Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
ozone123
ozone123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
fed up with amazon.com

I've recently purchased a kindle 2 on dec 15. Since then, I've had nothing but problems with ordering online with the device. Once, I placed an order but backed out before I made the purchase and downloaded the sample file as I meant to in the first place. I received an email about that telling me that my order was canceled. Well that's strange, because I backed out before I made the actual purchase, so why do they post a transaction to my credit card and give me the option to back out and credit my card? As far as I'm concerned, if I don't back out, _then_ post the transaction..............dummies!!

Last night I ordered a book, and received it. Today, I open the kindle 2 to read it and it wasn't there. An email was sent to me thanking me for my order, blah, blah, blah. I contacted amazon immediately on this with the order # etc., providing the details of the situation. I know my credit card statement will be a mess that only an accountant will be able to decipher, and I'm seriously considering returing the device and getting a different eBook reader, perhaps from a reputable company that doesn't have these ordering problems. I explained to amazon that when I purchase a book from a brick and mortar store, the sales clerk doesn't follow me and rip the book from my hands after I've payed for it. I contacted my credit card company on this, and they have 2 options for me to pursue, put the matter into dispute once I receive my statement, or fight with amazon. I'm already fighting with them, and I will put the matter into dispute once I receive my statement. I don't think I'd buy a pair of socks from them!!

I have other books that I've purchased from them, and had no problems, so I can't figure out the reason of them pulling books out of my kindle 2 dutifully payed for!
ozone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Did you go online to "Manage Your Kindle" and have the book resent to your Kindle? Occasionally, I will purchase a Kindle book and it doesn't show up on my Kindle. If I go and have it resent it usually shows up within a minute.

Do you have Whispernet turned on? If it's not on the book can't be downloaded.

Do you have decent coverage. Depending on your location Whispernet may not be relaible enough to download books. In that case, you can download the book to your computer and use the USB cable to transfer the book to your Kindle.

BTW, welcome to Mobileread!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
As any electronic device, the Kindle takes time to learn.

In addition, it has its quirks. For example, sometimes books appear to disappear , when in fact they for some reason go back in the queue. Once, I start the wireless connection, the Kindle syncs with the server and everything returns to normal.

I've had a Sony e-reader and I've read the reports about Nook. So far, my opinion is that Amazon's Kindle is the smoothest experience. I love it.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is weird... I have not had a single problem with Amazon or the Kindle... and I have had it since the K2 was released.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
ozone123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Did you go online to "Manage Your Kindle" and have the book resent to your Kindle? Occasionally, I will purchase a Kindle book and it doesn't show up on my Kindle. If I go and have it resent it usually shows up within a minute.

Do you have Whispernet turned on? If it's not on the book can't be downloaded.

Do you have decent coverage. Depending on your location Whispernet may not be relaible enough to download books. In that case, you can download the book to your computer and use the USB cable to transfer the book to your Kindle.

BTW, welcome to Mobileread!
As I mentioned, the book was on my kindle and I downloaded through the kindle and not my PC, so yes, Whispernet had to be turned on for me to receive it a few seconds later, but it disappeared the next day when I turned on my kindle. And I didn't delete it.

I've no problems with Whispernet, I always get full bars. This is an issue with amazon.com, not with any functioning of the kindle 2. I was billed for the purchase as I received a confirmation email from them, and subsequently, it disappeared the next day. I won't download it again, because I'll be billed twice for the same book, and I won't take the chance trying to do that, so other than getting my ebooks elsewhere, amazon won't do anything about it. It's the old bait 'n switch trick, and it seemed to have worked.
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
ozone123

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
As any electronic device, the Kindle takes time to learn.

In addition, it has its quirks. For example, sometimes books appear to disappear , when in fact they for some reason go back in the queue. Once, I start the wireless connection, the Kindle syncs with the server and everything returns to normal.

I've had a Sony e-reader and I've read the reports about Nook. So far, my opinion is that Amazon's Kindle is the smoothest experience. I love it.
Takes time to learn? It's a simple download that took place and it disappears the next day? I've tried several times to turn on/off the kindle, but the book never reappears. I've already downloaded a couple of books previously at amazon.com, and the books are still in the kindle. It's only this particualr book that I was billed for that is not on the device.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
ozone123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
That is weird... I have not had a single problem with Amazon or the Kindle... and I have had it since the K2 was released.
lucky you
Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
If you purchased it and for *some* reason it's no longer on your Kindle it *is* in your archive and can be downloaded again for free. No need to repurchase the book. Last entry on the Home page of your Kindle is "Achived Items". You should find it there.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone123 View Post
I won't download it again, because I'll be billed twice for the same book, and I won't take the chance trying to do that, so other than getting my ebooks elsewhere, amazon won't do anything about it. It's the old bait 'n switch trick, and it seemed to have worked.
"Bait and switch"? You seem to be getting upset over such a little thing here.

Ok... have you actually called Amazon and asked them if you have been charged or not or credited? It sounds to me like you "bought" the book and then it asked you if you were sure and you said no... and it took a few hours for the purchase to be canceled which would remove the book.

Amazon has the best customer service when it comes to mistaken purchases over any other ebook stores. I have been reading dozens of horror stories over issues people have with B&N not refunding money for ebooks people can't even read.

AS good as any company is... mistakes happen. It is how they deal with those mistakes that separates them from each other.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-26-2009 at 12:15 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
If you purchased it and for *some* reason it's no longer on your Kindle it *is* in your archive and can be downloaded again for free. No need to repurchase the book. Last entry on the Home page of your Kindle is "Achived Items". You should find it there.
Or... it could be this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone123 View Post
As I mentioned, the book was on my kindle and I downloaded through the kindle and not my PC, so yes, Whispernet had to be turned on for me to receive it a few seconds later, but it disappeared the next day when I turned on my kindle. And I didn't delete it.

I won't download it again, because I'll be billed twice for the same book, and I won't take the chance trying to do that, so other than getting my ebooks elsewhere, amazon won't do anything about it. It's the old bait 'n switch trick, and it seemed to have worked.
Is it on your Amazon account "manage your Kindle" page? Under "Manage your orders"? Even if you downloaded it from your Kindle thru whispernet, it would appear there on your download history

If so......there is no charge for re-downloading.

Or are you saying it disappeared from both your Kindle and your Amazon account page?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yeah, you are totally correct. Amazon is notoriously awful company to work with, the customer service sucks, they have not gone out of their way to work with anyone on this board. in fact folks come in here on a right regular basis ranting about how awful they are!

also the Kindle is just an awful product! hard to understand, not at ALL user friendly! you'd be better off returning that junky piece of plastic!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
ozone123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I won't take a chance on downloading anything from Amazon until I receive my credit card statement. I can't imagine what mess it will be in. I won't take a chance until I receive an email from someone who has some authority there as well. So far, all I'm receiving from some idiot there, is the refunding on my last transaction. I never asked for a refund, I never backed out of the online purchase through the kindle, yet they gave me a refund and deleted the book from the device. I only got a confirmation of purchase, NEVER a confirmation of refund until I made an enquiry on why the book was deleted. I've been looking at other devices and trying to get people's opinions on other forums on the ordering process, and if there are any problems. I can only forsee continuing problems with amazon, and their terrible customer service who don't read emails but are creative in their replies!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You came here and posted about the problem you are having with a purchased download you made for your Kindle. Members have provided suggestions how how to get your book back. You do not want to follow that advice. Right now you just seem to want to vent, which is fine but keep in mind whatever problem you are having it rare. If you are willing to work with Amazon it will be cleared up. The majority of us have had good or great customer service for our Kindles.

Think positively.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
ozone123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
"Bait and switch"? You seem to be getting upset over such a little thing here.

Ok... have you actually called Amazon and asked them if you have been charged or not or credited? It sounds to me like you "bought" the book and then it asked you if you were sure and you said no... and it took a few hours for the purchase to be canceled which would remove the book.

Amazon has the best customer service when it comes to mistaken purchases over any other ebook stores. I have been reading dozens of horror stories over issues people have with B&N not refunding money for ebooks people can't even read.

AS good as any company is... mistakes happen. It is how they deal with those mistakes that separates them from each other.

BOb
Charges to my credit card I don't find to be a little thing, so yeah, I call it bait 'n switch for reasons I've already given.

On the cancelations and refunds there were two different orders. First one I ordered and backed out, and downloaded the sample instead. I received an email that confirmed my cancelation and that the transaction would be reversed on my credit card.......no biggie, but why put a back out feature on the kindle when you are already charged and then refunded...makes a mess of your statement. That was the first one.

The one that concerns me is the second one. I ordered a book through the kindle, _not_ backing out and received it, along with an email of confirmation I received on my PC. The next day, I turned on the kindle, and the book was no longer there. There were no emails from amazon confirming the cancelation/refund, so I knew that I was charged for something they deleted. [didn't they receive a lot of flack on other deletions recently?]. In any case, I went online with my order number and asked them why my book was deleted. After 4-5 emails, all they could say was that a refund was due to me for that order. Ummm, that wasn't the question, why was it deleted and why did you only tell me of a refund when I made the inquiry, but never before. So, as it stands, I must wait for my credit card statement because obviously, their software seems a little buggy, and I won't return to the online store until I can confirm all charges. I have no faith in their operation.

Yes, mistakes can be made, but the book still remains on my account page, so WTF, I ain't taking chances!

Other books I've purchased with them previously went without a hitch, on;y now I seem to have problems.