Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
JoeSchmoe007
JoeSchmoe007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Unable to connect to Kindle store via Kindle DX

Is anyone able to connect to Kindle store via Kindle DX? I am not, since yesterday. FWIW I am in NYC. I can't recall last time when I tried before yesterday, possibly a month or more ago but I remember I was able to browse the store at the time.

I do get 3G connection but when I try to connect to the store I get this:

"Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range..."

I tried rebooting the Kindle and even brought it to a location 15 miles away from home to be sure I connect to a different tower but result is the same.

I haven't tried resetting to factory settings yet.

This is not a problem with my account because I can connect from my Android tablet via Kindle app with no problems.

I suspect Kindle store site has been changed and is no longer compatible with Kindle DX
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Just tried with my old DX, and it connects to the Kindle store just fine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I just tried with mine and while I didn't try and buy anything the store opened right up.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
De-register and re-register. I think it needs to update security certificate or something. I had to do this with my K1 a few months ago.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
De-register and re-register. I think it needs to update security certificate or something. I had to do this with my K1 a few months ago.
Does de-registering and re-registering delete all books from your Kindle?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Does de-registering and re-registering delete all books from your Kindle?
No it does not.

It does do that with the Kindle smartphone app, but not with E-Ink devices.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
JoeSchmoe007

I tried de-registering and re-registering, reset to factory settings and nothing helps.

I have 3G connectivity and able to send book samples to this device via 3G by initiating transfers from my desktop computer browser.

I was also able to return borrowed book by initiating return from my desktop computer browser - book got deleted from my device via 3G. So there is definitely communication between my Kindle and Amazon.

I contacted Amazon support.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
JoeSchmoe007

Amazon support told me this is apparently a known current problem with Kindle DX and some other older version of Kindles. They will troubleshoot further.

Those of you who do have it working - what version of the software do you have? It is at the bottom of the page on Settings screen. I have 3.2.1

PS Did you you know there is a very cool modem status page? I didn't. You can access it by typing 611 (Alt-Y-Q-Q) when on the Settings page. It shows a lot of information about your modem status.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My DXG is at 2.5.8, which according to the support page is the current version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201504450

Are you sure yours is a DX? Sounds to me like you have a Kindle Keyboard, which would have supported 3.2.1.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
I know you mentioned connecting via 3g, have you tried wifi?
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
I know you mentioned connecting via 3g, have you tried wifi?
The Kindle DX doesn't have Wifi capability.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you do the hack where you install a later firmware on a DX? If so, maybe that's why it's not working with store.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #13
JoeSchmoe007

What is considered to be a latest version for DX today? I have 3.2.1
Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As JSWolf said,

3.2.1 is our (MobileRead's) FrankenFirmware, not Amazon's official release.
Amazon left the DX hanging high and dry at 2.5.8

So there is no telling if the unofficial update somehow borked the connection to Amazon's storefront.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
JoeSchmoe007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As JSWolf said,

3.2.1 is our (MobileRead's) FrankenFirmware, not Amazon's official release.
Amazon left the DX hanging high and dry at 2.5.8

So there is no telling if the unofficial update somehow borked the connection to Amazon's storefront.
Yes, I know this is not an "official" firmware. I don't recall exact reason I installed it at the time (several years ago), most likely for Cyrillic support. It has been working fine until recently though.

I think I read somewhere expiration of SSL certificate may be a cause for this.