Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever manually converted from pBook to eBook?
Yes, I have. 42 42.42%
No, I haven't, but I might. 39 39.39%
No, I would never! 18 18.18%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Converted pBook to eBook?

Have you ever (or would you) convert a pBook to an eBook? I converted my first one this weekend -- Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food -- and it was very fun and liberating for me... but my husband was sad and thought it was being mean to the paper book.

I thought saving it for eternity was more respectful in the long run, but I know that a lot of people feel that conversion is essentially defacement...

The hardest thing was knowing what to do with the leftovers. I'm not sentimental about ripping the book up, but I am about putting the pages in recycling. How odd of me.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I wanted Michael Moorcock's second Corum trilogy. It simply didn't exist in ebook form. So I bought some cheap used copy, razored it and scanned it in page by page.

I don't think I'll ever do it again. It was labor intensive, sigh
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I use a camera on a tripod, 2 lamps from a DIY shop, a post office letter measurer thing to prop the book up on, and a sheet of glass for books that will open up flat (or my hands if it's a book I don't want to open up more than 90 degrees). Takes about half an hour to photograph 100 pages.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I wanted Michael Moorcock's second Corum trilogy. It simply didn't exist in ebook form. So I bought some cheap used copy, razored it and scanned it in page by page.

I don't think I'll ever do it again. It was labor intensive, sigh
I have a cheap ($250) Canon 4-in-1 scanner that allows you to feed in stacks, so that helped a lot. I couldn't bear to do individual pages for anything longer than Where the Wild Things Are (which was too big to set in the feed tray).
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
But as images, is there a way to detect the text after? So it can be use the e-reader features? Or you're just talking about .pdf's and such?
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Life ain't long enough! Not that I would have a clue how to do it any way. And I'm happy to have a Pbook if it doesn't exist as an ebook.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I've done a few. It's not worth the work unless I can share them. Mostly I've ran them through www.pgdp.net to get them proofed. I've done a few simple scans for my own use.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
But as images, is there a way to detect the text after? So it can be use the e-reader features? Or you're just talking about .pdf's and such?
So far, I've just done image-heavy stuff as PDF files.

The OCR software that I've seen online isn't cheap and I'm not quite ready to invest in that. At least as much because it's a major time sink at that point, too.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I plan to do some serious scanning when this thing is available:

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

that...that is so cool d;
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've converted 7 books that I had to chop the spines off, 8 more that I scanned flatbed because I didn't want to damage the originals, and have 3 or 4 more chopped in process. (And those are the ones I've chopped myself for my own conversions. I've also done conversions from Archive.org scans and zines that other people have scanned & wanted OCR'd versions of.)

The ones I've finished fall into two categories: out-of-print RPG gaming materials, and Pagan religious studies. There aren't going to be commercially-released ebook versions of either.

Having a job where we chopped & scanned hundreds of books helped get me over the idea that books had tremendous value in their physical form. (Nothing like chopping & scanning 7 volumes of the History of Freemasonry to get past the notion of books as Artifacts Of Lore and think of them as Nuisances Of Page-Jamming And Who The Hell Decided To Print The Photo Credits On Tissue Paper Anyway?) Of the 10 or so I've chopped, I've kept the originals, and am considering rebinding them with a comb binding; I'd lose the outside spine but keep them as usable paper books.

I use FineReader Pro, and am considering forking out the $$$ for the upgrade to 10.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #12
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

This looks good. I imagine it will be rather expensive though.

I don't think I'd find the time to use it often, however. I bought something for converting VHS tapes to DVD but hardly did any in the end. I have a better record on converting CDs to MP3s but still have hundreds of CDs waiting.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I use a camera on a tripod, 2 lamps from a DIY shop, a post office letter measurer thing to prop the book up on, and a sheet of glass for books that will open up flat (or my hands if it's a book I don't want to open up more than 90 degrees). Takes about half an hour to photograph 100 pages.
A very convenient way of doing it!

The last one I scanned, I scanned each page individually. Having a music stand and a spare digi-cam around the place, think I'll start looking for a sheet of glass to use next time.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm - actually this is of interest to me. However, I don't think I could bring myself to damage even a paperback that way.

Are there any good sites where I can learn about the various techniques? I have a scanner and I have a web cam and (of course) a digital camera. I would love to convert some of my heavier (hard to read) books into digital.

Up until now I was just thinking about repurchasing them all as ebooks but some are not available and there's always the cost factor.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
this would probably be very expensive, but it does provide an option to those who might be more willing to buy a used copy then do the hard stuff themselves then buy an ebook that they feel is more expensive ;D /a bit of sarcasm in there
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote