Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Diana D
Diana D began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Syncing and "I'm Reading" Issue

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have been lurking for quite a while! I decided to join since I've taken the plunge and purchased a Kobo. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I've got one issue.

I finished my first book (purchased from the Kobo store) a couple days ago and it left my "I'm Reading" page and returned to my Library ("Finished"). Then, when I plugged the reader in to Sync, it re-synced the completed book. On unplugging, I discovered my finished book was back on the "I'm Reading" page, listed as NEW and unread.

I emailed Kobo about this, because it's kind of annoying. Not only is it time-consuming when syncing (which is already a slow process), but it's going to clutter up my "I'm Reading" list.

Kobo's response was, basically, that I have to move finished books to the "Deleted" folder on the Kobobooks.com website. They said the book can stay there for 30 days without disappearing and can be moved back out of the folder anytime before that; after this it disappears. They said this is the only way to avoid this situation. I don't really find this to be a solution, because I paid for the books and don't want them deleted - but I don't want to keep re-syncing and having them returned to the reader as new.

What I'm wondering is - if I download the epub versions of these books (so far I've only purchased from the Kobo store) and store them in ADE, can I manage this better? Again, I haven't done much more than download ADE because I was using the Kobo desktop program, so I don't really know what's possible. But, theoretically, could I manually move epub files between ADE and the reader? Storing the epubs on my computer once I'm done reading them?

Hmm.

Anyway...hello!
Diana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

I've found that books that are listed on the I'm Reading list as 'NEW', will eventually vanish from that list if you don't open them. You can force this behavior by plugging in the USB cable, and then disconnecting it again. Any ebooks that are NEW and unopened will get filed away into your bookshelf. (This MIGHT not happen with books directly from the Kobo store, as I only have experience with regular epubs I just drag onto the Kobo through file manager.

Quote:
What I'm wondering is - if I download the epub versions of these books (so far I've only purchased from the Kobo store) and store them in ADE, can I manage this better? Again, I haven't done much more than download ADE because I was using the Kobo desktop program, so I don't really know what's possible. But, theoretically, could I manually move epub files between ADE and the reader? Storing the epubs on my computer once I'm done reading them?
The simple answer to this is yes. You should be aware, however, that these epubs (even the "free" ones from Kobo) are still wrapped in adobe DRM, so you'll either have to abide by the limitation that comes with that, or strip the DRM (pm me if you want to know more about this, there are simply 1-click methods). But even with DRM, the epubs are stored locally when you load them into ADE.

In fact, until we see an update, I would suggest you use ADE to load books from the Kobo store, and avoid the Kobo 'Sync' function altogether. There are some serious flaws with the 'Sync' in the desktop app: it ALWAYS resets your I'm Reading list so finished books become new again, and you lose your place in ones that are open.

I also encourage you to take a look at the sweet little ebook program called "Calibre". If you do decide to take your purchased books and strip the DRM, managing your epub library with Calibre is a breeze.

Last edited by Stinger; 05-14-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
As far as using just ADE to add books to your Kobo, if you do this there's the problem with the tiny fonts people have experienced.

When I first got mine I uploaded my purchased books (that I bought from Kobo) using ADE, but they all displayed in a tiny font that couldn't be made large. I emailed Kobo and they told me to sync my device with the desktop app, which fixed the problem.

I've only synced my Kobo once, so I haven't experienced what you have, but I can see how it'll be annoying and frustrating.

Did you email Kobo back asking why you had to delete them from your library and if they're making a fix for this? I don't want to delete books I've purchased either.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Diana D
Diana D began at the beginning.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I did respond to Kobo, I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I'm going to play around with ADE this weekend and see how it goes.
Diana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana D View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have been lurking for quite a while! I decided to join since I've taken the plunge and purchased a Kobo. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I've got one issue.

I finished my first book (purchased from the Kobo store) a couple days ago and it left my "I'm Reading" page and returned to my Library ("Finished"). Then, when I plugged the reader in to Sync, it re-synced the completed book. On unplugging, I discovered my finished book was back on the "I'm Reading" page, listed as NEW and unread.

I emailed Kobo about this, because it's kind of annoying. Not only is it time-consuming when syncing (which is already a slow process), but it's going to clutter up my "I'm Reading" list.

Kobo's response was, basically, that I have to move finished books to the "Deleted" folder on the Kobobooks.com website. They said the book can stay there for 30 days without disappearing and can be moved back out of the folder anytime before that; after this it disappears. They said this is the only way to avoid this situation. I don't really find this to be a solution, because I paid for the books and don't want them deleted - but I don't want to keep re-syncing and having them returned to the reader as new.

Hmm.

Anyway...hello!
Hi Diana,

Did you try rebooting your kobo ereader? Does the 'new-but-finished' book still appear?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You can force this behavior by plugging in the USB cable, and then disconnecting it again.
This worked perfectly. I added a bunch a books via calibre and they would not leave my "I'm Reading" page. Thanks Stinger!
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
But don't the books you buy on the Kobo website also stay in your "Purchased" list forever?
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

This issue drove me nuts because I hate clutter but I had to adapt to having a messy library and 'I'm reading' list. I have also adapted to the list displaying that I am in the middle of the books no matter how many times I have paged through to 'finish' both on the website library and the reader.

Now I just read and ignore the mess since Kobo has said they are aware and simply suggested deleting and undeleting.

If you don't undelete in time and the book disappears you can go into the book store and click 'add book to my library' to get it back if you want it to show in your library.

It will always be in the purchased page.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
I still find this kind of annoying.

I'm not sure why but I actually want the book I've finished reading to be in my "Books" section. It's annoying that I have to take it out of the "My Library" on the website so it doesn't constantly show up on the "I'm Reading" section of the Kobo. Even tho I've finished it.

I guess I'll get used to it.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
^^I'm with you, Samantha. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I either have to continiously remove them from my I'm reading list upon syncing, or else not have them on my reader at all. I've got all the books I've bought and read set up on the desktop app on their very last pages, so when I do add a new book, all I do is open the old ones and "finish" them again to remove them. This has been the biggest annoyance so far to me (aside from inconsistent battery life), and something I really hope they address in an future upgrade. They need to figure out a way that we can keep the books on our readers without them re-appearing all the time.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
let me add my vote for calibre, which is a lovely (free!) application that eliminates the need to futz with kobo desktop (defective) or ADE (*bleh*) to keep your library organised.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... for calibre ... Free ...

I think of Calibre as "donation-ware." the author doesn't mind us sending him a few bucks if we deem the program worthwhile.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
But don't the books you buy on the Kobo website also stay in your "Purchased" list forever?
Yes they do.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
I still find this kind of annoying.

I'm not sure why but I actually want the book I've finished reading to be in my "Books" section. It's annoying that I have to take it out of the "My Library" on the website so it doesn't constantly show up on the "I'm Reading" section of the Kobo. Even tho I've finished it.

I guess I'll get used to it.
yeah, it's an annoying workaround. I'm in the same boat as you. We're working to implement better library management on the desktop application.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
What is the ETA on resolution of the 'im reading' fix Sameer?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote