Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I like my sources to remain independent. For instance, I purchase a lot of books at Amazon, but I was using Goodreads as a place to go get reviews. I felt that it was more neutral and I would get a more honest review.

This is a big win for Amazon. To have data a large amount of readers and more importantly buyers of books must seem like a goldmine to them.

I don't understand why someone would leave Goodreads just because Amazon bought them out. So far nothing has changed. It's not like Amazon is the "Big Satan"! At least not yet...
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #47
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I like Amazon. I own a kindle and regularly buy a variety of products from them, including ebooks,and have been nothing but satisfied with their service. I can see the great possibilities of having an amazon/goodreads integration.

That said, I can't escape the feeling of the walls closing in. That Goodreads was an independent entity was a great selling point. Someone posted on GR, and I agree completely, that members may have been willing to pay a fee to keep it that way. But members weren't consulted about anything like that.

Oh, well. May as well happily, numbly succumb to the reality that soon the whole internet will be owned by the benign, gentle, only-keeping-track-of-everything-you-do-for-your-own-benefit megacoporation Amazoogle...George Orwell is turning over in his grave.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #48
gdimike
gdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't litter

Device: nook classic, kobo Wifi, Kindle, Kindle Touch
Amazon buying Goodreads? I'm done with Goodreads.
gdimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #49
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It isn't a question of liking or disliking Amazon. It's a question of preferring multiple sources of information to one.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Time to leave Goodreads I guess :-( What is the next best site that is still neutral?
It was by far my favorite, but LibraryThing is still independent.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #51
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I like Amazon. I own a kindle and regularly buy a variety of products from them, including ebooks,and have been nothing but satisfied with their service. I can see the great possibilities of having an amazon/goodreads integration.

That said, I can't escape the feeling of the walls closing in. That Goodreads was an independent entity was a great selling point. Someone posted on GR, and I agree completely, that members may have been willing to pay a fee to keep it that way. But members weren't consulted about anything like that.

Oh, well. May as well happily, numbly succumb to the reality that soon the whole internet will be owned by the benign, gentle, only-keeping-track-of-everything-you-do-for-your-own-benefit megacoporation Amazoogle...George Orwell is turning over in his grave.
I agree, but LibraryThing has a fee membership (lifetime) and I don't think it's working out all that well. They would have been able to at least guess at which idea was more lucrative. And Amazon has deep pockets.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I wonder if Kobo will still show Goodreads reviews on their site.
Sony uses GoodReads reviews, too, although the integration at both sites is a bit wacky.

So I wonder what's going to happen for both of them, long term.

And what's going to happen to the ability for users to CHOOSE which store (or library) links show under book titles. I really like being able to link my Goodreads to my libraries when I'm picking off my wishlist shelf.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 03-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #53
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I agree, but LibraryThing has a fee membership (lifetime) and I don't think it's working out all that well. They would have been able to at least guess at which idea was more lucrative. And Amazon has deep pockets.
You're totally right of course. Obviously selling out to Amazon would be more lucrative, if that's what they were after. Not that I blame them - if had started GR, and Amazon slid a scrap of paper across the table, as it were, that had a number with a lot of zeros after it, I'd probably sell out too. It is disappointing though.

Quote:
I think LibraryThing is partially owned by Amazon or one of its subsidiaries, please correct me if I'm wrong.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
This is an issue that comes up a lot with free services (see also: Google Reader). If you aren't paying for a service, you aren't the customer. You are the product that is sold to whoever is actually paying the bills, and the company's loyalty to you is, at best, indirect.

Companies like this are always at risk of either changing their services to the benefit of advertisers and detriment of users, or else of being sold to someone who will pay.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #55
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
You're totally right of course. Obviously selling out to Amazon would be more lucrative, if that's what they were after. Not that I blame them - if had started GR, and Amazon slid a scrap of paper across the table, as it were, that had a number with a lot of zeros after it, I'd probably sell out too. It is disappointing though.

I think LibraryThing is partially owned by Amazon or one of its subsidiaries, please correct me if I'm wrong.
LibraryThing is funded partially by Abebooks, which Amazon purchased. So, sort of.

Here is LibraryThing's response to Amazon buying GR:

http://www.librarything.com/topic/152033
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #56
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post

Curious about this; are your Amazon and Goodreads accounts linked somehow?
I don't have an account at Goodreads, which is why I was so surprised that the book showed up in my browsing history on Amazon (and I'm certain that I never looked at the book on Amazon itself).
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #57
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Could this acquisition be related to the review war over on Amazon? They want more professional assessments for potential customers?
There are two ways to have the best reviews on the internet. One is to get the best reviewers. The other is to get rid of anything better. The latter is, generally speaking, a hell of a lot cheaper.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I've found this:
http://joachimvlieghe.tumblr.com/pos...ialreadinglist
while this one shows the interface of some of the above
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...itle=Goodreads

still have not finished checking them out, but so far nothing looking as good as goodreads, and anyhow I want to see how goodreads changes, if it does, before ditching it. Just in case, though, I am exporting all my books now.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Depending on what you're looking for, there is a small community and tracking/ranking book service here:

http://www.fictfact.com/

I like it for my series tracking and the community is friendly (small, but friendly). It all depends on what you're looking for, but it is one of my favorites for no good reason, really.

Edited: By ranking, I mean you rank the books series, not the site.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #60
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
FictFact is somehow tied into Amazon as well. I mean they are the only advertisements that I see on that site.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote