Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Did you know?

The day I met up with RM, I had a little accident in my purse.

I was carrying around a bottle of water, and didn't realize the lid wasn't on right.

Long story short, its sitting next to me on the floor, and I suddenly realize my feet are in a puddle of water. I quickly dumped out my purse, and realized, to my horror, my new phone was at the bottom of a pool of water. ARRRRGGGG.......

Its an lg env2, and when I opened it........more water came out. To make things worse, there were some peppermints in my purse, and the water had melted them and everything was sticky! Wiped everything off, and figured it was a lost cause........

Luckily, we had insurance on it, but I got busy, and forgot about it for a couple of days. I had taken the battery out and laid it on the table in two pieces........

Yesterday, my husband calls me at school, (I was using his old ugly one) and the readout says "wifes phone"

He had put the battery back in, plugged it in and let it charge, and now it works like new!

Had I panicked and sent away for a replacement right away, I would have never known that just letting it dry completely would do the trick, and I would have been out $50......(deductible)

amazing what kind of abuse these things can take.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I can give you a whole list of electronics that will hold up to cat pee.

Short list.

But, yes, if left to dry completely and as long as it is not immersed for too long, water (being non-corrosive) will not generally destroy electronic equipment that is off when it gets wet.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i did not know
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Halfway through that I started thinking "let it dry out before you get a replacement"
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Halfway through that I started thinking "let it dry out before you get a replacement"

See? Even old people can learn new things!
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Had I not been quite so brain dead, I might have thought to mention it at breakfast .... sorry.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Had I not been quite so brain dead, I might have thought to mention it at breakfast .... sorry.
Its okay, its understandable after spending the night in that fleabag hotel, then trying to follow my directions........
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Its okay, its understandable after spending the night in that fleabag hotel, then trying to follow my directions........
Heh heh heh .... following DG's directions ... sort of an oxymoron that ....
Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
one of my ex-wives gave great directions, she said left, i went right, she said right, i went ladt, i made it there every time
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
one of my ex-wives gave great directions, she said left, i went right, she said right, i went ladt, i made it there every time
Okay, so my husband KNOWS I"m hopeless this way, yet when we used to travel, he would wait till we were about a mile from the exit then say

"hey, grab the map and tell me if this is the right exit........"

By the time I found the freakin' map, we'd be past the exit..........never mind I couldn't find which exit he was talking about.......
Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

My mother, whom I loved dearly, was the WORST at directions. I remember her trying to drive us a few miles to the beach when we first moved to California. We were half way to Yuma before I was able to convince her that she was headed the wrong direction.

Me: Mom, the sun simply does NOT set in the East!!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
That sounds strangely like a(n) RM experience. Are you sure you didn't get some of RM's mojo on you by being in such close proximity. Do you have any idea how strong a trapped Texas Guinea Pirate's aura can be? Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
RM sounded a bit ticked after staying in that fleabag hotel and the "desertgrandma GPS system" being on the fritz and getting her lost. Are you sure she didn't loosen the cap on that water bottle just a little? I've heard that crash victims aren't always "all there" afterwards. I'm just sayin'.

It's good to know your phone is now resurrected and minty fresh.

I'll go back to my corner now.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I can give you a whole list of electronics that will hold up to cat pee.

Short list.

But, yes, if left to dry completely and as long as it is not immersed for too long, water (being non-corrosive) will not generally destroy electronic equipment that is off when it gets wet.

arizona Magno Drink Makes Sliding Mechanisims Stick Though, and destroys Microphones.

my girlfriend can attest to that.

then she lost the replacement at the mall.

all in all, she bought that phone 3 times. shes now on the 4th paid for phone in just over a year.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
My rent-a-geek friend usually recommends to his clients that electronics that have been exposed to water be left alone for about a week before trying to turn them on or recharging the battery. Of all the spilled-upon electronics he's dealt with, beer usually does the worst damage. I would have thought that something sticky like soda pop would be worse.
I usually have a cup of tea while I am reading, but I am very careful to keep it away from my ebook reader and audiobook player.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
i did not know
Actually, I have heard of several people that put their computer keyboards in the dishwasher to clean them. It gets all the schmutz out. You just have to wait a week or so to make sure it is thoroughly dry before you try to use it again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote