Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #91
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZambo View Post
I just got my PE last night. So far I really like it. Now I just have to figure out how to get this thing on 2.2. I know this may sound stupid but I am not too "techie." What is all this root talk and do I have to do it to get Ermine on the PE?
@JoeZambo

Welcome to Mobileread and especially to entourage edge!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #92
JoeZambo
JoeZambo began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
1. Joe, you need root to get the market, not ermine and to customize the system. not to upgrade to ermine.
2. Regarding the eink source I do not think they can make a lot of money. same epd controller like in first nook... and alex. people figured the nook quite easy. same will happen here if we get the right guys involved.
3. just an idea, how difficult is to change the servers for updating from entourage to a different host in a new rom?

Vicinc- Can it still be rooted once it has been updated to Ermine?

Does the androidpolice method for rooting still work? Are there any other easy routes?
JoeZambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #93
JoeZambo

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #94
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
JoeZambo, First thing, since you say you are not too 'techie' just follow the instructions to update to Ermine. Then you can use z4root if you really need to try that - it only works on Ermine.

If you are new to Android I would advise you to update then learn what the PE can do before trying anything adventurous.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #95
JoeZambo

Yeah I guess I should learn to swim before I start jumping off the diving board.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #96
tomh922
tomh922 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, edge PE
Hi all got the PE yesterday. Registered it just now. The auto update said I was uptodate but that's just with Dingo. So I'll be trying the ermine in a bit. I was poking around the fourms earlier and saw someone say the ermine update is missing it's just Dingo. I downloaded ermine several weeks ago, at work, so if that is true I should have a real copy. time will tell.
tomh922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #97
Clever
Clever began at the beginning.

I got my Pocket Edge today. I registered and checked auto update. Auto update was already on. I clicked the Update Now button and it found an update, downloaded it and rebooted it. After all that I'm on Dingo 1.13. It locked up on me soon after the update and reboot and then went dark and wouldn't wake up. I had to hit the reset button to get it back.

I've tried telling it to update again, and it says I've got the latest version. I've tried several times.

So to get to Ermine do I need to do the USB stick thing? I did download the update from one of the links at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks for the help.

Update: I went ahead and did the update from a USB Stick and it worked like a charm. I'm now running Ermine 0.9. VERY COOL! I see hours of exploring ahead of me. Thanks everyone who posted here for the advice and guidance.

Last edited by Clever; 07-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Clever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #98
Wayward Wampa
Wayward Wampa began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I just got my Pocket Edge from the Woot sale a while back, and I'm having trouble updating to Ermine. I downloaded the PE update from the first post on this thread, renamed it update.zip, placed it on an empty flash drive, plugged the drive into the PE while it was off, held down the menu and rotate buttons, and slid the power switch while holding down the buttons. I wrote down those steps just now to make sure I didn't miss anything. For whatever reason, the device just booted up normally. If I hold down the buttons for longer than ten seconds, the device just continuously reboots until I let them go, in which case it reboots and starts. I did have the automatic updater update me to 1.6 after turning it on for the first time. Should I downgrade first before upgrading to Ermine? Am I doing something else wrong? If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Wayward Wampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #99
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Wampa View Post
I did have the automatic updater update me to 1.6 after turning it on for the first time. Should I downgrade first before upgrading to Ermine? Am I doing something else wrong? If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
First thing, are you using windows? If so does it show the file extensions? If it doesn't and you renamed the file update.zip it will in fact be update.zip.zip which will not work.

If you are at 1.6 there is no need to downgrade.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #100
Marikafaye
Marikafaye began at the beginning.

Device: Red PocketeDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
This reply is in response to lorenzoens over here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?2059
Hopefully he will find it.

To install the update:
The steps are the same as downgrading from Ermine to Dingo. (https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...leid=263&nav=0)
1. Download the file and rename it to update.zip
2. place the file in the root of a FAT32 USB flash drive (I think a SD card will work too)
3. With the Edge off and the flash drive plugged in, hold down the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
4. Power on the Edge while continuing to hold Menu and ROTATE for 10 seconds.
5. Within 1 minute the Edge should start upgrading, the process will take a while, ~10 minutes, keep it plugged in.
6. The Edge will reboot when it is done.

I am so so Happy I found this!! I did this and now I have Amazon appstore and kindle app on my PE and they are both working!! YAY!!

Marikafaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #101
Wayward Wampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
First thing, are you using windows? If so does it show the file extensions? If it doesn't and you renamed the file update.zip it will in fact be update.zip.zip which will not work.

If you are at 1.6 there is no need to downgrade.
I'm using Windows 7. When I rename the file it becomes a .zip file and just says update as the name of the zip file. This zip file has a number of other zip files inside it, so it seems like this is what I'm supposed to be doing, but it's still not working.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #102
fmroger
fmroger began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I got a pocket eDGe from woot also. Found out the hard way to upgrade to Ermine. Do NOT rename the file UPGRADE.ZIP just name it UPGRADE worked like a charm. Found thyis out by going to Storage and seeing that the upgrade file was named “UPGRADE.ZIP.ZIP” removed it and renamed it UPGRADE. And followed directions from post Number one and Number ten. Thank you very much mrlanrat

Roger
fmroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #103
Wayward Wampa

Ok, I figured it out. When I renamed it update.zip, it became a zip file. after that, I renamed it update and loaded it onto my flash drive. Worked just fine. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #104
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to all you new PE owners!

It makes me very happy each time I read that someone has successfully updated -- I hope you will each enjoy your new device -- it really has something for everyone, in my opinion!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #105
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome to all you new PE owners!

It makes me very happy each time I read that someone has successfully updated -- I hope you will each enjoy your new device -- it really has something for everyone, in my opinion!
Which makes me wonder why Entourage didn't try marketing to a wider audience in the first place. I only found out about the EE by accident when I was looking for a large screen e-ink reader similar to my DX that would display epub books with out conversion.