Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Gene R
Gene R
Gene R began at the beginning.

Device: Kimdle Fire
Fire

I use a Kindle Fire as an eBook reader using Overdrive. I download books directly to the Fire. Satisfactorily.

There are currently 5 books on the Fire. Have not been able to locate any of their titles either in the Books or Docs folders. There are files there but their name's are unrecognizable, being a long alphanumeric string in Books or some other not recognized file names in Docs. And further the Fire interface shows files that I can`t find in the Docs folder. And the Carousel show books for which I cannot find files. Ah the joys of proprietary formatting. Interesting as all this may be, it`s not my question

With time I've begun to acquire books from different sources. And Calibre seems a good way to manage this growing collection. However Calibre dosn`t see the books on the Fire that Overdrive does. Anyone have an explanation and fix.
Gene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Gene R - are you aware of this plug-in ==>> [GUI Plugin] Overdrive Link ( click)

I don't use it, so I don't know whether it is a solution for your particular problem.

Plugins are a significant feature of calibre, here's a list thereof ==>> Calibre - Index of plugins

Welcome to MobileRead

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Gene R
Gene R

Thanks. I'll follow that link
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre cannot and will not see books located in obfuscated app storage, as the OverDrive app does.
There is no fix, and really, there needn't be, not for library books.

I would suggest using another ereader app, which stores books in standard locations. Moon+ and Mantano are both popular here.

You may also wish to look at Calibre Companion, which does a phenomenal job integrating Android devices with calibre, exposing all of calibre's metadata, custom columns, and more, on your tablet. The developer is a longtime MR member and calibre code contributor, and very responsive to input.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Gene R
Gene R

Fire

The problem is Fire and Amazon file structure design.

Calibre Companion would be helpfull except it claims not to work with Fire. Admittedly I have not tried to load it anyway

Does anyone have a way to have Fire (initial version) work with Calibre?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, well, a lot of people have had success downloading CC on one Android device (from the Amazon appstore) then backing it up and sideloading it to the Fire. Once it is on the device, all that matters is that CC is locked with Amazon's appstore encryption.

The only reason CC "doesn't work" with the Fire tablets, is because Amazon doesn't want competition for the Kindle builtin app.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The only reason CC "doesn't work" with the Fire tablets, is because Amazon doesn't want competition for the Kindle builtin app.
I was able to purchase, and regularly use CC on my Fire HD6. Lately I've noticed that a lot of apps in the Amazon Appstore are incompatible with the older tablets...

Gene, are the books that you cannot find on your Fire, downloaded using the Overdrive app?

If that's the problem, they are probably in the Overdrive app. When you borrow a book using Overdrive, instead of downloading the book, you can have it sent to a device registered to your Amazon account. The book will appear in the carousel, and you can read the book on your Fire using the Kindle app instead.

Hope this helps!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
When you borrow a book using Overdrive, instead of downloading the book, you can have it sent to a device registered to your Amazon account. The book will appear in the carousel, and you can read the book on your Fire using the Kindle app instead.

Hope this helps!
The OP's profile states he lives in "Canada". So: no!

OverDrive does not offer Kindle checkout outside the US.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The OP's profile states he lives in "Canada". So: no!

OverDrive does not offer Kindle checkout outside the US.
I did not know. is right! That sucks!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Gene R
Gene R

Kindle Fire in Canada

The "obfuscation" of file design is frustrating for someone of my generation.

I have a similar problem with a Magellan GPS. Bought a second one because it came with life-time map updates Have discovered that I can't transfer the Address files from the older to the newer one. I can see the several files but not their content so don't know where the address files are I searched the machine for a known street name and had no hits. Don't want to spend more time on it since it will sufice to add addressees as needed.

Increasingly the designer/manufactureres are assuming that a user will not want to "lift the hood". After all, how many drivers know how to do more than change the oil on their car.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Gene R
Gene R

Over drive is available in Canada. The local Libraries, in this province,B.C., offer it

Initialy the local Library said thqt it could not be done. But they now have it
Old 12-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene R View Post
After all, how many drivers know how to do more than change the oil on their car.
Not even that, because to do so they'd need to know how to drain the swamp sump

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have OverDrive on my 2012 Fire HD Works fine.

OP how about posting in the Amazon Fire Forum... Bet you get the help you need there.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Over drive is available in Canada. The local Libraries, in this province,B.C., offer it

Initialy the local Library said thqt it could not be done. But they now have it
Yeah, but only for EPUB right?

Anyway, have you tried Mantano or Moon+ for non-library books?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The "obfuscation" of file design is frustrating for someone of my generation.

I have a similar problem with a Magellan GPS. Bought a second one because it came with life-time map updates Have discovered that I can't transfer the Address files from the older to the newer one. I can see the several files but not their content so don't know where the address files are I searched the machine for a known street name and had no hits. Don't want to spend more time on it since it will sufice to add addressees as needed.

Increasingly the designer/manufactureres are assuming that a user will not want to "lift the hood". After all, how many drivers know how to do more than change the oil on their car.
Should have gone with Garmin. Their software will allow you to transfer your saved address from one device to another.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote