Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Created A Document with Adobe Acrobat, DRMed?

Basically I just scanned a few documents and I combined it with Adobe Acrobat. When I go to Secure >> Manage Securities, it shows as No Security. However when I drag the PDF into calibre and I try to convert to LRF, it tells me its DRM protected. =/

A second question, is there anyway to remove the grey color background from a scanned document? It's a waste of ink and it shows up in my reader. Do I have to do that in photoshop or something?

Last edited by ooo; 04-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo View Post
Basically I just scanned a few documents and I combined it with Adobe Acrobat. When I go to Secure >> Manage Securities, it shows as No Security. However when I drag the PDF into calibre and I try to convert to LRF, it tells me its DRM protected. =/
No clue what's going on there. Sounds like that shouldn't be happening. But I wouldn't use calibre to convert a scanned PDF--I think its conversion is mainly for text-layered PDFs. What are your goals with the conversion? Your Sony PRS-700 should read PDFs as is. If you want to process it to make it easier to read, try one (or more) of these instead:
PDFLRF
Rasterfarian
PDFread
SoPDF
PaperCrop

Quote:
A second question, is there anyway to remove the grey color background from a scanned document? It's a waste of ink and it shows up in my reader. Do I have to do that in photoshop or something?
Acrobat has an "Optimize Scanned PDF" option which should remove most of that. Or you could try calling "Unpaper" through PDFread.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
ooo
Enthusiast

I think I was just hoping the reflow would be better after I converted the PDF to LRF. It seems that all my PDFs created with Adobe Acrobat are some how DRM protected although it doesn't say it has any securities on it. Strange.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Neither calibre, nor your Sony's internal PDF viewer, nor anything else can "reflow" an image-based PDF, which is typically what you get after scanning. Converting to LRF won't change anything either.

Acrobat and other software could "OCR" the scans to convert them from images to text, and then you could convert it it to RTF or HTML, etc., and put that into Calibre. Whether it'll work out well depends on a lot of factors, including the quality of the source, whether it's plain text, or has a lot of (mathematical or other) symbols, etc., and the quality of the OCR routine.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
ooo
Enthusiast

I did the OCR conversion and then I tried copying and pasting the text. It seemed to go a good job. Any clues as to why Adobe DRM protects the documents it generates, even though it clearly states "no security"? I'll attach a sample later tonight when I get home.
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Converting your scans to PDF was a really bad idea. The best thing you can do is delete the PDFs and start over and use a good OCR to get the scans to text and then create a proper reflowing document. Starting from PDF is going to give you no end of errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Converting your scans to PDF was a really bad idea. The best thing you can do is delete the PDFs and start over and use a good OCR to get the scans to text and then create a proper reflowing document. Starting from PDF is going to give you no end of errors.
A lot of scanners/scanning software return PDF as their native format. If you're going to OCR it, what's wrong with starting in PDF? How would anything else be any better?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
PDF probably has the images encoded in some low-quality format. The quality is good enough for a human reading it, but not for an OCR program, which may need other settings (maybe a two-level TIFF instead of a true-colour JPG, for instance). Other that that, yes, a scanned PDF is nothing more than a set of images, and you should be able to OCR them just as well.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard

I don't understand the force of that "probably". It'll have whatever resolution you tell it to have when you scan it. Dealing with a PDF is easier than dealing with separate image files for every page. If it's a decent resolution, it depends more on the sophistication of the OCR software than the input format, I find.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
ooo
Enthusiast

Sorry for the absence, been awfully busy with work lately. Anyways, I've uploaded a sample page of the OCR / scan I did. Now, it wasn't really a scan. I had a DSLR mounted onto a tripod and I basically flipped the pages and took a picture of each page. I found it a lot faster than using my scanner. I got 300 pages done in 20 minutes. If I had more megapixels I could of captured both pages at once. I also included a basically text file I created and sent to Adobe PDF. Both files are DRM protected, any clues as to why? I tried to use calibre to convert to lrt or epub and it would not let me. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample_page.pdf (435.3 KB, 522 views)
File Type: pdf test.pdf (10.0 KB, 454 views)
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I don't understand the force of that "probably".
In my experience, tools that automatically create PDFs, tend to do all kind of nasty things to the images, mainly regarding resolution and compression. Of course, it will depend on the particular tool.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote