Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad air 1st impressions (Mobileread user's experience)

So folks ... What do you guys think about the new iPad air? I know some of you already bought the air yesterday. I will drop my 2 cents

I was going to wait for the mini but I could not, lol ... I use the tablet mainly for PDFs and really love mini's light weight; I can hold it with one hand. But I'm positively surprised with the iPad air.

Few things that surprised me most

-iPad air not only light but considerable smaller
-Better ergonomics, in my opinion. Round edges

The iPad air is still 10 inches but when I compared to my old Mini it does not look so big anymore.

I'm know undecided and not so sure if I will wait and get the new Mini.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-02-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixing a typo
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I love it! It is a lot smaller than I thought. It is still heavy to hold for reading for extended periods of time, but sits comfortably in my size 3 coylcushion. I'll be spending more time reading on the web now, but still use my ereader for novels. The glare from the glass bothers me a little when using Marvin to read. Not the app's fault, but just something that I notice that doesn't happen with my Glo. And I can now browse MR from my comfy chair.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I was dead set on getting the Retina mini and keeping my iPad 3, but now I am strongly considering getting the Air and replacing the iPad 3. Looking forward to hearing other reactions from people who have gotten their hands on it. My favorite grip/stand case - Native Union Gripster - won't be out for the Air until December, though.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does take a while to charge, just noticed it.

While it runs and runs using little or no battery (was at 30% this morning) it also requires lot time to be fully charge. big difference when compared to my 1st gen Mini.

My iPad air took more than one hour to jump only 20% in charge. I am guessin that for a full charge, it may need around four hours, assuming it's at 30% or lower.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It does take a while to charge, just noticed it.

While it runs and runs using little or no battery (was at 30% this morning) it also requires lot time to be fully charge. big difference when compared to my 1st gen Mini.

My iPad air took more than one hour to jump only 20% in charge. I am guessin that for a full charge, it may need around four hours, assuming it's at 30% or lower.
This might explain why...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/15/...arger-battery/
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The Air actually charges quite a bit faster than the iPad 3/4.

iPad Mini: 16.3 Wh
iPad Mini 2: 25.8 Wh

iPad 2: 25 Wh
iPad 3: 43 Wh
iPad 4: 43 Wh
iPad Air: 32 Wh

Bigger battery, longer time to charge assuming you're using the same charger.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The Air actually charges quite a bit faster than the iPad 3/4.

iPad Mini: 16.3 Wh
iPad Mini 2: 25.8 Wh

iPad 2: 25 Wh
iPad 3: 43 Wh
iPad 4: 43 Wh
iPad Air: 32 Wh

Bigger battery, longer time to charge assuming you're using the same charger.
Did you charge yours already? That is exactly what I am saying that mine it is not doing it. The Air is slower charging than the iPad 3/4.

My wife's iPad takes less time to charge than my new iPad air. And the new iPad Air uses a less powerful battery thanks to the newer CPU that is more efficient (that's what I've read, at least)

So indeed, it takes a lot more to charge.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I charge mine overnight so it's never an issue. I love mine, picked it up today.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolReader View Post
I am heading out right now to buy the iPad Air.. I can't resist.. my wife has the (OLD) iPad Mini which is sweet.. but for reading newspapers, magazines and Flipboard etc.. it should be the ticket.. but for books, I will probably stick with my KPW2.. I will report back on the iPad Air... Oh, this is my first post on this forum.. I was recommended to try it out.. I like ..
Welcome aboard! :-)

This community is fantastic. You will love it and learn a few things as well.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can't get over how fast and smooth it is. And light, I love mine already
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will report back on the iPad Air... Oh, this is my first post on this forum.. I was recommended to try it out.. I like ..
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing how you like the iPad Air.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
For reading books, I find it essential for the screen to be bigger. Because you can then make the font in the book bigger, therefore easier on the eyes. If you make it bigger on an iPad mini, you then need to flip pages more frequently, which can be annoying.

On the other hand, if you plan to carry the iPad around a lot, iPad mini may be the better option.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I got the iPad Air.. Love it.. awesome screen, apps etc.. kinda big though compared to my wifes Mini.. I may return and wait for the New Mini in mid November. just thinking about it..
Thinking the same but still not so sure.

The Mini is a good compromise. Awesome portability, light enough and still and iPad (tons of apps)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
still an iPad (tons of apps)

I would definitely count the buggy and ugly iOS 7 as a huge minus of the iPads at this point. Android 4.3 (likely also 4.4) is by leaps and bounds a better operating system than iOS 7. But the Android hardware often isn't quite as impressive as Apple's hardware, and I definitely prefer the 3:4 aspect ratio over 10:16.

iPads = superb hardware and superb 3d-party apps marred by execrable Apple software, especially iOS 7.

(Look at an example of the ordeal I'm currently going through with iOS since having upgraded to iOS 7.0.3.)

Last edited by Faterson; 11-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
If you make it bigger on an iPad mini, you then need to flip pages more frequently, which can be annoying.
Not if your reader app has autoscroll. This is my most awaited feature coming to Marvin. Hopefully it comes before we get cold weather in Florida. I hate having to take my hand out from under the blanket to turn pages. 😝