Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Organizing magazines

I'm considering the NC for future (and possibly past) magazine reading.

I'd like to be able to organize B&N-bought magazines and sideloaded magazines according to title and date (possibly by year as well). Will the shelf system allow me to do that?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, you can. Newspapers and magazines can be placed on shelves. Different item "types' can be placed on the same shelf as well.

To clarify: Content on shelves are displayed by Title and Most Recent. You can name your shelves in any way you see fit, though you can't have nested shelves the way you have nested folders on your computer.

Last edited by SCION; 12-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. Is there any known limit to the number of shelves? Can they be moved around or reshuffled relative to each other?

Finally, can a magazine you buy from B&N be moved to a shelf containing other sideloaded content?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
As far as I know Idont think there is a my shelf limit. To answer your second question yes sideloaded and bn bought magazines can be shelved together.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
What I want to know is with newspapers and magazines, new subscribers are given a "14-day free trial."

If this is the case, why do I get billed immediately after my "free 14-day trial" begins?

Granted if I cancel, say, and day 12, I should be refunded 100%, but even then, it says my refund will be prorated.

Amazon's 14-day free trial is just that. No charge hits your card until the 15th day, providing you don't cancel...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
What I want to know is with newspapers and magazines, new subscribers are given a "14-day free trial."

If this is the case, why do I get billed immediately after my "free 14-day trial" begins?

Granted if I cancel, say, and day 12, I should be refunded 100%, but even then, it says my refund will be prorated.

Amazon's 14-day free trial is just that. No charge hits your card until the 15th day, providing you don't cancel...
I dontbthink it really makes a differnce the end result is the same. If you dont subscribe you get your money back.
what i would like to know is why doesn't amazon support epub?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This is a gripe of mine as well. I'm used to the way Amazon approaches free trial subscriptions.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Prorated? How is that free?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:

Are you sure they billed you and just not ran the card?

this is from their website:

All first-time subscribers receive a FREE 14-day trial. If you cancel your subscription before the end of the 14 days, you will not be charged. If you do not cancel the subscription, deliveries will continue and your default credit card will be charged automatically at the monthly subscription rate. Your subscription will automatically renew each month unless you choose to cancel. You are only eligible for one free trial for each eNewspaper and eMagazine.

They may initially run the card but that doesn't mean they charge it. What happens is the amount goes into "pending" depending on the Bank or Credit Card company a store such as BN has a certain amount of days to send in the approval to change it from a "pending' or some call it a "hold". If it's not sent in then the hold or pending goes away and nothing is charged.

this very very common. Say for example you go out with your friends to a bar and start a tab. The bartender will ask you for a credit card and will run it throughout your time spent at the place. At the end you pay with cash. But if you check your account you will have "hold" of the amount of time at the bar. Then in about 3 days (that's my banks time limit) the charge/hold is gone.

I think that is what happens

Last edited by boswd; 12-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Are you sure they bill you and just not run the card?

this is from their website:

All first-time subscribers receive a FREE 14-day trial. If you cancel your subscription before the end of the 14 days, you will not be charged. If you do not cancel the subscription, deliveries will continue and your default credit card will be charged automatically at the monthly subscription rate. Your subscription will automatically renew each month unless you choose to cancel. You are only eligible for one free trial for each eNewspaper and eMagazine.

They may initially run the card but that doesn't mean they charge it. What happens is the amount goes into "pending" depending on the Bank or Credit Card company a store such as BN has a certain amount of days to send in the approval to change it from a "pending' or some call it a "hold". If it's not sent in then the hold or pending goes away and nothing is charged.

this very very common. Say for example you go out with your friends to a bar and start a tab. The bartender will ask you for a credit card and will run it throughout your time spent at the place. At the end you pay with cash. But if you check your account you will have "hold" of the amount of time at the bar. Then in about 3 days (that's my banks time limit) the charge/hold is gone.

I think that is what happens
You are absolutely correct. It's just when you say free trial subscription I'm not anticipated any type of hold. $1 is acceptable if you want to verify that it's a valid card. Amazon doesn't do any type of credit card authorization.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

the hold should be only for a few days, i guess its how some transactions are just set up. But overall nothing ever does get charged.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
The way B&N does it is just annoying. I get a text the instant something hits my debit card and it is annoying when you, say, sub to 6 trial magazines. All those temporary charges hitting my card. Why can't they just bill you at the end if the trial? Oh well, makes too much sense I guess. Or maybe Amazon patented it?!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Agreed, Amazon's system is set up way better for that and free books also. As to the question about side-loaded Magazine's, if they are PDF the covers don't show up on the shelf. You just get a blank generic book. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I have 3 years worth of one Magazine and I made my shelf (Name of Magazine) plus year. You can make it how you like and have the same magazine or book saved to more then one shelf.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
To clarify: Content on shelves are displayed by Title and Most Recent. You can name your shelves in any way you see fit, though you can't have nested shelves the way you have nested folders on your computer.
FYI: I took this to mean the NC didn't allow nested folders. In fact, the SD card content displays as nested folders, so you can organize content by folder if you wish. (Just what I wanted to hear... I'm planning on organizing magazines by title and year.)

If wifey doesn't get this for me for Xmas... it's top of my list to get for myself.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Thanks for clarifying for others.

Tags
files, magazines periodicals pdf, nook color, organizing