Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Jill4223
JillRE
Jill4223 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
First Post, Probably a Stupid Question

After looking at the manual, which I've downloaded to my desktop, I'm trying to figure out how to actually turn the Kindle off. I tried pushing the power button to the side and holding it but all it did was reboot my device and went back to a bookmark I had made earlier. I know you have to turn it off while on the plane until they tell you it's ok to turn it on, help some one please
Jill4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You slide the power switch and hold for about 4 seconds, longer than that causes a reboot.

Edit: Here is the official word.

Quote:
To turn your Kindle off: Slide and hold the power switch for four seconds until the screen goes blank and then release.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Jill4223
JillRE
Jill4223 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
thanks.
Jill4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Questions can't be stupid, Jill. Only answers. Good to have your company. I hope the generous and clued-up community here can help you make the most of your reader. Best wishes and welcome to a whole new reading world. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jill,

To add a word to the good advice you've already received: Keep in mind that you don't need to turn off the Kindle. If you keep the wireless switched off except when you need it (as many people do, I believe), the Kindle won't be consuming any signficant amount of power. And in any case, it will switch itself off after a few minutes of idleness.

The only reason I ever deliberately turn mine off is if I want to avoid accidently pressing a key or button.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend reading the "Kindle User Guide", which you should find pre-loaded on the device. The first few pages of it summarise all the important stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Jill,

To add a word to the good advice you've already received: Keep in mind that you don't need to turn off the Kindle. If you keep the wireless switched off except when you need it (as many people do, I believe), the Kindle won't be consuming any signficant amount of power. And in any case, it will switch itself off after a few minutes of idleness.

The only reason I ever deliberately turn mine off is if I want to avoid accidently pressing a key or button.
I actually didn't know how to turn it off for months until I got on a flight and just before take off had to do a quick search of the User Guide.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here's another page to add to Daffy's......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375430

That way you can play with your kindle while you are reading the guide online.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote