Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
fading
fading began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC issues

Hi,

I am trying to produce my first ever PRC file - so that I can get it working on the Kindle.

What I have is a PDF file.

It has been suggested I separate the pages of this PDF file and convert them to JPGs which I have done.

So, I've got the mobipocket software and uploaded all of the JPGs.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to create a table of contents.

All of the help sections I've seen are talking about html files, but I don't have the knowledge to do this, and I figure there must be another way of doing this. I just want to manually program the TOC to go to the various chapters in my book.

Can this be done?

Ideally I just need a sample/template TOC that I can work from.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sam
fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you cannot have a TOC if your book consists purely of JPEG files. A hyperlink in a TOC needs to jump to a location in an HTML file.

Sorry!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unless the PDF itself is really a collection of images, it would be better to extract the text (preferably to HTML) and then work from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fading View Post
Hi,

I am trying to produce my first ever PRC file - so that I can get it working on the Kindle.

What I have is a PDF file.

It has been suggested I separate the pages of this PDF file and convert them to JPGs which I have done.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mobi Creator generally does a quite reasonable job of conversion on PDFs. Have you tried simply letting Mobi convert it?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
fading

Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies here.

Harry - I have tried get Mobi to convert my PDF, but the issue is that all of the formatting goes out of the window, the fonts are lost, and everything (including the pictures in the book) seems to get aligned to the left.

I think it was suggested that I use JPGs as nothing can possibly get changed or shifted around.

However - saying that, the issue I've had with JPGs is that the text becomes very grainy once I've created the ebook from the JPGs, and by zooming idn even by one quota the text becomes almost illegible!

I guess I can live without having a table of contents, but is there going to be a way of me importing JPGs (or other image formats) into the Mobi creator without incurring a massive loss in quality.

I have attached an example of how it looks - I have included just a front cover (fine) and one sample page from the book (very grainy).

Thanks,

Sam
Attached Files
File Type: prc AB Guitar.prc (138.0 KB, 320 views)
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

JPEG is a very poor choice of format for images that contain text or images. JPEG achieves its small file size by "throwing away" information from the image, and "blurring out" the details. This works great for "real world" photographs (which is why digital cameras use JPEG images), but for text it's horrible - lines blur and lose definition - it's like looking at your text through a pair of out-of-focus glasses.

Use a file format like TIFF of GIF, not JPEG. It doesn't do this.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
PNG would be a better choice... if mobipocket supported PNG.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest using PDFRead, it does the PDF to JPG conversion for you and has options like making each PDF page into several images. I don't think it adds a TOC, although in principle it could if there was one in the PDF.

There isn't unfortunately a really satisfactory PDF to MOBI (or any reflowable ebook format) utility at present. You could try calibre 0.6 beta, because at least if this does not center the images you can file a bug report and it will get fixed (MOBI does not center images by default). Calibre uses a different PDF to HTML utility under the hood than MobiPocket Creator does, so the result may be different (although in general not better).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've personally found the best PDF converter to be BD.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
fading

Due to the nature of the book I'm working on, it's too complex to use the original PDF really, or it would involved a lot of manual work to put everything back into the right places.

I'm actually thinking about not bothering with a TOC, it's not the end of the world.

The issue I'm having now is getting the images that I'm using as the pages of the book to look good. We've established that JPGs are no good. I've just tried GIFs and they're considerably better, but still very grainy when it comes to zooming in on small-ish text.

I haven't tried PNGs yet, but will do so now. Does anyone know an optimal resolution to save PNG files at so that they will look as best as they can in Mobi?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I haven't tried PNGs yet, but will do so now. Does anyone know an optimal resolution to save PNG files at so that they will look as best as they can in Mobi?
As I said, the mobipocket format does not support PNG. Maybe the creator can convert PNG to GIF or JPG, but you won't get anything new.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Mobi Creator accepts PNG files as input but, as you say, all it does is convert them to JPEG, so you're no better off.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
fading

True

This is true - it does only accept PNGs as inputs and converts them to JPG, but that is also true for GIFs. It converts GIFs to JPGs as well, and yet somehow the result is noticeably better than starting off with JPGs.

Odd....

I've been using this PDFRead software to put the PDF in, which is a better solution, but I'm still getting grainy text - anyone have any useful info about how to optimize the settings in your favour using PDFRead?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
This is true - it does only accept PNGs as inputs and converts them to JPG, but that is also true for GIFs. It converts GIFs to JPGs as well, and yet somehow the result is noticeably better than starting off with JPGs.
MobiPerl, at least, includes GIF files without conversion.