Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Buzzy
Buzzy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help with plugin dev.

Hi,

I need some help with plugin development. Firstly, I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Python but I can't get any debugging output to appear using print, write or anything else, based on the suggestions in the plugin dev. pages on the calibre site. Not a character. I've stuck statements all over the code in places that are definitely being hit. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to redirect output somewhere specific. I'm running from the console using calibre-debug.

Secondly, I want to have my plugin generate its own cover and use it with the book it creates. I have that working but I can't find any way to prevent the default background texture from being drawn (which, I agree with comments elsewhere, isn't particularly nice). I've gone as far as to d/l the source and find where it's added but nothing I do anywhere stops it appearing. I've overridden the relevant functions, thus:

def calibre_cover(title, author_string, series_string=None, output_format='jpg', title_size=46, author_size=36, logo_path=None):
title = normalize(title)
author_string = normalize(author_string)
series_string = normalize(series_string)
# from calibre.utils.magick.draw import create_cover_page, TextLine
from calibre.utils.magick.draw import TextLine
lines = [TextLine(title, title_size), TextLine(author_string, author_size)]
if series_string:
lines.append(TextLine(series_string, author_size))
if logo_path is None:
logo_path = I('library.png')
return self.create_cover_page(lines, logo_path, output_format='jpg', texture_opacity=0.3, texture_data=I('add_book.png', data=False))

def create_cover_page(top_lines, logo_path, width=590, height=750, bgcolor='#ffffff', output_format='jpg', texture_data=None, texture_opacity=1.0):
'''
Create the standard calibre cover page and return it as a byte string in
the specified output_format.
'''
canvas = create_canvas(width, height, bgcolor)
if texture_data and hasattr(canvas, 'texture'):
texture = Image()
texture.load(texture_data)
texture.set_opacity(texture_opacity)
canvas.texture(texture)

bottom = 10
for line in top_lines:
twand = create_text_wand(line.font_size, font_path=line.font_path)
bottom = draw_centered_text(canvas, twand, line.text, bottom)
bottom += line.bottom_margin
bottom -= top_lines[-1].bottom_margin

foot_font = tweaks['generate_cover_foot_font']
if not foot_font:
foot_font = P('fonts/liberation/LiberationMono-Regular.ttf')
vanity = create_text_arc(__appname__ + ' ' + __version__, 24,
font=foot_font, bgcolor='#00000000')
lwidth, lheight = vanity.size
left = int(max(0, (width - lwidth)/2.))
top = height - lheight - 10
canvas.compose(vanity, left, top)

available = (width, int(top - bottom)-20)
if available[1] > 40:
logo = Image()
logo.open(logo_path)
lwidth, lheight = logo.size
scaled, lwidth, lheight = fit_image(lwidth, lheight, *available)
if scaled:
logo.size = (lwidth, lheight)
left = int(max(0, (width - lwidth)/2.))
top = bottom+10
extra = int((available[1] - lheight)/2.0)
if extra > 0:
top += extra
canvas.compose(logo, left, top)

return canvas.export(output_format)

I tried just using calibre_cover first and changing the values in the call to create_cover_page. Then I tried replacing create_cover_page. The thing just fails to use my cover at all and generates the default version,. I'm probably doing something silly but what? I've tried everything I can think of in the recipe and in main.py, including setting texture_data to none, changing opacity, disabling function calls, attempting to use a different texture as above, etc. Nothing works.

My plugin works well otherwise so it is called, it runs, it outputs, it's updated between runs, it lives and breathes and I disabled the related imports. It's more likely to be my lack of knowledge re: python and calibre, than something procedural. If we can fix point 1 that will undoubtedly help with point 2.

Thanks.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you're developing a conversion plugin its output will be available in the conversion log. Click the rotating spinner in the bottom right to get the conversion log.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Buzzy
Buzzy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks. Ain't it always the way, after banging away for hours making no progress and making this request, the next day I was able to get it all working. I was very tired when I was first working on it and I think I missed one or two things. The plugin is here.

Cheers.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote