Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
quercle
quercle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying an ebook reader in Canada

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, and you guys seem to be a fantastic resource.

I've been considering buying an ebook reader recently, because I haven't been reading much in the last five years and I'd like to get back into it (but don't have libraries in walking distance).

I'm wondering about availability in Canada, though -- I gather that the Kindle 2 isn't a good choice (even if it were available, I'm not sure I'd be too into it, since it seems that Amazon's support for formats not their own is sketchy). The Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3, and Bebook, and Foxit eSlick are the ones I'm considering right now.

From what I can find, the Sony seems to be about $340 from Dell.ca or Sony, I can buy the Cybook at Archambault for $350, and the Bebook is available at their website for $279 USD + $15 shipping. Are there any other important places to buy any of these three readers that I've missed? Also, I gather that there are other Hanlin clones, which I'd like as much as the Bebook -- are there any places which sell them at similar (possibly cheaper?) prices, and ship to Canada?

Some other considerations... I find the Bebook really interesting because of the open source firmware OpenInkpot which I'd like to hack on a bit. Sony seems like it is the opposite - the Sony store says that you have to use their own software to buy anything from them, which is pretty icky. If the eSlick has really good PDF support, that would be interesting too, but I'm having trouble finding reviews (perhaps nobody has one yet?).

I'm mostly interested in reading free books (since the the idea of possibly paying more than the price of a "real" book for an ebook turns me off), so PDF support is pretty important. One with PDF reflow (and/or the ability to read PDFs in half-pages in landscape mode) would also be nice, since I spend a lot of time reading large PDFs (textbooks, journal articles, etc.). I realise that the screen on all of them is too small to really read PDFs properly, though, so this isn't too big of a deal -- the main purpose of it would be to read fiction. I'd be curious to know which reader has the best PDF support, though.

I'm also wondering about text files (eg from Project Gutenberg) -- do ebook readers typically format text files reasonably nicely?

Thanks for reading & I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations you have =).

Last edited by quercle; 04-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
quercle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If there is a Sony store near you, you should go in person. I went in person for mine and asked about returned units/open boxes. I got one for $65 off because it was an open box.

I have used PDF files from Feedbooks and had no troubles. I also buy multiformat titles from Fictionwise, which are a great value because you can download any of the available formats for the book so I can get a second copy for free to read on my iPod Touch. Lots to read on the Sony!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
quercle
quercle began at the beginning.

I actually went to the closest Sony store to me just yesterday to see if I could look at a demo unit, and they didn't have any demo units or even any in stock =(. They said they didn't have them in Quebec, somehow, but that they could order them.

Maybe I'll call some other stores, though, and see if they have any. Thanks!
quercle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by quercle View Post
Are there any other important places to buy any of these three readers that I've missed?
Books on Boards sells Sony and Bookeen Readers to Canada. The US/Canada version of the Hanlin V3 is the EZ Reader, there is supposed to be a new web site soon but the existing one is http://www.mobiebook.com/. The best price in the US for the EZ Reader is at Fry's, but for in-store pickup only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
How about http://mybebook.com/?
279US$ and 15$ shiping to Canada.
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
sherrymac
sherrymac began at the beginning.

Device: something that will work in Canada!
I'm in Quebec too and trying to get an e-reader. Frustrating to try out anything when there doesn't seem to be any availability here for any brand! Let me know when and if you find something. Just found out the the Nook won't work here either!
sherrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Best Buy in Canada is selling Sony Reader books, and I think astrack also.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymac View Post
Just found out the the Nook won't work here either!
Why will it not work? You will not be able to buy books at the B&N bookstore, but it supports ePub, so you can buy your books at any other store which supports ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
gregg_ware@telus
gregg_ware@telus began at the beginning.

Which one should I buy

Here is the response I received from Barnes & Noble:
On Nov 9, 2009, Retail Service <customerservice@bn.com> wrote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for inquiring about nook, the world's most advanced eReader!

Currently, nook is not available for sale outside of the United States.
In order to download ebook you have to have a U.S. ip address.
=======================================
I am off to find a different ebook reader that can download from the internet anywhere and accept my Canadian Credit card for the book purchases.
gregg_ware@telus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
You can get the Sony 505 at Staples and Future Shop for 299.99CDN.

A lot of places sell readers now. Best Buy, Future Shop, London Drugs, Staples, NCIX and sonystyle. Even Sears sells the Sony 300 (the picture shows 505 but is wrong).
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
jonc3b
jonc3b began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
i live in canada. a year ago, i purchased bebook from the netherlands, shipped to canada. i am very very pleased with it. ezreader from usa is also an option.
jonc3b is offline   Reply With Quote