Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main person I'd be harming had I not gone to see this film would be me, given that it's something I've been looking forward to for a long time, and it strikes me as a bit silly to deprive myself of a pleasure simply because the author of the book that it's based on has expressed views that I don't agree with. So no, it never crossed my mind not to see it. Doing so would be depriving myself of a pleasant evening out, and is extremely unlikely to change Mr Card's opinions of gay marriage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main person I'd be harming had I not gone to see this film would be me, given that it's something I've been looking forward to for a long time, and it strikes me as a bit silly to deprive myself of a pleasure simply because the author of the book that it's based on has expressed views that I don't agree with. So no, it never crossed my mind not to see it. Doing so would be depriving myself of a pleasant evening out, and is extremely unlikely to change Mr Card's opinions of gay marriage.
My comment was just on the characterization as a violation of Card's “free speech.” Really freedom of speech does not cover more than saying that the government should not suppress speech and should protect a person's rights to say what they wish without intimidation. That would not include refusing to support a person that you disagree with financially.

If Ender's Game did come to my town I'd probably go see it. I'm not a big enough fan of SciFi by Orson Scott Card or not that it would be a must see for me, but we get few enough films here that are not for the age 16 and under crowd. Card is not a politician, is probably not well known outside of SciFi circles, and has little power to influence laws or public policy. Yeah I disagree with his views on gay rights, most of his political views, and that Mormonism is just strange, but if the film is entertaining none of that would matter to me.

So I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Other than suggesting that “It's a film that really benefits from the "big screen" experience” you haven't really commented on what would draw me into see an adaption of a SciFi novel I've already read. That is seeing hard to imagine technology brought to life.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I was answering your question.
Oh. Thank you.-)

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I remember reading a comment by Card that Ender's Game would be an impossible film to make because most of the story takes place inside Ender's head. I'll probably go see the movie for that reason alone.

Was he involved in the movie-making process at all, does anyone know?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "battle school" scenes are well done, I think. It's a big space station in Earth orbit, with two rotating rings to provide artificial gravity for the living quarters, and an enormous non-rotating sphere between them for the zero-g battle room. Much as I pictured from the book. And as you would expect these days, the zero-g battles themselves are convincingly portrayed.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yeah I disagree with his views on gay rights, most of his political views, and that Mormonism is just strange, but if the film is entertaining none of that would matter to me.
It's not his views or opinions that matter to me so much, as his vigorous, vicious activism.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I find Card's political views just as abhorrent as Rowling's. That said, I wouldn't let either of their views get in the way of reading their books or watching their films.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I find Card's political views just as abhorrent as Rowling's. That said, I wouldn't let either of their views get in the way of reading their books or watching their films.
I wasn't aware that Ms. Rowling had expressed any political views.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I wasn't aware that Ms. Rowling had expressed any political views.
She's strongly in favour of the welfare state, and of the rich paying taxes.

"I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr. Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty check. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
She's strongly in favour of the welfare state, and of the rich paying taxes.

"I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr. Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty check. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism."
That doesn't seem terribly controversial to me. She's saying that the state helped her out when she was down on her luck, and now she's doing well, it's her turn to pay it back. Good on her. How anyone could find that "abhorrent" I find a little puzzling.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That doesn't seem terribly controversial to me. She's saying that the state helped her out when she was down on her luck, and now she's doing well, it's her turn to pay it back. Good on her. How anyone could find that "abhorrent" I find a little puzzling.
I fear we are straying into Politics, and so should not continue this strand of the thread here.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Agreed.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #43
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Still waiting for feedback on the movie! 6,9/10 on Imdb.com so far, but from only 1600 votes, which doesn't seem promising (Movies are always rated higher in the beginning, when the die hard fans watch it).

HarryT, since you seem to be the only one who have seen it, is it a standard teenage movie?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
HarryT, since you seem to be the only one who have seen it, is it a standard teenage movie?
No, I wouldn't say it is. It's pretty "dark" (just like the book is), with Colonel Graff (the Battle School commander, played by Harrison Ford) doing whatever is necessary to make Ender into what he needs him to be. It doesn't pull any punches.

I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't score terribly highly on a film review site; it's not a "populist" film by any means, and probably won't appeal to non-SF fans.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I fear we are straying into Politics, and so should not continue this strand of the thread here.
But good to keep the opportunity of reading the relevant posts to see the excellent rebuttal of the original ..... slur? ......... if that's not too "un-Parliamentary" .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote