Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
For Annotation: Which Is The Best E-Reader?

Hi!

I would like a 9.7 e-reader, and if I remember well read somewhere that the Kindle DX now has it made possible to make annotations on it.

But there is also the Pocketbook 903 with scribble feature.

I wonder if one can use PB 903 to simply underline and scribble annotations and corrections in the text, like one would on a paper pad. Kindle does not have this.

Or else, with which of the 2 mentioned devices it would be easier to make annotations? Including in pdf's if at all possible (yet.)

Or should I better postpone and wait for the development in this?

Last edited by Lode; 01-11-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle DX does not currently permit annotation of PDFs. I believe the Pocketbook does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
I wonder if one can use PB 903 to simply underline and scribble annotations and corrections in the text, like one would on a paper pad.
Unfortunately, you can't do annotations or underlining inside the text with the PB903. So perhaps it may be better to postpone and wait.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Email Amazon and let them know that you would like to buy a DXG with the annotation in PDF capability. The K3 has the ability but it has not been sent to the DXG yet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Hi! I would like a 9.7 e-reader -
As you asked for a (pure breed) eReader and the DX and 903 I'm a bit here, but for working on eInk and all sorts and forms of annotations on pdf-files an eDGe is probably the device.

You'll have to look at it as an android tablet with additional 9.7 eInk display and the weight of a netbook - but for annotating documents and working with them it simply works.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could also consider the iPad, which is truly excellent for reading and annotating PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys.
The thing is that I like the 9.7 screen. Must be because I am so used to working on my laptop.
Plus I read everywhere that the e-ink is a lot easier on the eyes.

The eDGe is fine for those of us who don't mind the smaller screens, and having a notebook attached to the e-reader.

I'm sure Amazon have thought of it, as many people -especially students, teachers, and scientists- have complained about the lack of annotation/editing facility.

Maybe PB someday comes up with what I suggested. Or someone else. It is just logical to combine the scribbling with the texts. Someday...

If patience is a virtue, I'll have to practice that virtue now... and who knows for how long.
Let it be.
: D

Last edited by Lode; 01-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Lode
Zealot

PS:

The Asus DR-900 seems to have the scribble in text feature. I just found out surfing without even knowing about this e-reader.

Hmm. it's not perfect yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqyNq36hlJQ

Just a bit more of that ol' patience.

Oops! What about this one? The Samsung 9.7 e-Ink reader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lCdace0tw

Last edited by Lode; 01-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Boox M90 will be shipping beginning of May. It will have all the capabilities of the X60 with a 9.7" display.

That includes clipping text, highlighting(with notation) , scribbling in text etc. Plus it now supports Doc, DocX, PPT, PPTX , XLS along with PDF EPub and the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M90.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	64568  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Lode
Zealot

Looks good, Dulin's Books. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you're Welcome. I just found Charbax's video of the device and posted it here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115979
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Lode
Zealot

Dreaming:

A 12" full colour, scribble/note taking e-reader:

I just left the below message with these guys who have a concept design for a 12" colour e-reader
http://eink.com/concept_showcase_12inch_reader.html#

"I hope someone will not think it too extravagant to actually produce the 12" colour e-reader.
I would very much like a device which shows the full size of text in a document like it appears on a A4.
And being able to scribble annotations on it -just like on a paper document- to later correct the text -either by plugging in a keyboard, or on a notebook, laptop, pc- would be ideal for students, academicians, and writers.
And there would be tons of those interested. I just found this example:

"I'm starting to think the only viable solution for my (academic) purposes is something at around 11-12 inches diagonal."
Top post of the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-107305.html

Thank you for your imagination and creativity. It is not unrealistic at all.
Lode"

Their Triton branch is into colour eInk displays...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Thanks guys.
The thing is that I like the 9.7 screen.

The eDGe is fine for those of us who don't mind the smaller screens
: D
Ah, you are probably mixing up the "enTourage eDGe" and the newer product by enTourage, the "pocket eDGe". The "EE" (as we eDGe users like to call it ) sitting on my desk here has a 9.7'' eInk screen and a 10'' LCD screen. Would not have got it otherwise. The "PE" is smaller.

You are right about the "attached netbook" (or rather "android tablet") of course.

@Dulin's Books
Quote:
Onyx Boox M90 will be shipping beginning of May. It will have all the capabilities of the X60 with a 9.7" display. That includes clipping text, highlighting(with notation) , scribbling in text etc. Plus it now supports Doc, DocX, PPT, PPTX , XLS along with PDF EPub and the rest.
Ah, looks interesting. Wonder how the people will review the intial firmware compared to that of the PB 903 now and how many and which improvements the latter will see up to then.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 01-12-2011 at 05:33 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Wonder how the people will review the intial firmware compared to that of the PB 903 now and how many and which improvements the latter will see up to then.

exactly- it's a bit of a race to May
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
goldencore
Enthusiast
goldencore began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 FW 5.4.5.1 (JB)
Wow, I think I want to have that Onyx!
goldencore is offline   Reply With Quote