Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Trouble with Calibre finding eBookreader files

When I installed the eBookreader for Sony's CONNECT store, I had it install the program to D:\Program Files\Sony\Reader and used the same path as the storage area for my books.

When I installed Calibre, however (which is installed to D:\Program Files\Sony\Calibre) it isn't locating any of the books in the Sony directory or on drive D:\ at all. In addition, I can't seem to find the books by searching through Windows Explorer, either. I know that they're on my system because they're still listed in my eBookreader, but I don't know how to find them so that I can use Calibre.

I'm still using Windows XP, if that makes a difference.

Also, if I read correctly, Calibre can convert Mobipocket books to the Sony format, correct? Is there an additional module or file I need to download, or can it do that natively? If it's native, do I just click the "convert e-books" and it'll take it from there, or are there settings I'll need to set up?

Thanks again for taking time to help me with my newbie questions It's much appreciated!!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
When I installed Calibre, however (which is installed to D:\Program Files\Sony\Calibre) it isn't locating any of the books in the Sony directory or on drive D:\ at all. In addition, I can't seem to find the books by searching through Windows Explorer, either. I know that they're on my system because they're still listed in my eBookreader, but I don't know how to find them so that I can use Calibre.
Calibre stores the books in a SQLite database.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...k-files-stored

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, if I read correctly, Calibre can convert Mobipocket books to the Sony format, correct? Is there an additional module or file I need to download, or can it do that natively? If it's native, do I just click the "convert e-books" and it'll take it from there, or are there settings I'll need to set up?
Yes, select the book and press convert... it will convert whatever format you have stored in the library to .lrf. You can use Save to Disk to get at the .lrf file... or you can Save to Disk directly to your Sony... or you can use the Copy to Device button.

BOb
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
thorswitch
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Calibre stores the books in a SQLite database.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...k-files-stored

BOb
Thanks! That's good to know - but do you know where eBookreader stores the files? That's the one I'm looking for at the moment, so that I can then import them in to Calibre

And thanks for the info on the Mobipocket, too!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It'll do it natively, no need to do anything unless it's a DRM'd file then you must remove DRM first.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks! That's good to know - but do you know where eBookreader stores the files? That's the one I'm looking for at the moment, so that I can then import them in to Calibre

And thanks for the info on the Mobipocket, too!
By eBookREader do you mean Sonys software, eBook Library? If so you can see where a book is stored by going into the Preview Mode... on the right side of the title is a little "i" icon... click this to open the info pain. This will tell you the path to the ebook.

The sony software does not organize your library... when you import a book it is linked to in place... Sony doesn't move it. Downloaded books seem to be put in My Documents\My Books\eBook Library

BOb
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
thorswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It'll do it natively, no need to do anything unless it's a DRM'd file then you must remove DRM first.
How will I know if it's DRM'd? And I understand that links cannot be made to DeDRMing software, but is there a filename that can be legally posted here to allow me to try and track it down?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
thorswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
By eBookREader do you mean Sonys software, eBook Library? If so you can see where a book is stored by going into the Preview Mode... on the right side of the title is a little "i" icon... click this to open the info pain. This will tell you the path to the ebook.

The sony software does not organize your library... when you import a book it is linked to in place... Sony doesn't move it. Downloaded books seem to be put in My Documents\My Books\eBook Library

BOb
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for - Thank you SO much!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
How will I know if it's DRM'd? And I understand that links cannot be made to DeDRMing software, but is there a filename that can be legally posted here to allow me to try and track it down?

Thank you very much!
You'd want mobidedrm. Don't know how easy it is to find anymore.

As to knowing if it's DRM'd. Unless it's a Mobi file from a public domain type site, Baen or a Fictionwise MultiFormat book (which are already also available in Sony format) then chances are it's DRM'd. Almost any file from any large publisher will be DRM'd. If they're files you already have the Mobi desktop software will tell you if they're DRM'd. If they're files you plan to buy you're better off looking for it in MS Reader (LIT) format than Mobi IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thank you very much!
You should know based on where you get it. Usually you are told if something is secure. For example, Fictionwise has "secure" ebooks, they all have DRM, then "multiformat" which do not have DRM.

BOb
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm using 0.4.56 and it seems to be very stable and worry-free (which makes me reluctant to upload the newest release of 0.4.68).

My problem is that I accidentily put a lowercase on the word "fantasy" in the tags. I tried correcting it to my preferred "Fantasy," but it won't take.

Is there a way to entirely delete (from both sides of the panel) the word "fantasy" with this lower case and start over?

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
thorswitch

One thing I noticed is that when it imported the files, the file names give me NO clue as to which book is which - does the previous version that you've got installed detect the name for you? Or am I missing something that would more easily tell me which file is which?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You'd want mobidedrm. Don't know how easy it is to find anymore.
It's not easy. They are no longer up on pastebin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebookreader, mobipocket conversion