Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
CharleyGarrett
CharleyGarrett began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Unhappy can't install calibre-0.9.37.msi

Using Win7, just downloaded calibre. I get a message that says that "Newer version of calibre already installed. If you want to downgrade you must uninstall calibre first." How can anything be newer than the current version? I don't have calibre in my Control Panel/Programs to uninstall. Apparently I had installed it before, since I do have a folder named C:/Users/Me/Calibre Library with dates of about Oct 2011. In my downloads folder, I still have calibre-0.8.22.msi. That file will not install either.

Any pointers?

CharleyGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall and then install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
CharleyGarrett

how to uninstall?

I cannot get it to install. There is nothing in control panel/programs/ to uninstall.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run a registry cleaner or use the portable calibre version, which requires no install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
CharleyGarrett

Unhappy ran a register cleaner...no joy

So, you think my only option to get this installed is to use a portable version? That seems kind of clunky. If it really isn't installed, why can I not override this error message?
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyGarrett View Post
So, you think my only option to get this installed is to use a portable version? That seems kind of clunky. If it really isn't installed, why can I not override this error message?
You have stuff cluttering up your registry and confusing the installer. You can clean your registry, reinstall your OS or try calibre portable the choice is yours.

FYI, I have been using calibre portable for over a year.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-04-2013 at 02:44 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyGarrett View Post
You could try one of the Uninstaller programs - some of them claim they they can uninstall things that control panel can't even see

Here is a review of some free programs - https://www.techsupportalert.com/bes...-installer.htm

Geekuninstaller - looks promising

BR

PS : if you should happen to decide to reinstall Windows, you might want to consider using the inplace reinstall process - basically it reinstalls Windows and your applications - I did it recently, I was amazed at what a good job it did - I only had a couple of minor issues.

The Windows 7 Forum has a good How to in its tutorials forum.

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-04-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add ps
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I am not suggesting these are the killer solutions but one never knows until tried:

1. Easy and Safe to do; Download CCleaner and run the registry cleaner. It may, solve the problem but I would not hold out much hope.

2. Get Uninstall value from Registry: Start>Run>regedit. Navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall. Left click each of the { } items in the left hand pane (I don't think you will find Calibre listed under its real name, but it may be) until you see in the right hand pane that you have the one for Calibre. If it is not found then exit. If it is there then double click on the UninstallString registry value and select and copy (CTRL+C) the Value Data box contents. DON'T Change Anything. Exit regedit and open Start>Run and paste (CTRL+V) into it the Value Data box contents you copied as the string to run; click OK. This may work or it may fail with an uninstaller not present or other type message.

If you are confident in the Registry and don't have CCleaner installed already, then if it were me I would do 2. first.

John
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote