Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Linking to a specific post within a thread.

How do I link to a specific post within a large thread?

I know I can click on the post number link, but that opens ONLY that post in its own window.

What I want is the link that will open that entire thread, but jump to the post I want. This is what happens when you quote a certain thread in a response, and get the little button with the "view post" caption. This link does exactly what I want, but I haven't been able to get to it without dummy replying to the message I want and extracting it from the quote, which is kind of a pain in the butt.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Didn't realise it could be done, Stinger. What I've tended to do is to copy and paste the address bar and name the poster. EG: See Stinger's post at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85140 Hope this is of some use. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing in most cases too Neil, and usually it's not a problem.

There are a couple scenarios, however, where doing this isn't practical. The first being very large threads that have pages upon pages of posts. The second being the case where I myself have made multiple posts in a single thread. Also note that these two are not mutually exclusive.

The reason I actually asked this question stems from both those scenarios. It was a rather large thread, in which I made multiple posts. I was replying to a user that didn't read the entire thread (which is all too common), and was bringing up a point that had been discussed earlier. I didn't really want to re-post the relevant text verbatim, as big threads are annoying enough without that kind of redundancy and back-tracking, but I also didn't want to respond with a crass RTFM answer.

Anyway, just for reference:

This is the link structure you get from just clicking the post number within a thread (#60 is this case):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=60

This is the desired link I want, which I extracted from the "view post" button within a quoted response:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...683#post914683

What I'm looking for in some way to generate the second link without needing to quote the thread in a response, previewing the post and grabbing it from the button.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It think it's just enough to copy the first address and replace "showpost" with "showthread", you get this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=60
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man

Kludge fixes work for me! Thanks Jellby
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi stinger, looks like jellby found a good solution that i didn't know about. the way i do that is first click on the number of the post in the top right corner of the post (for instance, your post above this one is #5), which will open a new tab called "view single post", with just that post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=5
in the top right corner there, where i clicked on the post number, there is now a title : "Thread: Linking to a specific post within a thread. View Single Post" and you'll notice the name of the thread is a link. clicking on that link brings you back to the full thread with focus on the specific post. just copy the url from that page :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...867#post933867
and it should jump to the post you're trying to reference.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man

Ahh fantastic!

That's exactly what I was looking for Zelda, thank you!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i'm glad i could help.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
It is also exactly the same structure you see in your browser when you post a new post. Of course, zeldinha zippy zeldissima('s way) is much more elegant.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Except you use the "Quick Reply" as I just found out.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1

Isn't the "post" BB code what you want.

After clicking on the post #, copy the internal post number from the URL, in the case of the first post on this thread it is 933790.

Then use the BB code [post=933790]look here[/post]

i.e. If you want to go the first post in this thread, look here.

This places you at a specific post, and you can go forward or backward in the thread it's in.

Am I missing something in what you're trying to do?

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-31-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

Isn't the "post" BB code what you want.

After clicking on the post #, copy the internal post number from the URL, in the case of the first post on this thread it is 933790.

Then use the BB code [ post=933790]look here[/post]. (remove the space after the first "[")

i.e. If you want to go the first post in this thread, look here.

This places you at a specific post, and you can go forward or backward in the thread it's in.

Am I missing something in what you're trying to do?
nice ! i didn't know about that method (i don't know much about bb code, maybe i should look into it). thanks wde ! that's what i love about this place ; so many helpful and knowledgeable people. i think we now have 3 different answers to this question, 2 of which i didn't know about.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I didn't know about that method***

Neither did I, Zelda. The above line bewtween the asterisks and in italics and with your name mentioned in my own response is the lazy way I usually go about it. It also saves repeating or linking to an entire message when you merely want to comment on a single line. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***I didn't know about that method***

Neither did I, Zelda. The above line bewtween the asterisks and in italics and with your name mentioned in my own response is the lazy way I usually go about it. It also saves repeating or linking to an entire message when you merely want to comment on a single line. Hoots. Neil
yep, i learn new things all the time here. in your case, you might be interested to know that if you want to quote a single post and reply to it, you can just click the "quote" button underneath it (feel free to delete all but the relevant parts of the post), or if you want to quote several posts and reply to all of them, you can click on the "multi-quote" button under each one ; that's this one : when you click it once it will turn pink, click it again to de-select it if you change your mind. after you've selected all the posts you want to quote, just click on "new reply" and they'll all be lined up in the order you clicked them. exciting stuff, eh ?
Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Stinger
Asha'man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks wde ! that's what i love about this place ; so many helpful and knowledgeable people.