Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The book title at the top is not present for non-kepubs, at least on a Kobo Glo (fw2.5). In fact unless you take steps to prevent it in the css, the first line of text is very close to the top bezel.

If you want to see the title you just have to tap a book page to bring up the standard in-book options. The current time displays for a few seconds and is then replaced by the title at top centre. Similarly if you want to see your current chapter, selecting the navigate page option will display it, as will displaying the TOC.
That sounds great. Given that the Aura HD is a limited run at the moment, I'm very possibly going to pull the trigger tomorrow.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That sounds great. Given that the Aura HD is a limited run at the moment, I'm very possibly going to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Not going to wait for the Sony T3, then?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
A kepub.

S
Ok,
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not going to wait for the Sony T3, then?
I would wait if I knew the Aura would still be available.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #35
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Can someone confirm whether Aura HD can read .mobi files? it is not mentioned in either gooderead and engadget review. Any Aura HD owner readanga? If you do please make a video showing this capability with both modified (white space cutted) and original scanlations.

Thanks and congrats being among the first owners.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The specs for the Aura HD mention mobi files. And the other devices that it shares firmware with do support them. But, it isn't the best support. Firstly, they have to be DRM free. And I think it is only either older types or simpler files. I have loaded some that work perfectly, and others that are terrible. Because of that, I always convert them to epub. Or better still, find an epub version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #37
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Hmmmmph. Maybe it's just me, but from the title did no one else expect to see at least one photo in this thread depicting someone's impression of the Kobo Aura HD? You know, elbows out to your sides like the triangular shapes of the case back and shot from above, maybe with an LED front light attached? Maybe I'm too literal?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Hmmmmph. Maybe it's just me, but from the title did no one else expect to see at least one photo in this thread depicting someone's impression of the Kobo Aura HD? You know, elbows out to your sides like the triangular shapes of the case back and shot from above, maybe with an LED front light attached? Maybe I'm too literal?
And where is your picture to show us how it's done TechniSol ?
Interesting idea though .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #39
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I don't do impressions. Impersonations, sure, but not impressions. I've been impersonating a couch potato surfing the web on a tablet for hours now. Very realistic.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The book title at the top is not present for non-kepubs, at least on a Kobo Glo (fw2.5). In fact unless you take steps to prevent it in the css, the first line of text is very close to the top bezel.

If you want to see the title you just have to tap a book page to bring up the standard in-book options. The current time displays for a few seconds and is then replaced by the title at top centre. Similarly if you want to see your current chapter, selecting the navigate page option will display it, as will displaying the TOC.
But with regular epubs you lose chapter progress, and other things?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #41
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I don't do impressions. Impersonations, sure, but not impressions. I've been impersonating a couch potato surfing the web on a tablet for hours now. Very realistic.
Then you have done an impression on your couch.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But with regular epubs you lose chapter progress, and other things?
Yes, in a regular epub you see page num within whole book rather than page within chapter.

I'm assuming the AuraHD will be the same as the Glo in these respects.

To be honest I only have standard epubs so I'm not sure what goodies I'm losing, because I never had them. I did try the 'rename .epub to .kepub.epub' trick a few months ago but, at the time, there wasn't enough benefit (personal opinion only) to be bothered to do it for all books. Things may have changed.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes, in a regular epub you see page num within whole book rather than page within chapter.

I'm assuming the AuraHD will be the same as the Glo in these respects.

To be honest I only have standard epubs so I'm not sure what goodies I'm losing, because I never had them. I did try the 'rename .epub to .kepub.epub' trick a few months ago but, at the time, there wasn't enough benefit (personal opinion only) to be bothered to do it for all books. Things may have changed.
I wonder about the differences also.

Here is a screen shot of (what I think is) a kepub:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=93

I like the progress indicators, but I would miss the total number of pages, and I don't like the book title on every page.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I think the linked image is only for kepubs. I can see why it might appeal to many but I don't feel the need to jump through any hoops to get it for myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #45
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wonder about the differences also.

Here is a screen shot of (what I think is) a kepub:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=93

I like the progress indicators, but I would miss the total number of pages, and I don't like the book title on every page.
Yes it is a kepub.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote