Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
WereVince
WereVince began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Scientific papers in PRS600

Hi everybody,
I just received my PRS-600. I am a linux user and I am using the wonderful calibre software. Although the PRS600 is pretty good at displaying pdfs, I found that it has a problem with two columns pdfs with figures that spread over the entire page (typically scientific paper like "Science" or "Nature"...). I tried several ways to convert them, but the result is usually disappointing. Then, I found out about the calibre recipes. It is indeed much easier to upload the html version of the paper and convert it to epub or lrf. My problem is the following: my company offers access to many scientific journals via some sort of proxy (or a "gate"), with username and password. For instance, to access sciencemag.org, I just have to go to sciencemag.org.gate1.inist.fr, fill the login and password, and then everything goes exactly like if I was logged into the sciencemag web site. I tried to modify the "science AAAS" in calibre accordingly, but I get a weird error:
LookupError: unknown encoding: utf-8s
It seems the "insit" page uses a strange encoding.
Any clue?
Thanks,
V
WereVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can probably register utf-8s as an alias for utf-8 in the python codec registry but I don't recall exactly how. Look at the documentation for the python codec module
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
WereVince
WereVince began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Sorry for not responding earlier. I tried to find the solution, and then I was traveling.
I looked at python documentations, but none of the solutions I have tried worked. And Python is not really my language... Any more information would be appreciated.
Apart from that, I find calibre extremely useful for synchronizing my reader and my Library. If I can give my feedback, I would just mention two things that would make it an even more enjoyable experience:
- I was wondering if there are ways to separate my personal and my professional libraries other than by using tags, and in general organizing libraries in a hierarchical manner.
- I found that I sometimes upload the same files several times on the reader. Would there be a way to automatically detect doublons?
Happy new years and thanks for you help and the great job on Calibre.
V
WereVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've never done this myself, so other than telling you to use the codec registry, I'm out

You can use multiple libraries with calibre, just search and you wil find how to in many threads.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote