Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #61
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Note that Adobe will not be delivering Flash Player for Android 4.1. So Nexus 7 will not be able to consume Amazon Instant Video (which already does not work very well on my Xoom, running 4.0.2). At least until Amazon delivers a video app for Android.
Yup. Amazon instant videos no longer play correctly on my Acer A500 since it updated to Android 4.0.3. I am extremely disappointed about that. Playback was perfect before then (Honeycomb 3.2.1). I did not update to 4.0.3 on my 7" Acer A100 for this reason, which is such a shame because I do love some of the ICS enhancements (like better notifications and home screen folders). The A100 is still using Honeycomb, so the videos play fine.

I hope that Amazon develops a video format that doesn't use Flash or (even better!) comes out with a video app. They would sell/rent many more movies if they did—and I would be very happy!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would love to get it for Hubby when it comes out if it plays Netflix. I only use my Kindle Fire for reading so there no need for me to have one.
He's just discover Netflix. *grumbles* He'd love to have a tablet to watch them on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
That's actually a positive thing. I have ordered a Nexus 7 and it will not have any Flash code on it.
It's a negative if you thought you'd be able to enjoy AIV on Nexus (I'm not in that group myself, mostly because it is more pleasant to access it through our BluRay player, with a large screen and decent audio and comfortable seating <g>).

But I don't see any reason Amazon cannot app-ify it for Android (if not iOS), by way of hedging their bets and maintaining or extending the 'reach' of their digital media ecosystem. Accessing AIV through the amazon.com website has always been a pain, even with a PC, and it is certainly not what mobile users expect.

Google's stuff is all accessible via a browser, but at least some of that is not optimized for mobile browsers (for example the ebook viewer). And again, for frequently visited sites, apps are where it is at.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #64
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The funny thing is that I bet you 100% Google was inspired by the Otter launcher on our Fires. I love the library layout on the 7. I REALLY, REALLY hope Amazon opens up the API in the next one. Would LOVE to have my ComiXology issues all over the carousel.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #65
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Last edited by The Terminator; 07-01-2012 at 01:40 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #67
JKatz88
JKatz88 began at the beginning.

Device: Ideapad A1
the cloud wars

Quote:
Maybe in a few years, but these devices are for the here-and-now, and in the here-and-now, even if it always worked perfectly and 'the cloud' was totally safe and reliable, the fact is Wifi is NOT ubiquitous, and cellular data can cost $5/GB.
Very good point. Cloud technology is not perfect yet, but I have trust in it. It is serious.

According to an article I read, the cloud wars worldwide has collected $830 million, spent on file and backup storage services in 2011, which is expected to nearly double this year to $1.2 billion!

I will personally not mind an SD slot or any expandable storage for the Nexus 7. But I do agree that wifi availability and speed has to be better because as APK mentioned, it can cost a lot, especially if you have a crappy data plan.
JKatz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #68
The Terminator
Retired

I'd pay $5/GB no problem, here in Canada you pay around $12 a gig for 3G.

Last edited by The Terminator; 07-06-2012 at 12:11 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #69
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Try roaming on AT&T while overseas. A mere $19.97 per MB, thats $20,500 per GB
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #70
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Yup. Amazon instant videos no longer play correctly on my Acer A500 since it updated to Android 4.0.3. I am extremely disappointed about that. Playback was perfect before then (Honeycomb 3.2.1). I did not update to 4.0.3 on my 7" Acer A100 for this reason, which is such a shame because I do love some of the ICS enhancements (like better notifications and home screen folders). The A100 is still using Honeycomb, so the videos play fine.

I hope that Amazon develops a video format that doesn't use Flash or (even better!) comes out with a video app. They would sell/rent many more movies if they did—and I would be very happy!
Which is rather strange. Amazon Instant Video, and the Hulu Website (not Hulu plus) work fine on my Touchpad running ICS 4.0.4. --- and they did on 4.0.3. I still use a lot of websites with flash and I am not having any problems with flash videos at all. So unless there is a way to get Flash running on 4.1 I would rather not upgrade and not get a device with the new version.

Perhaps Flash games won't work, I never tried those, but video runs great. Even when using a VPN service.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #71
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
So unless there is a way to get Flash running on 4.1 I would rather not upgrade and not get a device with the new version.

Perhaps Flash games won't work, I never tried those, but video runs great. Even when using a VPN service.
Adobe didn't say that it wouldn't work, just that it was not supported and they were going to remove it from the Android store.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #72
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Which is rather strange. Amazon Instant Video, and the Hulu Website (not Hulu plus) work fine on my Touchpad running ICS 4.0.4. --- and they did on 4.0.3. I still use a lot of websites with flash and I am not having any problems with flash videos at all. So unless there is a way to get Flash running on 4.1 I would rather not upgrade and not get a device with the new version.

I'm glad you're not having any issues with Amazon instant videos on your Touchpad with 4.0.3/4.0.4. I wish it still worked for me because that's one of the main reasons I purchased my 10.1" tablet.

I don't have any problem with Flash on websites, but the Amazon videos certainly don't work properly with Android 4.0.3 on my Acer A500. The sound and video are choppy and out of sync. It worked perfectly with Android 3.2.1. They still play fine on my 7" Acer A100, which I purposely haven't upgraded from 3.2. Both tablets are running the same version of Flash; only the Android version is different.

On Adobe's bug report page for the Amazon instant video problem it is stated:

Quote:
With ICS, we use Android frameworks' OpenMAX AL for hardware decoding of H264 videos.

Per Android documentation, they only guarantee support for Baseline profile encoded videos - http://developer.android.com/guide/a...a-formats.html

Amazon videos are Main or High profile videos and hence get software decoded which is why they are choppy.
I've read that it's been a problem with tablets from several manufacturers since ICS came out in January. Adobe has now closed the bug report with no resolution to the problem. I was excited when they released an Android Flash update in early June, but there was no fix included.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #73
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'm glad you're not having any issues with Amazon instant videos on your Touchpad with 4.0.3/4.0.4. I wish it still worked for me because that's one of the main reasons I purchased my 10.1" tablet.

I don't have any problem with Flash on websites, but the Amazon videos certainly don't work properly with Android 4.0.3 on my Acer A500. The sound and video are choppy and out of sync. It worked perfectly with Android 3.2.1. They still play fine on my 7" Acer A100, which I purposely haven't upgraded from 3.2. Both tablets are running the same version of Flash; only the Android version is different.

On Adobe's bug report page for the Amazon instant video problem it is stated:

I've read that it's been a problem with tablets from several manufacturers since ICS came out in January. Adobe has now closed the bug report with no resolution to the problem. I was excited when they released an Android Flash update in early June, but there was no fix included.
Did you check out xda-developers.com? Some custom ROM might solve your problem, on the Touchpad every Android ROM is custom (of course) but some of the early ICS ROMs back in February didn't work with HD videos and videos were very choppy.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #74
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Adobe didn't say that it wouldn't work, just that it was not supported and they were going to remove it from the Android store.
It doesn't sound good. Especially considering that Google is even removing flash support from its Android browsers already. I am sure somebody will get it working, I guess. But not out of the box, which sucks. In the end, they are just giving us another reason to some day upgrade to an Intel Win8 tablet.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #75
geoffwood
Addict

Quote:
It doesn't sound good. Especially considering that Google is even removing flash support from its Android browsers already. I am sure somebody will get it working, I guess. But not out of the box, which sucks. In the end, they are just giving us another reason to some day upgrade to an Intel Win8 tablet.
It's about moving the content to better supported technologies, like HTML5, not about driving a change in hardware. With Adobe pulling support for Flash on mobile platforms and with so many people moving to mobile platforms to consume content, the content deliverers will transition away from Flash, or they will die. Amazon wants eyeballs, so they will move away from Flash.