Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
There may very well have been some issues that were perfected in the manufacturing. And if so, the Oasis should have that experience under its belt, and will start at the better end of the scale. One would hope.
I purchased my Voyage only a few weeks ago and it clearly has a yellowish pink tint on the upper part of the screen. It isn't always noticeable, only in a really dim room or when the brightness is cranked up.

I like my Voyage despite that, but I certainly hope the Oasis will have a more even frontlight.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've posted pics of mine. If I hold it upside down, there is a gradient. Fortunately, I don't normally read upside down. To me, the screen is perfect.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:28 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #63
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I got my voyage close to launch and it has a yellow gradient at the top it's just not enough to worry about.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #64
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm a person who sees the gradient. It took 4 tries for me to get a Voyage I was happy with. It had a little yellow at the top but after using it for awhile I really couldn't see it any longer. After reading your post this morning I took a picture of my Voyage to post as a perfect one and sure enough the gradient showed up in the photo so it is still there - my eyes have just gotten used to it and don't see it.
If I don't see it, it's as good as not being there.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #65
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was hoping for that also along with other new features, but I think I'm going to like the Oasis. I'm keeping the Voyage because I often like to read while eating and the Origami case is perfect for that and I really don't notice the gradient while reading.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #66
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I didn't buy my Voyage in order to see if it had a fault (and especially not in a dark room with the LEDs at full max). I bought it in order to enhance my reading experience. It does that, a lot. To some extent, it's an optimist/pessimist glass half-full/glass half-empty thing.

If I were looking at color images, then a color tint or lighting gradient would matter. But I'm not; I'm reading black & white text. So perhaps one looks around for a Voyage with a minimal color change, so that you yourself don't notice it (though I have never seen more than this one Voyage, and I like it just fine), but I'm reading text, not critiquing color samples. As long as the difference is not enough to bother *me*, then don't tell me my Voyage is flawed.

(I don't even see a difference unless I scrutinize it and look for it.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #67
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I guess all of the hardcopy books I read had shadows, gradients etc from the external lighting. I just lived with it. Same thing here: sometimes I see blotches on my Voyage. Sometimes I don't. Bottom line is I guess I don't expect the screen to be entirely smooth. Especially if we want to get closer (as the Amazon people say) to a "paper experience".

I have the Omoton cover, which is light and simple. It makes the kindle more like a book. I like the feeling of it rather than the hard plastic of the device. Also somehow it manages to stay closed in my purse, which is great.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The screen is glass.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #69
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
There's something "wrong". I went through 7 of them from launch to as recent as November last year. Gave up.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:30 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #70
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Totally love my Voyage, and I even love the origami cover. I didn't think I'd use it as a sand much, but turns out it's more useful than I imagined.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #71
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I'm glad I can't see the gradient in my Voyage screen.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't have an anti-reflective coating. The surface of the glass is etched to reduce reflections.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:33 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 AM   #73
WhatThe
WhatThe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm thinking of getting a Voyage. Should I wait until the Oasis comes out next week? Any chance it will be on sale for less than $200 then or anytime soon? Might just try a refurbished one for $150
WhatThe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThe View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Voyage. Should I wait until the Oasis comes out next week? Any chance it will be on sale for less than $200 then or anytime soon? Might just try a refurbished one for $150
You might wish to post in the "Which One Should I Buy" forum, located here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic, please.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My Voyage doesn't have "awful rainbow colours".

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-22-2016 at 03:34 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote