Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Calibre extension - "print driver"?

Dear All,

I use Calibre extensively as the software that Amazon should have included with my Kindle DXG - I use it mainly to convert to MOBI format.
Now, following a discussion I'm having on the Kindle subforum, I wonder if it's possible to use/re-tool Calibre to automate some functions. What I basically want is to be able to "print" to my Kindle from any application. I know I can save from the browser or from word, and then use Calibre to convert to MOBI (or epub, etc., depending on the reader) or print to PDF. But PDF does not have reflow, and converting file by file seems a bit cumbersome.
Is there any chance a "Calibre print driver" can be developed to be used in any application? It would amount to a "Save as MOBI-EPUB" function in every program... Of course I'm not a programmer and this probably is easier said than done, but just in case.
Thanks!

g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A print driver is meant for fixed size static layouts. calibre produces ebooks. If you want to print for you Kindle print to PDF setting the page size to be the kindle screen size.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Wow - thanks for the quick reply. I already do what you suggest - but then I get the usual "fixed size static layout" of the PDF, which is not always nice. After a month using my kindle, I've been converted to the "reflow for the people" movement!!
I was thinking as the "printer driver" more as a metaphore - it would be nice to have a "save as mobi/epub" option everywhere, and since "print" works in every application a printer driver could be a hack.
Does this make sense?
Thanks again
Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately, the way print drivers work is that they are supplied with a static representation of the content by the application, The driver is only responsible for converting that static representation into a form a printer understands.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
guiyoforward
Zealot

OK, I see - thanks. I'm really new to this ebook world - do you think an automated "Save as PDF"+"PDF to ebook" sequence would make sense?
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
OK, I see - thanks. I'm really new to this ebook world - do you think an automated "Save as PDF"+"PDF to ebook" sequence would make sense?
Probably not. If you read here, you'll find that the majority of conversion problems are pdf related. It's great for printing (which is why you see pdf print drivers) but not for e-book display (which is why you don't see html print drivers or mobi print drivers).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote