the ePub and then converted to mobi. While the interior looks great, no cover shows up in the Library view of the Kindle reader (on either the PC or the Android tablet). I've tried adding a cover at the metadata section and I've tried checking the Use Cover From Source File box. FYI - the first page of the ePub file is the cover of the book. I've even tried the Remove First Image from Structure Detection (while using the Change Cover Image under Metadata). Lastly, I've tried output profiles (Kindle, Kindle DX, Kindle Fire) to see if that made a difference.

Nothing I do seems to allow a cover to be seen in the Library view.

FYI - According to the TOC, the first page is the cover. I can even view the cover image by swiping left from the "first" page or by using the TOC.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get my cover to appear in the Library view? Any help would be appreciated.

Some additional information:

PC running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thank you.
SilverSurfer1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer1221 View Post
Hello All. New here.

I have installed 0.8.51 of Calibre. I have formatted a novel (almost 400 pages) in OpenOffice Writer, exported using the WriterToEpub extension, extracted all of the files from the ePub file, and tweaked the XHTML files in Dreamweaver to ensure they look the way I want them to. The ePub file looks great on my Nook reader (run on both my PC and my Acer Iconia Tab - Android running ICS).

Using Calibre, I opened the ePub and then converted to mobi. While the interior looks great, no cover shows up in the Library view of the Kindle reader (on either the PC or the Android tablet). I've tried adding a cover at the metadata section and I've tried checking the Use Cover From Source File box. FYI - the first page of the ePub file is the cover of the book. I've even tried the Remove First Image from Structure Detection (while using the Change Cover Image under Metadata). Lastly, I've tried output profiles (Kindle, Kindle DX, Kindle Fire) to see if that made a difference.

Nothing I do seems to allow a cover to be seen in the Library view.

FYI - According to the TOC, the first page is the cover. I can even view the cover image by swiping left from the "first" page or by using the TOC.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get my cover to appear in the Library view? Any help would be appreciated.

Some additional information:

PC running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thank you.
I had a hell of a time getting the covers to show in the library view. What finally did it for me was to make an epub (in Calibre or otherwise), and then convert it over to mobi with Kindle Previewer. Then the cover appeared in the library view. Give it a shot!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is caused bya bug in Amazon's software. You can workaround it by enabling the Enable sharing of books option under MOBI Output in the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
Unpacking the mobi with the MobiUnpack calibre plugin and rebuilding it in Mobipocket Creator gives you a prc file but that also shows the cover in Amazon Kindle for PC.
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is caused bya bug in Amazon's software. You can workaround it by enabling the Enable sharing of books option under MOBI Output in the conversion dialog.
I have the same problem on a Kindle Touch. Calibre 0.8.52. And the workaround you described isn't working. The book still doesnt show up with a cover while you long press.

Furthermore I have some older mobi files on the same Kindle, also created with calibre which still show the cover as part of the metadata view.

So for me this sound more like a regression, than a bug on Amazons side. Please elaborate.

Last edited by notimp; 05-23-2012 at 06:56 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh, how many times am I going to have to answer this question. Google is your friend.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And google brings up this thread after a few minutes..

Have done some tinkering myself. Used the latest kindlegen, and a cover still wouldn't show up. So I guess as far as the current "standard" goes, its fair to speak of a bug in processing (on the Kindles side).

The part that made me curious is, that older mobi's, also converted with calibre would have their cover displayed.

But its more important to play to the standard I guess.

If you could link to a more thorough description of what actually is going on, people would find it here googleing. The described workarround also isn't working anymore, there is value in documenting this as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The workaround does work, you probably just forgot to set it in the individual conversion dialog. See for example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1001599

Or https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177741

Or https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=5

Or a few others. Apparently, google doesn't like you
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
PapaQuebec
PapaQuebec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 4,Samsung Tab S,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Excellent answer - worked perfectly for me, covers now showing perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy!!

If only I can now figure out how to remove the annoying links to references in the text - keep hitting them by mistake!!
PapaQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
notimp
Addict

But I like google... Thanks for the links.
I'll retry tomorrow - allthough I'm certain I hat it checked in the individual conversion dialoge, as I always convert using the C shortcut. I'll post my results tomorrow (at least will edit this posting.. ).
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
notimp
Addict

Works. Sigh. Sorry for the commotion.