Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Who has a netbook?

Why, I don't know, but I want one so bad. They are so danged cute! I could sell one of my Kindles and buy one, but first I have to know.........

Do you like/love it?

Do you read your books on it? How is that experience?

What are the downsides? (Besides the obvious lack of storage/memory)

Which one do you have? Why did you get that particular one?

what is your power source, do you have to find a 'hot spot' for free internet access when you are out an about?

What am I not understanding about them?

I wouldn't be doing anything that required security on one, no banking or anything.

I"m just thinking this would be a great way to store Calibre and all my treasures..

Tell me about yours, and thanks in advance for all the responses.....!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, nice timing dg ! i've been thinking about getting one too, for client meetings. if things keep going this way it will soon become indispensable. i just have to find one that's small and light enough to carry around without annoying me too much, but still has a decent sized screen and keyboard. and is not too expensive. hm...

suggestions are welcome.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, nice timing dg ! i've been thinking about getting one too, for client meetings. if things keep going this way it will soon become indispensable. i just have to find one that's small and light enough to carry around without annoying me too much, but still has a decent sized screen and keyboard. and is not too expensive. hm...

suggestions are welcome.
Does this mean great minds think alike, or that sometimes even tiny minds (mine) hit the spot?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have one - a Dell Mini 9 with a 16GB SD drive (ie no hard disk). Absolutely superb machine for mobile e-mail, web browsing, etc. I take it away with me whenever I go away; it's about the size and weight of a hardback book.

Takes a while to get used to not having a hard disk. The machine is totally silent, which is a bit "spooky" at first.

16GB may not sound like much, but it's perfectly adequate for a "travel" machine. I have all my eBook creation tools on it, so I can create books "on the go", and I still have about 9GB free on it.

Makes a lousy bookreader - the "letterbox" format screen is just the wrong "shape", and if you turn it on its side, the keyboard gets in the way.

Some netbooks have a full-featured but very small keyboard. Dell go the other way, and have a restricted, but pretty-much full-size keyboard. Eg, there's no function key row - to get a function key you press a special "Fn" key together with one of the alphabet keys.

I'm very happy indeed with mine. Great little machine for mobile use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Makes a lousy bookreader - the "letterbox" format screen is just the wrong "shape", and if you turn it on its side, the keyboard gets in the way.

Some netbooks have a full-featured but very small keyboard. Dell go the other way, and have a restricted, but pretty-much full-size keyboard. Eg, there's no function key row - to get a function key you press a special "Fn" key together with one of the alphabet keys.

I'm very happy indeed with mine. Great little machine for mobile use.
Two really important points here. Thanks HarryT for your imput.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Two really important points here. Thanks HarryT for your imput.
I have an Acer Aspire One with one gb of memory, 160 gb HD, XP, and a decent sized keyboard. Yes; I read on it (like it, too), but it's just that tiny bit too big too be entirely portable, screen glares, too. This netbook doubles as laptop as I am on the move all the time and need a handy tool. It's perfect for what I use it for, except for the glaring screen.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
I also have a Dell mini 9 and agree with Harry's comments.

IMHO, unless you enjoy reading books on a computer screen, with the associated glare and eye strain, they are a total waste of time as an ebook reader.

Where they score is portability, fits in my jacket pocket! I have quite large hands so I do find the keyboard a little small (abt 60% of fs.) & often hit wrong keys. (This should not be a problem for dainty ladies hands).

With no Hdd battery life is a good 3hrs, as long as you disable the WiFi & blue tooth when you don't need them. About half that without.

Mine also has the 16GB SD drive which comes with the Win XP version, (8GB with Linux), I also have an 8GB SD card doubling the available storage.

Overall a great little machine if you need portability - but don't swap your E-ink device for it.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
If anyone is interested in the Lenovo Ideapad, I can dig up a friends and family code. At least for Canada, and possibly the US. Not too sure about Europe but I could check.

I've actually been looking at one of these for myself.

Feel free to PM if you are interested.

Cheers.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Overall a great little machine if you need portability - but don't swap your E-ink device for it.
Wouldn't think of it. I have two K1's..........
Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've been thinking about getting one too. I see them on woot occasionally for around $200, refurbished.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have an Asus EEEpc 4g. I'm writing on it right now. In fact I'm on MR through it most of the time.

It's setup with Linux so it does not have to carry a huge Microsoft elephant on its back, that makes it quick and agile for surfing and writing; which is my major occupation on a computer anyway. For this type of activity it is faster than the base computer and I can bring it anywhere through the house and shop, with the aid of its built in wifi.

It has a measly 4gb flah based hard drive but it proved its usefulness when I dropped the device from the kitchen table. No harm done.

The screen is only 7" . Fortunately I don't yet need glasses for narrow sight and if the computer is close enough, it's perfect for me.

After a year with it, I'm still happy and it gained a dedicated place in the living room on a side coffee table as a readily accessed wiki. It starts on a dime (thanks to Linux) when it has to be put to use.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
cnet did a comparison of the "top 10" netbooks, their number one choice is the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. any thoughts on this model ?

i'm also wondering whether i should consider an "ultra portable" instead of a netbook... weight is important (the lighter the better or i really won't feel like dragging the thing around with me) but since i'll mostly use it for client meetings i have to have a decently-sized screen for showing maquettes and i need a keyboard i can actually type on as well. on the other hand, i don't necessarily need it to be a fully-functional work station (unless i think of it as a backup post just in case my main pc dies in the middle of a project, which is generally when that happens), and i don't want to spend too much money on it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Love my netbook!

I have two netbooks, a 9" tablet classmate purchased from work, and an original Asus Eee PC 7" with 4GB Ram and the celeron processor (before the current generation of Atom and only runs at about 633 MHz). I haven't used the classmate much as I just got it.

But, I love my Eee! I just came back from a business trip and the Eee was a great traveling companion, light and easy to carry. I have a 5-hour battery to use when traveling. It has wonderful connectivity, plays movies, and I find the form factor convenient for reading txt and HTML books. I turn it to portrait-mode, make the display full-screen, turn the backlight down as low as possible, and hold it like a book. It's so comfortable that sometimes my hand automatically starts to try to turn the page! For evening reading in bed it is perfect - no extra lighting needed and quite silent.

That being said, I think the 10" is probably the best general netbook size as it is easier to browse the WWW and read PDF business documents. Some come with a 9-10 hour battery and most have a hard disk option. Asus has announced a 10" Eee tablet for the end of the year (if I remember correctly). That might be interesting if there is a page-turn button on the frame.

Cons:
Netbooks are not pocket-portable the way that the current ereader devices are and nowhere near the battery life. Even with the backlight turned down, the LCD is probably harsher on the eyes than eink (but I am not certain as I can go 2-3 hours with my 50's eyes in comfort which is fine for my needs). It seems that the classmate tablet display is not as comfortable as the Eee - don't know why, perhaps the tablet layer makes it brighter? I can't seem to lower the brightness as much even at the lowest setting.

Pros:
Netbooks are fully-functional PCs, with Internet access, dictionaries, video playing, and run programs including office applications such as a word processor and spreadsheet. Don't have to care about book formats and re-formating PDF to fit a tiny screen. Book page turns are instantaneous and without the flashing effect.

I am rambling a bit, but I've given it some thought since I'm in the opposite position from you: with 2 netbooks and a mp3 player with audiobooks for my purse, do I also need a dedicated reader device? I decided to go ahead and give it a try and am now waiting for my jetbook to arrive. So, my two-cents-worth is to get the netbook AND keep one of your Kindles for when you need the portability.

P.S. - I found out a side-benefit of a netbook-as-book-reader: no one can tell that you're reading a novel during a boring business meeting!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
cnet did a comparison of the "top 10" netbooks, their number one choice is the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. any thoughts on this model ?

i'm also wondering whether i should consider an "ultra portable" instead of a netbook... weight is important (the lighter the better or i really won't feel like dragging the thing around with me) but since i'll mostly use it for client meetings i have to have a decently-sized screen for showing maquettes and i need a keyboard i can actually type on as well. on the other hand, i don't necessarily need it to be a fully-functional work station (unless i think of it as a backup post just in case my main pc dies in the middle of a project, which is generally when that happens), and i don't want to spend too much money on it.
The Asus Eee PC 1000 HE is the one I have. I LOVE IT!! I stuck an additional stick of RAM in it, so it's got 2 gigs (really easy to do .... took about 15 seconds). I have rather large hands, so the keyboard is a little tight for me, but I can still pop out a document on the run if I need to.

I don't like it for reading, but then eink has sort of spoiled me, and I don't like looking at a lit screen for too long.

I also picked up a 500 GB Free Agent drive, so I have effectively 660GB of HD space. The combination is just plain great.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I bought my wife a pink Acer Aspire One.

It's very nice, the screen resolution is very nice. My wife uses it to surf the net for hours, and I've done the taxes on the device.

The device is small and light. My wife bought a larger purse to put the netbook and and it fits fine.
It comes with WindowsXP and is a full fledged PC. First thing I did though is install firefox and openoffice.

One recommendation is I would buy a DVD/CD-ROM USB drive and the 6 cell battery over the 3 cell this will double your batter life from 2.5 to 5 hrs.

The screen is small for a PC but bigger than most eInk. I've yet to read a book on the device but I would imaging the expereince would be like reading on any laptop.

=X=
A couple of recomendat
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote