Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
That brings up a related question. Does the Cybook support TXT and HTML files that are in a Zip archive? This is widely supported by other reading software as a way to keep separate files for one book together, as well as saving space. If not supported, it would be a good feature to add. It would also be needed for epub support, so would be doubley smart.
As of firmware v0.99, no.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Quote:
Originally Posted by solodoc View Post
Hi there

Just wondering I've got a couple of chm files that mobipocket won't import.

Would decompliing them to html make them readable on the cybook?

I mean I could just save the html file to a sd card...etc.

I would like to know as that's how I'd be using my cybook if ordered one along with my pdf ebooks.
Does it read chm decompiled to html though?
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
solodoc
Connoisseur

Any takers

Quote:
Does it read chm decompiled to html though?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let's be clear on this. It is NOT a "ported" version of any other version of the MobiPocket reader. It's new software that's been written by Bookeen which reads MobiPocket files.
[Genuine question]. I'm curious as to your source on this. It seems to me to be a little unlikely that Mobipocket would have licensed the DRM to Bookeen and then not licensed any of the code for the reader. And you'd have thought that Mobipocket would be keen to work on a 'nux version of the reader that they could license to other device manufacturers. The integration with the Mobipocket desktop reader suggests that there has been a lot of collaboration. (And the fact that it's been almost impossible to get a response on the Mobipocket support forums for the last month or so may or may not have been connected with an imminent Bookeen launch). It's difficult to believe there isn't some sort of commonality.

solodoc - yes probably assuming the html is valid and all the links are OK etc.

Last edited by andym; 10-29-2007 at 06:10 PM.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
solodoc
Connoisseur

Thanks andy

I guess you mean do the links work ...well yes.

About the html file being valid.....you've lost me
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Thanks andy

I guess you mean do the links work ...well yes.

About the html file being valid.....you've lost me
If there are no mistakes or missing bits in the file. Can you read the decompiled html in a web browser for example?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
solodoc
Connoisseur

Yes Andy..thats how I'm reading it now...it works fine on the laptop with either FFox or IE....no problem....

Mobipocket won't import it though.

They are chm that I've decompiled to html...infact the html looks better than the chm in FF.

I guess you're saying it works on the Cybook....that is if html works on FF or IE

Last edited by solodoc; 10-29-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #23
solodoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes Andy..thats how I'm reading it now...it works fine on the laptop with either FFox or IE....no problem....

Mobipocket won't import it though.

They are chm that I've decompiled to html...infact the html looks better than the chm in FF.

I guess you're saying it works on the Cybook....that is if html works on FF or IE
Any answers?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #24
andym
Groupie

Quote:
Any answers?
solodoc -

(I'm assuming you are trying to read on a PC or PDA while you wait for a delivery of a Bookeen?)

In my experience Mobipocket can get cranky about some html files for no apparent reason (or at least no reason I've had time to work out). It gives messages about being unable to open and having insufficient memory.

One option might be to create a .prc file using mobicreator (free download from the mobipocket website - .prc is in effect the Mobipocket equivalent of .chm). Another option that has worked for me is to replace the 'head' (ie the 'Doctype' and the parts of the document between the 'head' tags with the header from an html file that I know will open.

Sorry, but that's as much as I can think of I'm afraid. Unfortunately it could be that the problem comes from an error in the html - it might be that IE and Firefox ignore the error while it causes Mobipocket to choke.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #25
solodoc
Connoisseur

Thanks andy

Much appreciated
Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #26
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
Just wondering if it will support pdfs better then the sony 505. I tried out the sony today and loaded a pdf file it really was not impossible to read and in Landscape was very easy to read. One problem was that when I loaded a dissertation from proquest it freaked the sony out, the dissertation was just scanned images and about 300 pages. I am looking into a unit for reading research and don't want to spend the money for an iRex.

i guess I am just waiting for a review comparing the sony 505 and cybook.
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #27
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsmith View Post
Just wondering if it will support pdfs better then the sony 505. I tried out the sony today and loaded a pdf file it really was not impossible to read and in Landscape was very easy to read. One problem was that when I loaded a dissertation from proquest it freaked the sony out, the dissertation was just scanned images and about 300 pages. I am looking into a unit for reading research and don't want to spend the money for an iRex.

i guess I am just waiting for a review comparing the sony 505 and cybook.
PDF support seems much better on the Cybook. First of all, you've got a real zoom that makes it possible to read A4 PDFs. The fonts and images looked sharper, and the background is more white than on the PRS-500/505.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
[Genuine question]. I'm curious as to your source on this. It seems to me to be a little unlikely that Mobipocket would have licensed the DRM to Bookeen and then not licensed any of the code for the reader. And you'd have thought that Mobipocket would be keen to work on a 'nux version of the reader that they could license to other device manufacturers. The integration with the Mobipocket desktop reader suggests that there has been a lot of collaboration. (And the fact that it's been almost impossible to get a response on the Mobipocket support forums for the last month or so may or may not have been connected with an imminent Bookeen launch). It's difficult to believe there isn't some sort of commonality.

solodoc - yes probably assuming the html is valid and all the links are OK etc.
I'm certain that MobiPocket provided Bookeen with source code and technical assistance, but sources "in the know" have said that the CyBook's Mobipocket Reader is not the portable Java version that was written for the iLiad, but a completely new development. As you say, the fact that it will integrate with the Desktop Reader clearly shows that the two companies must have worked closely together.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 AM   #29
solodoc
Connoisseur

Got this from bookeen
Quote:
Dear X ,

Unfortunately the Cybook does not read yet CHM neither HTML files decompiled from CHM.

CHM is among the next formats which will be supported by the Cybook in next software upgrades.

It is in fourth or fifth position in our todo list after RTF, full HTML and zipped packages.

Bets regards,

Bookeen team
Which means I may be buying one......
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Very nice. Does that mean that plucker files will be supported? Is a plucker file just a packed chm file?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote