Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
limecello
limecello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library Books for the Kindle?

I don't know if there's a thread on this - I tried searching in a few places (and running a search) - but didn't get anything.

I'm considering buying a Kindle 2 (after over a year of waffling and leaning towards a Sony). Anyway - a number of my libraries use Overdrive, and have digital books you can check out, but the vast majority are .pdf files - is there any way I could check out the books and convert them so they'd be readable on a kindle, or would I just out of luck?
limecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
You'd just be out of luck.

I'll never understand why public institutions always use some assbackwards format for things. You'd think there would be a real priority on interoperability.

It's like my university... most the students have Macs and they go through an incredibly expensive transition to an Exchange server instead of something free everyone can use. Or using Ruckus (wma encryption, now defunct) which is Windows only for a music service.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Overdrive lending library PDFs are only readable using Adobe Digital Editions. The only EInk devices that include this are the Sony PRS-505 and PRS-700.

The Overdrive lending library MOBIs are readable by any device that supports (DRMed) MOBI. This includes the Kindle, but first you have to run the kindleFIX script, see Visual Kindle Guide.

Unfortunately, as you have noticed, there are typically many more PDFs than MOBIs in most lending libraries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You might also consider investing $100 and purchase a non-resident library card for the NYC library. They have a fairly large selection of mobi ebooks and let you checkout 20 ebooks at a time if I remember correctly.

Your other choice is to make an input to your library - they often listen to users.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
You'd just be out of luck.

I'll never understand why public institutions always use some assbackwards format for things. You'd think there would be a real priority on interoperability.

It's like my university... most the students have Macs and they go through an incredibly expensive transition to an Exchange server instead of something free everyone can use. Or using Ruckus (wma encryption, now defunct) which is Windows only for a music service.
Yeah, i had the same problem in college. 90% of the students in Computer Science had either Macs or Linux machines, and the school insisted on using as much microsoft software as possible.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You might also consider investing $100 and purchase a non-resident library card for the NYC library. They have a fairly large selection of mobi ebooks and let you checkout 20 ebooks at a time if I remember correctly.

Your other choice is to make an input to your library - they often listen to users.

cheers
I'm tempted to check out this NYC library card...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm tempted to check out this NYC library card...
Here's the linky.....you can search by Adobe or Mobipocket format to see the books that are available before you decide......

http://ebooks.nypl.org/7FDABF75-1FAE...en/Default.htm
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here's the linky.....you can search by Adobe or Mobipocket format to see the books that are available before you decide......

http://ebooks.nypl.org/7FDABF75-1FAE...en/Default.htm
Thanks
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
alku05
alku05 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Thanks for the tip about the NYC Library. Our library system offers a large collection of audiobooks through both Overdrive and NetLibrary, but no ebooks.
alku05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Just wanted to add that anyone who lives in NY state, has a business in NY or any address in NY can become a member of the NYC Library for FREE. They mail you the library card.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NYPL offers just over 3300 mobipocket ebooks, a lot of romance in that collection, however. So I would definitely do a through browse of what's there before putting up my $100. Still, even if you find 100 books that you do like, that's only $1 per book and if you unDRM them, you can read them at your leisure.

cheers
Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
round 2
round 2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 & 2 home
lots of alaska has access to "Listen Alaska" (overdrive) audio books but not ebooks.
s
round 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a non-resident NYPL card. I consider it to be well worth the $100 investment! They add new books quite regularly.

One small correction to Leeps's first post--they only allow 12 books to be checked out at once. But, your check outs automatically expire in 21 days which allows you to get more books.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
limecello
limecello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks everyone! I went through one of the digital libraries yesterday, and while there were a few more mobipocket books than I thought, it was still about 1:50. I still have two more to check.

I may look into the NYC card. I have no idea how to un-DRM books, or convert files, though I may have to because I do have a number of ebooks in .pdf

As for userability - for universities I don't know, but otherwise to make money? I know professional schools love examsoft for finals, but that precludes all mac users.
limecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Leep
Guru

Quote:
I may look into the NYC card. I have no idea how to un-DRM books, or convert files, though I may have to because I do have a number of ebooks in .pdf
At the present time, only mobipocket books can be unDRM'd. PDF books from the library are in a secure PDF format and at the present can only be read with ADE on your computer or on the Sony. They cannot be unDRM'd to my knowledge.

There is talk that Stanza will shortly be updated to include secure PDF which will add the iPhone and iTouch to the list of reading devices for that format.

cheers