Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
So, this works for watching hulu, cbs and the like, as well as Amazon streaming if you are a Prime Member:
unblock-us.com

And this works for obtaining Free Amazon Apps:
http://www.abtevrythng.com/2011/03/h...utside-us.html
Although others have reported it doesn't for them. I think the issue is getting the credit card details right. Worked for me first try.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
OTOH this technique will be lost in this thread and it is an important thing for a bunch of folks, I bet.
This was my thought about Hieranymous' post actually! There appears to be a lot of interest about getting into Amazon from outside the US in order to get access to paid apps but I think it is kind of lost in this particular thread which is really about getting VPN to work. It's a great post and really merits a separate thread so that it gets the views it deserves!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #33
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Witopia continuing to work on this, they have asked me to send them screen shots of the VPN menus so they can see what they look like for themselves (not having the device available). At least they're not brushing me off by blaming the device for the connection problem. Will keep updates coming as things progress...or not...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #34
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Sorry, was just looking through the thread because I'm trying to get the stuff for OpenVPN together (downloading the sources now). If you want to make a thread about markets go ahead - I'm quite confident we'll have the real one very soon. This website was quite helpful as well and isn't pure piracy like so many others. http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/
BTW I can't connect to pptp either from my wifi (but can over 3g). Openvpn should work better.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard

Problem is I already use Witopia on my computer and don't want to pay for another especially since it's not a sure thing it will work! I have a SSL (openVPN) + PPTP/Cisco IPsec/ L2TP plan with them.
I use the SSL on the computer but also have PPTP access (all for about 50$ a year) which I can use on 2 other devices for my iTouch, Boxee and, I was hoping on my Vox... (not all at the same time of course, lol). Much cheaper than cable and working everywhere else of course but not on the Vox!
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Hmm... I don't know if you know what to do with a tun module, but if you already do know, have a look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=29
I'm not giving further instructions for now, as this thing might still kill your cat and burn your house - I'll have to test it for a few hours and see.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #37
Cdesja5
Wizard

Thanks, I'll wait...I love my cat
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard

Update:
still no success, sent my screen shots in and tried some different IP addresses as instructed. Still not connecting! Waiting for more instructions from Witopia.
Part of what they told me about Android and vpn follows...
It is very difficult to tell if it is is the unit, or the network that is blocking you. I can say that we have not seen a login attempt in the last few days on our servers so you are not making it to us to try and connect. This would point to a device or local network issues. PPTP is VERY easy to block as it is a nearly 25year old standard that is VERY rigid in the connection. L2TP allows for an alternative, but because google decided to break from the RFC and implement it's own flavor of L2TP we have limited servers for you to try and connect to. IPSEC is broken on Android for the same reason
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #39
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Hmm... , as this thing might still kill your cat and burn your house - I'll have to test it for a few hours and see.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #40
hieronymos
Groupie

If your VPN is worth rooting your Kobo, have a look here (bottom of the post):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=46

Note that it still might not work with your VPN provider, but chances are it will at least work better :-)

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #41
Cdesja5
Wizard

Thanks! Will try on the weekend. I've already rooted my Vox so will be interesting to see if this works...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #42
hieronymos
Groupie

Out of curiosity; did it work?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
Cdesja5
Wizard

Haven't tried yet...got a little distracted doing other stuff. I want to be sure I have lots of time when I try in case something doesn't work and I need to spend more time than expected (which always seems to happen when you fiddle with these things). If I'm feeling up to it tomorrow after work I'll try it then. And I will definitely let you know if it worked (or not!) Stand by! I may be PMing you!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #44
hieronymos
Groupie

Oh, I didn't have problems at all - just hoping that with the tunnel you can get through everything that might have blocked you before.

And feel free to pm :-)
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #45
damoose
damoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Touch and Vox
Rooting the device for VPN... Probably need to do the same for WPA2 Enterprise connections too. Hummm...

Last edited by damoose; 11-25-2011 at 04:38 AM.
damoose is offline   Reply With Quote