Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How's your vocabulary?

Here's a splendid site: http://testyourvocab.com/

Just indicate the words for which you can give a definition, and it'll estimate (+/- 10%) how big your English vocabulary is.

The first page is to get a very rough estimate of your vocabulary, the second page is specific to you, and allows the site to get a really good estimate.

My vocabulary is around 36,000 words, according to the site.

They have some nice data on vocabulary growth with age.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Nice site - thanks.

My vocabulary is 35,400 apparently. Pretty sure some of those words were made up though!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
28,900 words
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
28,900 words
Read more, and use the built-in dictionary.

Actually, vocabulary size is closely related to age. According to the preliminary results at the site, vocabulary increases at about four words a day from age 3 to 16, and then starts to slow, and as adults is more like one word a day.

And from 50 onwards, seems to almost stop. Hmm.. I think I'll have to take my own advice.

Word for today: uxoricide. (It was new to me!)
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
words

But a few were in French and maybe two in Italian.
It might have helped having been married to an American for 14 years, plus one American fiancée and a girlfriend with whom I had to converse in English. Correct it, make it two. I was forgetting the German one. She used to call me Spatzi. Very tender. A 220 lb little sparrow.

Last edited by beppe; 08-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Read more, and use the built-in dictionary.

Actually, vocabulary size is closely related to age. According to the preliminary results at the site, vocabulary increases at about four words a day from age 3 to 16, and then starts to slow, and as adults is more like one word a day.

And from 50 onwards, seems to almost stop. Hmm.. I think I'll have to take my own advice.

Word for today: uxoricide. (It was new to me!)
Good for you. I contemplated it a few times until they introduced divorce in Italy. Not true. It is just a blague
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
My score was 35,800, but then I'm old and my brain cells are not renewing as they should. I think that the advantage given by age thing must be true only up to a certain point. Probably close to the time at which your daughter follows you around checking for damp cushions.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Hey, tres cool site - thanks for posting! Hit 39,500 FWIW....
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
36,000 and i saw a few legal terms in my second page list.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Alas, 36,700. I should have taken a second year of french, and maybe some latin.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
27,600 -- I must not be reading the same books as the rest of you!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color

That was a really fun test. Thanks for posting this!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
41,800 words.

Did everyone else look up those words with which they were unfamiliar?

That was fun, thanks for calling this to our attention!

Last edited by redbees; 08-10-2011 at 02:29 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
27,600 -- I must not be reading the same books as the rest of you!
Me too. 24,100...I gotta do something about this number
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

That was a really fun test. Thanks for posting this!
Wow, that's an impressively large vocabulary. Especially considering that their scoring only goes up to 45,000!

(Read their pages about the test — it's interesting stuff.)