Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Dummies Guide for Idiots on How to Change Epub Fonts

I just spent an hour trying to read threads about changing fonts for my 350 and 950. Every one of them presumed more base knowledge of programming than I have, which is nothing.

I don't know what CSS is.

I kind of know about directories on either my computer or the Sony.

I know what a font is, and saw a couple I liked, but don't know where to download them.

I use Calibre to convert ebooks to epub or mobi and change metadata.

That's it. I'm an old guy. Can someone just give me detailed step by step instructions, maybe with pictures? I'd gladly pay for a pdf with decent instructions.

JSWolfe seems to know a lot, but again he's way ahead of me so I'm still lost. If he could make believe he was exlaining to his Mom how to do this herself, rather than doing it for her.

I looked at the translated Russian Guide, but didn't understand it. I need something REALLY simple and step by step, in one place.

Last edited by advocate2; 05-29-2011 at 01:06 AM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
I can help you, but my method is to flash the firmware using PRS+. If you are willing to do that, let me know in the post below. About prs+: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/. User Manual: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/UserManual
The screen shot for the is based on the old Readers. PRS+ DOES NOT change the appearance of the PRS 950.

I have a PRS-950 also and I can say that flashing PRS+ is harmless. Also, what computer and operating system are you using?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

I am willing to give it a shot and am grateful.

I am using a Sony Vaio Z570 Laptop running Windows 7 Home premium 32bit version.

I downloaded PRSP_950_2.0.12beta_setup.exe and

PRSP_350_2.0.12beta_setup.exe .

I just flashed the memory of the 950 and see a setting called User EPub Style (css file) disabled.

Last edited by advocate2; 05-29-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok cool, some prep work first the I'll give the rest tomorrow

1. After READER is plugged in, create a 'fonts' directory in the root directory of the READER. So the directory is READER\fonts
2. Go to Windows fonts directory and pick out the font you want to use. I'm using XP and in XP the font is in C:\Windows\Fonts. (same for Windows 7? Maybe other members can comment). Get a detailed view of the fonts.
3. The fonts have to be TrueType or OpenType and the family has to have 4 sets of them (regular, italic, bold, bold italic).
4. Suppose you want Georgia. Then copy the files georgia.TTF, georgiab.TTF, georgiaz.TTF, georgiai.TTF to READER\fonts

You can copy different families of fonts to experiment.

Hope this is doable. More later.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 05-29-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

OK. I am still with you. Both the 950 and 350 are flashed. "font" folder created and the four Georgia fonts and four Segoe UI fonts copied to the folder.

I feel like I am getting closer.

One caveat. On Windows 7 when I went to the font folder, things went to a Control Panel type window and I could not see the Reader. After a couple of minutes I opened the Reader in a separate window that I put on one-half of the screen and the font folder on the other half of the screen and I was able to copy the font files to the Reader.

It's now been hours and hours trying to figure this out. It just shouldn't be this hard.

Last edited by advocate2; 05-29-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

I don't have Windows 7 so I'm not sure what the Control Panel type window is for fonts. Go to Windows Explorer view.
Anyways, you should have in the READER the following files:
READER\fonts\georgia.ttf
READER\fonts\georgiab.ttf
READER\fonts\georgiai.ttf
READER\fonts\georgiaz.ttf

CSS instructions to come.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

I have the fonts in the folder. I might have gotton things rights by accident. Is it true that once you open a book in one font, you can't change the font?

I made a file called Georgia.css in the epub folder.

@font-face {
font-family: "Georgia";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgia.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiab.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiai.ttf);
}

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiaz.ttf);
}

body {
}

is this right????
Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Looks good so far. If you want to compare, my code is below. I've added code for line spacing. To use it, delete /* */.

CSS Instruction:

Before you change font, compare the Sony Reader default font and the Georgia font at large size to make sure you can tell the difference. the y's are very easy to distinguish between the two.

Copy this using Notepad into a textfile named userstyle.georgia.css. (really the name doesn't matter)

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgia.ttf);
}

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiab.tff);
}

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiai.tff);
}

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiaz.tff);
}

body {
font-family: "Georgia", serif;
/* line-height: 150% */

}

.calibre {
font-family: "Georgia", serif;
/* line-height: 150% */
}

Copy userstyle.georgia.css to READER\database\system\PRSPLUS\epub

You may have to make new directories (folders) (except for READER, which is the root directory). Make sure the name is right and properly capitalized.

You should have the file
READER\database\system\PRSPLUS\epub\userstyle.geor gia.css

Unplug the READER from computer. Go to PRS+ settings->Book Viewer Settings->User Epub Style and select userstyle.css.georgia.

Go back and check out the change with a epub. Sometimes the font change doesn't happen and requires the reader to be turned off and on again, so to be on the safe side, do that.

Also the font change doesn't happen with every ebook. For example, it doesn't work with the Suze Orman or Harlan Corben samples in the Reader, or any of the free Google ebooks. I think it's because they have weird css coding. But it works with your own generated epubs, epubs that I've bought (notable ones are from Random House) and epubs from Gutenberg Project. I would test with an epub from Gutenberg project.

I've tested this and it works. Just be sure to reboot. The font change doesn't happen right away.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 05-29-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I have the fonts in the folder. I might have gotton things rights by accident. Is it true that once you open a book in one font, you can't change the font?

is this right????
No, I was able to disable the userstyle css and I also had other css files for different font to choose. The change doesn't happen right after the selection. I often had to reboot the reader (turn off and on).
Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Whenever you open a book, the reader creates a file named "style.css" in the epub subdirectory. When you change the font and then open the same book you had, it still uses the old style.css file. You have to force it to create a new style.css file, which will then change your font, by changing your css file to the font you want, open any other book, then re-open the book you were reading and the font will be changed.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Is it true that once you open a book in one font, you can't change the font?
No it's not true. However, if you already have an epub open and you use PRSPlus to choose a different one of your custom .css files, then you will need to open a second epub, close it again, then go back to the first epub before it will display the new font.

Edit: Too slow!!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

Wow!!!! It Worked!!!!

Much gratitude. What a difference.

I was very intimidated with this process, but with the help and guidance you provided I see that it is not that difficult to do.

Last edited by advocate2; 05-30-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have the fonts in the folder. I might have gotten things rights by accident.
The CSS looks fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

I see there is a version of PRS+ for the 950 and 600, but I dont see one for the 900 which my daughter owns. Will one of the other versions work for the 900?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Looking in the PRS+ site it seems the answer is no.

Quote:
I see there is a version of PRS+ for the 950 and 600, but I dont see one for the 900 which my daughter owns. Will one of the other versions work for the 900?
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote