Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
yes, notepad works - I thought it would choke on file size, bur maybe the win7 version has improved since windows XP days

wordpad also works fine.
Yes, it may work, but my inner geek is throwing up at the thought of using a word processor for what a text editor should do. Seriously, though: Wordpad, and other word processors like Word or OpenOffice, allows you to format your text and, if you're not careful, wants to save that formatting inside the text file. That would render the file unusable for the purposes of markup or programming languages. Just get Notepad++ for these things, you won't regret it. It even does syntax highlighting and other very nice things.

Last edited by Manichean; 09-30-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Fixed punctuation error
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
OK I get what you say about text editor vs. word processor & saving formatting in files.

Here though, I only wanted to look at what was inside, I 've no plans to take up html coding unless I encounter another book that I really want to read & there's no alternative to a DIY repair job :-)

I'm more inclined to spend an hour with google searching for a better source file than to spend an hour with notepad++ doing running repairs.

(though, back in the day I was red hot with FORTRAN & then with APL -I programmed for a while for a software company that did all of its book typesetting using FORTRAN. I never got into this new-fangled web stuff though. The last language I properly learned was BBC Basic !)

I will install it though, having followed your link & read its claim to be doing its bit to reduce world CO2 :-). It may come in handy if I ever need to tweak my own web site as I never got around to installing front page on this new PC

Last edited by cybmole; 09-30-2010 at 09:50 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
...though, back in the day I was red hot with FORTRAN & then with APL ...)
Just popped in to say Hello from a fellow ex-APL programmer (way back in the 80's). If you mastered the convolutions and opaqueness of APL then picking up enough HTML/CSS to have a go at manipulating an ebook should be child's play. You won't regret it in the long run.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Just popped in to say Hello from a fellow ex-APL programmer (way back in the 80's). If you mastered the convolutions and opaqueness of APL then picking up enough HTML/CSS to have a go at manipulating an ebook should be child's play. You won't regret it in the long run.
Can I sidetrack to say APL in the 70's while still in high-school??
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote