Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Yet another Case/Cover question

I've read with interest the discussion of Kindle 2 cases being used for the 950.
Can I assume that ANY kindle 2 case, using elastic corner holders, will work with the 950, or does it all depend on the specific case?
Anyone using a Kindle 2 case with good success?
I'm looking at the M-Edge Halsea and Platform cases.
Comments? Warnings? Suggestions?

many thanks.
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I looked at some K2 cases on the internet yesterday. Most seemed okay, but a few were made with rounded edges at the 4 corners because the K2 has rounded edges. The squared (or nearly squared) edges of the 950 won't work in a few cases where the corners were raised to help cradle the K2. So be aware of that.

I finally gave up and just ordered Sony's cover. In the end I got free shipping and a 15% discount due to registering my 950, so it cost less than the other cases I saw that might or might not have fit well.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Tieton

Yeah: the rounded corners wouldn't work with the 950, that's why I'm asking about those using elastic (or in the case of the M-Edge, two leather corner "pockets" and two elastic holders, bottom and top, respectively.

Last edited by Tieton; 11-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have read postings that the Nook M-Edge Latitude case fit the 950 ok. I think it varies depending on the cover. Do you live near a store that sells covers and has a return policy?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have read postings that the Nook M-Edge Latitude case fit the 950 ok. I think it varies depending on the cover. Do you live near a store that sells covers and has a return policy?
Best Buy lists that case in some stores. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the one nearest me, but I didn't check it out.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I had to modify the Nook case I was using with the 600 to work...but it does work. However, I don't recommend my method. I liked the Nook covers (Nook Classic, not Nook Color, by the way) because of the "ledge" design on the bottom, which I felt was more secure than straps on all four corners. However, that "ledge" made the 950 stand up too high in the cover. So, Chris cut it diagonally through the corners of the "ledge", and carefully removed the sides. Once I seal those cut edges off and remove the loose stitching where the sides were, it'll look okay.... but it won't be perfect. Which is why I don't recommend my method.
But at least I still get to use the cover I paid 30.00 for...and you can't see anything has been modified when the cover is closed.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Tieton

Just heard from M-edge. I asked if their case(s) would fit the 950. Here's their reply:

Thank you for your interest in our products! All our product are designed to be custom fit for specific devices and unfortunately we cannot recommend using any of our products with any other device. Due to the slight difference size our Kindle 2 products would not securely hold your PRS 950. Currently we have no immediate plans to make products for the Sony PRS-950. Should we receive a considerable amount of customer interest we may decide to make accessories for this item in the future, however, it would not be until sometime after the holidays. I have made note of your interest and passed it along to our Product Development team. Are there any specific items that you would really like to see for this device? We are keeping track of all product requests and it is very helpful to know which accessories our customers are hoping for. I look forward to hearing back from you!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Tieton

I'm thinking I'll make my own, along the lines of this:
http://gadgetsin.com/make-your-own-n...-ipad-case.htm

I like the incognito-ness of this, and the way it can stand on its own, so to speak.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
OddsRatio
OddsRatio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
Target has a sale on its M-edge stuff for Nook and Kindle. I ordered the executive case for the Nook and they also have one of the other trip jackets. They offer free ship on the m-edge sleeves and I figure I can return it in the store if it doesn't end up fitting and just get one off of etsy.

If you're going to bite the bullet and go with the Sony case, Howard's has it cheaper than anywhere else and has free shipping. They also let you use paypal.

http://www.howardcomputers.com/acces...fm?id=S8533799

Last edited by OddsRatio; 11-23-2010 at 04:07 PM.
OddsRatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Tieton

I think, but I'm not certain, that the reference in the howardcomputer site above is for the 900, not the 950: check the dimensions given...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
OddsRatio
OddsRatio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
It's certainly hard to tell, but the model number PRSA-SC95B matches the model number for the 950 at sonystyle. I guess I would call before ordering.

Last edited by OddsRatio; 11-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
OddsRatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Tieton

Always wise! I've not found the Sony website to always be accurate.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

I both a Targus flip case for Kindle at Best Buy. It fits the 950, although a bit tight. Nice case.
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
remesh
remesh began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950SC
Received my PRS-950 and the M-Edge Platform Cover for Kindle 2. It is almost a perfect fit.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp
remesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by remesh View Post
Received my PRS-950 and the M-Edge Platform Cover for Kindle 2. It is almost a perfect fit.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp
Thanks a lot for that tip! Just ordered one myself.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote