Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Linked endnotes in epub

I have a non-fiction book with a heap of endnote-references throughout. I'm splitting the book into separate xhtml files by chapter, and want the endnote-references to act as links to the relevant endnote in the 'Endnotes' chapter. I'd also need this to link back to the reference in the chapter. I have hundreds of endnotes and I'm trying to find the best/quickest way to do this is.

I'm working in IDCS5.5 and Textwrangler. This may be something better done on a code level or in Dreamweaver (which I have access to) - either way, any insights for a suggested approach would be much appreciated!
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
One reason for putting the endnotes at the end of each chapter would be to avoid having to dump the current chapter, open the endnotes, and repeat in reverse to get back. On some readers, like my BeBook, the chapter opening delay can get annoying. I think, but I'm not sure, that the anchor code will be simpler, as well.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for the reply pholy. I can understand having endnotes at the end of chapters, but in this case I'd like to stick to the pbook format. In either case, I have looked at how to manually code the links with anchors - but am hoping there is a more efficient solution. Working with hundreds of endnotes, the time involved isn't really viable (unless there is a clever workflow/find replace/grep trick to make this quicker).

I'd be surprised if no one has built a script for such a thing.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It depends on your source code. Usually I can do it via some RegExp. My Word macro for HTML does it automatically.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is one area where I've found it's easiest to compose the document in Word (which will fill in the links for you on endnotes) and then export to ePub using Atlantis Word Processor, which will preserve the endnote links. The result still needs to be cleaned up in Sigil (mostly to convert paragraph margins to em and to fix a few other things), but it's very usable.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
cancelled
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
saskir
saskir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
@pholy: Another thing why I wouldn't put endnots at th end of a chapter would be the time I need to get to the next one. if you don't need the endnotes you would be required to flip trough them for the next chapter.
saskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskir View Post
@pholy: Another thing why I wouldn't put endnots at th end of a chapter would be the time I need to get to the next one. if you don't need the endnotes you would be required to flip trough them for the next chapter.
That is a reason I would like them in the chapter. Most most books there are only a few and depending on pagination you might not even have an extra page. It also affords an opportunity to scan them quickly to see if there is something you missed. Unfortunately footnotes can be for documentation or might include explanatory information. There is no way to tell unless you follow the link. Having them at the end of the chapter will the chapter is still fresh on your mind is useful to not miss something useful.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Thank you DaleDe -

I love it when somebody comes up with a good reason why my silly speed/efficiency hacks make sense and are actually useful
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
One reason for putting the endnotes at the end of each chapter would be to avoid having to dump the current chapter, open the endnotes, and repeat in reverse to get back. On some readers, like my BeBook, the chapter opening delay can get annoying. I think, but I'm not sure, that the anchor code will be simpler, as well.
And then when you get to the part in the chapter with the endnotes, you have to page turn past it to get to the next chapter.

The proper way to do it is all the endnotes in one file with a style that does a pagebreak so when you go to the endnote, it is the only one shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is a reason I would like them in the chapter. Most most books there are only a few and depending on pagination you might not even have an extra page. It also affords an opportunity to scan them quickly to see if there is something you missed. Unfortunately footnotes can be for documentation or might include explanatory information. There is no way to tell unless you follow the link. Having them at the end of the chapter will the chapter is still fresh on your mind is useful to not miss something useful.

Dale
I have to disagree. Having something in the middle of the book that has a very good chance of taking the reader out of the story is not a good idea at all.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-30-2011 at 06:04 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please, don't put this document into Word. You have a rather good chance of having problems due tot he mess Word can make of it.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And then when you get to the part in the chapter with the endnotes, you have to page turn past it to get to the next chapter.

The proper way to do it is all the endnotes in one file with a style that does a pagebreak so when you go to the endnote, it is the only one shown.

I have to disagree. Having something in the middle of the book that has a very good chance of taking the reader out of the story is not a good idea at all.
I don't use footnotes in stories so much unless the are biographies. They are for reference works like histories. Try my Miller's Church history uploaded in the ePub section. In it the footnotes are after each paragraph that they occur in. They don't get in the way of the "story" but are handy if the eBook reader doesn't support links.

Dale

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I tend to put the linked endnotes immediately following the appropriate chapter/section, but I also provide a link at the very beginning of those notes (or more often at the end of the previous chapter) to jump past the notes to the next chapter/section.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-31-2011 at 07:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't use footnotes in stories so much unless the are biographies. They are for reference works like histories. Try my Miller's Church history uploaded in the ePub section. In it the footnotes are after each paragraph that they occur in. They don't get in the way of the "story" but are handy if the eBook reader doesn't support links.

Dale

Dale
Might not get in the way of the story, but would still be rather annoying. I think endnotes are the only real way to do so.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
virtual_ink
Zealot

It's the author and editors choice where endnotes go in each specific book. I'm not an editor so I'm not entering a debate on the pros and cons of placement. I merely want an effective way to turn hundreds of endnotes into links (with return links), wherever they are in the document.

Specifically, I'd like to know if there is a good way to do this in IDCS5.5 or in xhtml (GREP, custom built scripts, find and replace - anything quicker than manually adding links to/returning to the endote references!)

@JSWolf, "The proper way to do it is all the endnotes in one file with a style that does a pagebreak so when you go to the endnote, it is the only one shown."

This sounds great!

Any suggestions on how this is done? Any tips on how to do this quickly in a book with hundreds of endnotes?

Tags
endnotes, epub, indesign