Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Cino
Cino began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Cybook gen3 problem with vista

Hallo everyone,

I got a very frustrating problem with my cybook.

In the device manager of vista system, it is detected as an unknown device. However, I cannot find it from windows explorer. Then someone suggested me to assign it a volume label in computer manager, but where I can only see the system disk, not the device.

I went through relative threads here, but cannot find one practical for me.

Do you have any ideas?

Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try using a different USB port on your computer. Not all ports are the same; often, some are connected directly to the USB controller, and do work, while others go via an internal hub, and don't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Cino

Thank you for the kind remind. I read some threads here so I tried all the 6 ports (no hub) of my computer. They produce the same results-----unknown device.

Just now I found another new problem-----when I read books, I cannot turn the pages. It just freezes. Reset, no better.

This little machine really has great personality.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
sponder
sponder began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Are you able to load books on it? I asked because I had a similar problem that I posted last night. I may have posted it wrong because so far nobody has responded. I am using XP and I am not all that familar with Vista. In Vista can you go to the start button and click on My Computer?. In XP it shows the device as Cybook. When I had my problem it was showing as a drive letters K: and L:. When I clicked on K: I got a corrupted file or directory message. I ran chkdsk and now it is working. As to the freezing problem, I am experiencing the same difficulty. Check your firmware build by going to Advanced and then to About. I am using build 834. This maybe a problem pecuilar to this build. The only solution I have found is to frequently bookmark my place. When I have to reset I go to my last bookmark and flip pages until I find my place. Annoying but workable.
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My guess sould be a defective sd card.
But if windows won't mount it, i really don't know what to do.
Uuu, try with a linux live cd maybe.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Cino

Hallo sponder, in fact my problem started when I was copying a pdf file to Cybook, both computer and Cybook suddently froze. Then I forced them to shut down. When restarted, the computer could never recognize my little friend again.

The copied pdf file could be found on Cybook, but cannot be read because of error. Other books show normally.

As for the freezing problem I mentioned in Floor #3, it has been solved. Reset did not help in page flipping, however, after reset I could turn off the machine. Then restarted, everything seems fine again, except for communication with computer. I hope I could have the chance to run chkdsk on such an invisible device. Still thank you for sharing your experience.

By the way I don't use a SD card.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Reformat the drive and restore the content from your backup.

It sound like you have corrupted the files system in a way that Windows does not recognize it as a file system.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponder View Post
As to the freezing problem, I am experiencing the same difficulty. Check your firmware build by going to Advanced and then to About. I am using build 834. This maybe a problem pecuilar to this build.
I have Vista Home Premium (32bit) and newest model with build 834 firmware. AFAIK build 834 is not known for any new/special bugs...

By following these simple rules I've avoided freezes and such (for all builds):

- just use mobipocket files (you can easily convert PDF, HTML, TXT and DOC to PRC by drag&drop to Mobipocket Reader apps library).

- always manually turn off the reader (displaying a page uses nearly to nothing)

- use no pre-installed, but one of the freely available fonts (lots of recommendations in the forum - I use Goudita Sans SF)

BTW: My CyBook is shown as CyBook in Explorer, but otherwise the unit and the SD card are both just drives. For safe removal of USB drives this tool is useful: USB Disk Ejector

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
sponder

[QUOTE=gerraldo;445439]I have Vista Home Premium (32bit) and newest model with build 834 firmware. AFAIK build 834 is not known for any new/special bugs...

By following these simple rules I've avoided freezes and such (for all builds):

- just use mobipocket files (you can easily convert PDF, HTML, TXT and DOC to PRC by drag&drop to Mobipocket Reader apps library).

- always manually turn off the reader

I am only using mobipocket books, since I can load them on the Cybook and my Palm Lifedrive (great for reading in the dark) and If I synch the Palm after the Cybook the bookmarks are copied to the Palm. I always turn off manually. Strangely this afternoon I read for two hours without a freeze, maybe the Ghost in the Machine has been exorcised.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponder View Post
Strangely this afternoon I read for two hours without a freeze, maybe the Ghost in the Machine has been exorcised.
Fingers crossed...

BTW: Don't forget the thing about the pre-installed fonts - some have accused Verdana to cause freezes too. And despite the fact you can insert a 2GB SD (and have 512MB of internal memory) it's better to stick to just a few dozen of books on the reader itself - boot-up is much faster and who needs hundreds of books on the device anyway?!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
sponder

Verdana is what I have reading in. I try a different font. Thanks
Old 05-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Cino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Reformat the drive and restore the content from your backup.

It sound like you have corrupted the files system in a way that Windows does not recognize it as a file system.
I think corrupted file system sounds reasonable. Now I wonder how I could reformat the drive when it is invisible in windows explorer.

I'm a newbie and have owned the gadget for less than a week. The sad thing is that the problem occurred before I did a backup. Really feel paralysed.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cino View Post
I think corrupted file system sounds reasonable. Now I wonder how I could reformat the drive when it is invisible in windows explorer.

I'm a newbie and have owned the gadget for less than a week. The sad thing is that the problem occurred before I did a backup. Really feel paralysed.
You can always download or ask Bookeen for the firmware update that reformats the drive.

I thought you went to "My Computer" in Windows to format drives but I am not using Windows so I might be wrong.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #14
Cino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You can always download or ask Bookeen for the firmware update that reformats the drive.

I thought you went to "My Computer" in Windows to format drives but I am not using Windows so I might be wrong.
Useful hint, I will try.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cino View Post

In this thread someone has a similar problem: HERE

BTW: For safe removal of USB drives (aka the reader itself) under Windows this tool is very useful - USB Disk Ejector