Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
onlyreader
onlyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
onlyreader

welcome to mobileread ....
Thanks. Nice place to be. Hope I can also supply some information....
onlyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #47
onlyreader

Perhaps some first impressions about the SNE-60. Because it seems that there is not much information about it, which is not so surprising considering that Samsung is taking it off the market so short after introducing it:

Things I like:
- the wacom touch screen, really nice from the usage, and no diminished contrast like with the sony touch edition (not the new one coming soon)
- the fact that you can scribble on any kind of content, including PDFs
- the scribble is in standard format, as far as I can see, saved as bmp or something. So its great to export
- scribble can be done with different "pen sizes"
- outlook sync of the calendar (though I did not test this)
- PDF display: this is really cool, I can display even scientific papers including all nifty extras, no errors found during testing. No reflow though, but the usage is anyway great, you just tap two points on the page, and the part inbetween will be zoomed. Also the PDF can be rotated for reading. Note that it displays PDF as it is displayed on the computer, no changes in layout...
- speed: well, i have no comparison, but it seems fast. Especially if you switch it on from "suspend", it takes a second or two.
- It seems you can scribble on images, though I did not test it myself.
- exchangeable standard Samsung mobile phone battery
- nice haptics, though I have only comparison with the iriver story, which also was quite nice.

Things I dont like:
- firmware update does not work up to now, at least with the korean firmware, which is the only one available
- According to Samsung France website, this device does not exist, but the E65. I have no clue what this means.
- It seems that only epub, pdf and txt is supported
- scribbling only works on one zoom level at the same time, if you change it and start scribbling again, everything already scribbled gets deleted.
- scribbling in pdf only works in page view, not when rotated and not while zooming
- the "virtual printer" software which should allow printing into the device from any application does NOT WORK with W7 64

Features I am missing or I would like additionally:
- a possibility to categorize the books (at least I did not find the way to do it)
- editing the outlook calender would be a nice feature
- handwriting recognition or screen keyboard also for notes and calendar (it seems that many previews were talking about "handwriting recognition", but meant "handwriting possibility" instead.
- Wifi not only for buying books, but e.g. email or RSS

The price now is 249€ here (France) in Carrefour, which is still not cheap but a lot less than the initial price tag.
Overall, I liked it, but I am a bit unsure at the moment if I should get a new device in exchange or the money (the e60 had a crack in the case, thats why I returned it, and got the money back).
Any opinions about alternatives? I have the impression that this is a cool device, but if support stops now...

Oh and by the way, I was surprised it is NOT "made in china", but made in korea. Did not know that something like this is possible.

Last edited by onlyreader; 09-19-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #48
onlyreader

Some news considering the firmware update. I think the behaviour is different in each country. I downloaded the italian firmware (1003.0 is the only downloadable there), and the filename of the file is different. This leaves me with the following filenames and available versions:

Korean SNE60: filename "SNE-60.bin" latest version 1012.0
Korean SNE60K: filename "E60K.bin" latest version 1020.0
Italian SNE60: filename "E60IT-SC.bin" latest version 1003.0

So the correct filename should be known in order to update. I would guess that it should be always possible to switch language to english afterwards, at least with the french device with current firmware 1000 it is possible.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #49
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
As I pointed out, my greatest concern was that the sne-60 could not read ade at all. I could physically drag and drop whatever title to the book file on the computer, but the file would never open and the device would take an age to synch...warning me not to turn the device off...

...and I was left reading project gutenbergs...

For months now I have been waiting for an update - the 1012.0 is the latest on 23rd August from the Korean website - which would spout a link to a non-Korean bookstore! So I am looking forwards to whatever the UK site will create, and am hoping against hope the firmware helps me! When I purchased my reader, there was no clear support for ade...even though loads of people reading this are still crying *you can remove drm from ade*,
I just want to pay my nine dollars and have a book upload itself as easily as you can on a Kobo, or a Sony and so on.

If everyone can read ade on their ereader, then perhaps I did buy a dud...although four months ago, Samsung was not listed as a supported device on the Adobe site; now that it is, I suppose that's what I hope the update will fix!

For despite the few books that I have on the reader, and the therefore limited workout I put it through, it is still a joy to use.

side point: and yes, isn't it nice to be welcomed by a chocolate grasshopper?!
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #50
onlyreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingbird View Post
As I pointed out, my greatest concern was that the sne-60 could not read ade at all. I could physically drag and drop whatever title to the book file on the computer, but the file would never open and the device would take an age to synch...warning me not to turn the device off...

...and I was left reading project gutenbergs...

For months now I have been waiting for an update - the 1012.0 is the latest on 23rd August from the Korean website - which would spout a link to a non-Korean bookstore! So I am looking forwards to whatever the UK site will create, and am hoping against hope the firmware helps me! When I purchased my reader, there was no clear support for ade...even though loads of people reading this are still crying *you can remove drm from ade*,
I just want to pay my nine dollars and have a book upload itself as easily as you can on a Kobo, or a Sony and so on.

If everyone can read ade on their ereader, then perhaps I did buy a dud...although four months ago, Samsung was not listed as a supported device on the Adobe site; now that it is, I suppose that's what I hope the update will fix!

For despite the few books that I have on the reader, and the therefore limited workout I put it through, it is still a joy to use.

side point: and yes, isn't it nice to be welcomed by a chocolate grasshopper?!
So did you update your reader to the korean 1012 and then it worked? How did you do that? My reader did not take the update...

Last edited by onlyreader; 09-19-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #51
Drago81
Drago81 began at the beginning.

Device: SNE-60
update info - no file exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyreader View Post
So did you update your reader to the korean 1012 and then it worked? How did you do that? My reader did not take the update...

I have the same problem with update. I have bought E60 in Frankfurt Airport and the defaulted language is Dutch. I tray update with Korean and Italian version – but I have still the same info “no file exists”.
What must I do to install update with eng –eng dictionary
Drago81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #52
onlyreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago81 View Post
I have the same problem with update. I have bought E60 in Frankfurt Airport and the defaulted language is Dutch. I tray update with Korean and Italian version – but I have still the same info “no file exists”.
What must I do to install update with eng –eng dictionary
My guess is that you need to change the filename to the one expected by the reader. But because no update is available for the dutch version, we dont know what the filename is. Also I am not sure if there are no other things to change before.

For the eng-eng version, probably you would have to flash it with an UK update. Not sure if the korean version includes an eng-eng dictionary.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #53
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Drago81

Welcome to mobileread .... hopefully a solution will arrive for you.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #54
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Not that it solves your problem, but if you bought it in Frankfurt the language is more likely German.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #55
pbarrette
pbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with others

Device: ASUS EeeNote
Hi All,

The French file name is: E60FR-CP.bin.

[EDIT]

The Korean firmware may not work with just a filename change. The firmware header has a magic number that identifies each device type, and it appears that the Italian and French firmwares have been given a different magic number than the Korean E60.

The French and Italian versions are the same, however, so it is likely that all of the European versions will have the same magic number.

The magic numbers are as follows:
0x5320E804 Korean E60 (SNE-60.bin)
0x5120E804 Korean E60K (E60K.bin)
0x001010F0 Italian E60 (E60IT-SC.bin)
0x001010F0 French E60 (E60FR-CP.bin)

You should be able to load the Korean firmware by editing the magic number of the firmware file with a hex editor. The magic number is the first 4 bytes of the file.

[/EDIT]

pb

Last edited by pbarrette; 09-21-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Update information regarding firmware versions
pbarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #56
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
Wow! I was going to explain which tabs mean what in Korean, the most detailed of the Samsung sites, but pbarrette seems to have all that sorted for you guys! Now, if we could find someone who can explain what the most recent update does...I think it gave me the choice to buy from a Korean ebookstore...

[what she really wanted was for the device to read ade-ed.]

Still nothing from the lads at Samsung UK

...but hey, if you guys can read ade on your sne-60's, way to go!
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #57
onlyreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Not that it solves your problem, but if you bought it in Frankfurt the language is more likely German.
Definitely not, because the device is not released in the german market and will not be released. Therefore no german localization exists.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #58
onlyreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarrette View Post
Hi All,

The French file name is: E60FR-CP.bin.

[EDIT]

The Korean firmware may not work with just a filename change. The firmware header has a magic number that identifies each device type, and it appears that the Italian and French firmwares have been given a different magic number than the Korean E60.

The French and Italian versions are the same, however, so it is likely that all of the European versions will have the same magic number.

The magic numbers are as follows:
0x5320E804 Korean E60 (SNE-60.bin)
0x5120E804 Korean E60K (E60K.bin)
0x001010F0 Italian E60 (E60IT-SC.bin)
0x001010F0 French E60 (E60FR-CP.bin)

You should be able to load the Korean firmware by editing the magic number of the firmware file with a hex editor. The magic number is the first 4 bytes of the file.

[/EDIT]

pb
Now that is great. Clear why it was not possible for me to find it on the website. It is classified as a LCD monitor. And even a search on the website for E60 does not deliver this link. But going via support, you can find it.

Did anyone successfully update the reader cross versions?

Last edited by onlyreader; 09-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #59
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyreader View Post
Definitely not, because the device is not released in the german market and will not be released. Therefore no german localization exists.
I did not know that. That makes it all the more surprising that they have it in Frankfurt. How many Dutch-language readers do they expect to sell on a German airport?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #60
Alanis
Alanis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, I have one of these too! This will sound a bit mad, but try loading the files on and just waiting for a few days, trying to open them every now and then. Mine initially wouldn't detect the SD card, then wouldn't open the files, then spontaneously started behaving itself! I was really annoyed with it at first and now I love it to bits. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but at least it beats doing nothing whilst waiting for an update!
Alanis is offline   Reply With Quote