Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
swinderz
swinderz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
5.6.1 PW2

So I turned on the Wifi attempted to update KO reader OTA (i was in the app) without noticing my freaking kindle updated to 5.6.1 itself... little did I know that it is possible to silent update without my demand.

So I've checked a lot of threads here about the 5.6.1 update
a majority says I am screwed.

I only want KOReader working since I am read pdfs *large pdf >500MB

KUAL says
"KUAL v2.5. Handle FW >= 5.6.1 (w/ the help of the latest JB)."
but what is the latest JB?

I tried to install it but i get an Error: An error occured while trying to open this item. If the problem persists, please contact Kindle Customer Service at www.kindle.com/support

So I've read the FAQs then I see this:
"You either fell victim to a silent OTA update, or you unregistered your device since the last time you tried to launch a Kindlet.
The fix is simple: reinstall MKK."

So ok, I will try install MKK again
got the file and update grays out...

according to my backups my jailbreak should be on the following, according to my backups:
kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N-r10721.tar
kindle-mkk-20140214-r10682.tar
KUAL-v2.4.1-gdd8365d-20140726.tar(1)

So is my kindle screwed as most forums answered or is it fixable to get to KOReader?
swinderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinderz View Post
So I turned on the Wifi attempted to update KO reader OTA (i was in the app) without noticing my freaking kindle updated to 5.6.1 itself... little did I know that it is possible to silent update without my demand.

So I've checked a lot of threads here about the 5.6.1 update
a majority says I am screwed.

I only want KOReader working since I am read pdfs *large pdf >500MB

KUAL says
"KUAL v2.5. Handle FW >= 5.6.1 (w/ the help of the latest JB)."
but what is the latest JB?

I tried to install it but i get an Error: An error occured while trying to open this item. If the problem persists, please contact Kindle Customer Service at www.kindle.com/support

So I've read the FAQs then I see this:
"You either fell victim to a silent OTA update, or you unregistered your device since the last time you tried to launch a Kindlet.
The fix is simple: reinstall MKK."

So ok, I will try install MKK again
got the file and update grays out...

according to my backups my jailbreak should be on the following, according to my backups:
kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N-r10721.tar
kindle-mkk-20140214-r10682.tar
KUAL-v2.4.1-gdd8365d-20140726.tar(1)

So is my kindle screwed as most forums answered or is it fixable to get to KOReader?
Currently screwed...if you had JB version >= 1.13 you would have been okay. You'll need to wait until (NOT "if" ) the Dev's here get things sorted.

Last edited by GoSharks; 12-14-2014 at 02:29 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

NiLuJe said he has a solution for people with outdated jailbreaks (GoSharks can attest it works?) and will put it together when he has a chance -- after the holiday season.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@eschwartz-
Nope, I was a very early adopter of JB 1.13...it worked great. It was everything else I tried to use through MRInstaller that went boom.... turned out to be an issue with WinZip 18 changing file endings (or some such). Changed to WinRar 5 and all was good.... (hence NiLuJe's admonition against winzip). Though for a couple of days I got to experience some of NiLuJe's saltier vocabulary until he figured it out

Afterward, I couldn't delete WinZip fast enough....
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see.

You and pghaworth were our guinea pigs, I thought you both installed 5.6.1 while on the JB v1.12.

And yes, 7-zip for the win!

(Or "tar -xzf file.tar.gz" )

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I see.

You and pghaworth were our guinea pigs, I thought you both installed 5.6.1 while on the JB v1.12.

And yes, 7-zip for the win!

(Or "tar -xzf file.tar.gz" )
I was on JB 1.12 and installed 5.6.1, but used 7-zip before and after, and have ever since. Great zip option.

I have everything pretty well buttoned down, but considering adding the firewall.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

OK, right -- so you at least can attest that NiLuJe has something good up his sleeve.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
swinderz

it looks like i wont be using my pw2 this x-mas season... any idea what i should install to prevent this from happening again? once NiLuJe releases the new trick?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The new trick is basically future-proofing -- something we never thought might be needed.

Now the bridge operates in upstart as well as the never-overwritten fixup script, and most importantly it allows you to sideload an emergency.sh script to the userstore, which will be run as root by upstart itself. To top it off, we have a functional su.

Amazon cannot play tricks with changing the EUID anymore.

It is still possible they could wipe the fixup script, which was their own hijacked feature, so not nearly as likely...

In any event, see Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates
Old 12-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
swinderz

ok NiLuJe has made my x-mas... I can use the kindle in this season!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

If we ever see each other dude I will definately buy you a drink in person!
(Central London)

So is there anything I need to do to make this future proof!?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yeah, faster than expected! NiLuJe you rock!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
OK, right -- so you at least can attest that NiLuJe has something good up his sleeve.
Most excellent, indeed.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-18-2014 at 06:44 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
swinderz

so can i access the amazon store still to purchase books for my kindle ?

what do i need to do to make this future proof?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
so can i access the amazon store still to purchase books for my kindle ?
Yes.

Quote:
what do i need to do to make this future proof?
Just send us a complete, technical description of all firmware changes that Lab126 intends to do in the future and we will make allowances for them.

Translation:
Our crystal ball is off-line and probably not even Lab126 knows what they might change in the future.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
swinderz

maybe I should re-phrase it...
if i was to access the amazon store now would i lose the jail break?

I have important documents that i want to read in KO Reader
but then i also want to read stuff from amazon