Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
A plea for less negativity for the sake of negativity

1st off I’ll say that I have no problem with people bringing up problems/issues with Kobo and/or sharing their views and debating positives and negatives about Kobo devices and the firmware on them. That’s all good and healthy and what these forums are about.

What I would like people to think about however, is what purpose adding a post that is strictly a dig at Kobo (i.e. where the ONLY thing in the post is something like “… Kobo just keeps adding new bugs when they kill others” or “… good thing Kobo does thorough testing – not!”) serves when it adds nothing to the thread involved. Yes, we get it, you’re ticked off with Kobo (and with good reason in some cases). We don’t need to re-read that in thread after thread. It serves no purpose. And for some reason over the last few months this is getting more prevalent. You are driving regulars who come here and like to help others solve their problems away from this forum. All I ask is that you think about what purpose you hope to gain before you post something like this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and hopefully thinking about it.

Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hear, hear!!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Plus one from me too!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I agree. Thank you for your post.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I am unanimous in this!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I like my Kobo, and if my device could talk, I believe in my heart it would say it likes me too.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Well said !!!!!
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes, a few people have hit my ignore list for the constant unproductive carping at Kobo. Especially the complaints about "advertising" on the home screen. Can't we all just understand that Kobo is in the business of selling books and that if you want an ereader with absolutely no connection to a store, you should be prepared to pay much more for it. I will end here before I end up on a rant...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I couldn't agree more!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm 100% in agreement. It is really off-putting and sometimes seems to have been posted simply to provoke... And oftentimes by someone who doesn't even own a Kobo!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Being probably one of the biggest ones carping at Kobo for lack of quality control in the firmware department. I think I'll leave here for awhile. I actually agree that too much negativity is bad for everyone concerned and my constructive criticism has just turned into criticism and ...

Last edited by Danger; 01-13-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: removed due to more negativity
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I'd like to think that anyone who has been helped by info in posts they've read then award Karma.

From personal experience I know that it's the 'thanks received' that gives continuing pleasure.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
sento
Zealot
sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sento ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch 622
You're right with people who are constantly complaining. But you must also see new owners of a kobo. I bought my Glo before Christmas and made an update to 2.3.1. I was speechless over the lack of quality control. Especially after i read that all these bugs were mentioned in the beta group. So maybe most of the negative response is a result of the dissappointing experience which some of us made with their new devices.
Really, i was never so disappointed with the software of my reading device since i started reading with ereaders.
I don't want to hunt some hours for solutions for my kobo, who's not able to remember the page when i'm customizing the margins on the device. I want to enjoy reading, which is sometimes not possible with these bugs around. I wish kobo the best, but they must work at their quality control and software to end the constant criticism.

And what am i thinking in writing a complain? I don't know. I really don't know. I don't belive it helps someone. But sometimes it's a good feeling to write about the problems and i'm feeling a little bit better after doing so.
I hope you're not angry with me. It's only my second post about my problems with kobo. It coul be worse.
sento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
sento: I don't have any issue (and I don't think others do) with people reporting their problems, asking for help, contributing to the firmware request thread - all of that is what this forum is for!

I think robko's post is fairly clear; the issue is with a tiny minority of people whose contribution to threads is far too often limited to repetitive, non-informative snark. And so I offer a hearty "Hear hear!" to robko also.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I applaud the spirit of your post. I'm guilty of being negative at times, but I think you have to look at the larger picture.

In my case, it is a Love/Hate kind of thing. I voted with my wallet AGAIN, and bought aother Kobo product, new and at full retail this time around, despite problems, bugs, etc. that had been aired. I think that says a lot for Kobo inspiring me to chose their device because of what they've done right, despite things they may not have yet cleaned up.

If I give the impression that I'm too hard on them, I apologize, but I am so happy with the great parts of their design both hardware and software, and even in terms of simple styling right down to the black slider on the new Glo that I NEED to call them on the carpet where they can do better. Too many today subscribe to the notion that everyone is a winner, and "doing your best" is enough, blah, blah, blah. It's not, and I want to see Kobo get the rest of it right because they have great innovative features like adjustable stroke width fonts, the best, most evenly lit front lit high resolution display I could find, shelves which can be organized and filled from an external database like Calibre, etc. I so badly want to see them make the fixes that will take them from an innovative, but flawed status, to a full on polished juggernaut from a company that really does seem to wish to innovate and add value. I am so pleased to see them doing more than their competitors, even if some efforts require polishing. How cool is it to buy something that may be flawed, but at least see them innovating upon and adding features?

That said, negativity for the sake of negativity is a bad thing, negativity in the form of fair criticism is not a bad thing. It keeps us honest and most importantly aspiring to be better. If we merely gushed about the good we at worst would be fools, and at best, hypocrites.

Written by one highly self critical SOB.(You have no idea)

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-14-2013 at 01:05 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote