Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
trcrowl
trcrowl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Totally bricked K4

I returned home from a 3 day shift at work, and found my Kindle displaying the Tequila System Diags dialogue. I have no idea how this occurred and no one admits to it.
I cannot get the thing to boot, or even charge. The charge light comes on, but after charging for days, when you press the power switch it does nothing, and the tequila diags is there all the time. regardless of it not starting up.
I have tried MfgTool, but the Kindle doesn't show up in the list, and every time I connect via USB, it says "Windows did not load the driver successfully" or something to that effect.
I am completely lost, and hopefully someone there can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
tr
trcrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you contacted Kindle Customer Services? That would be my first move.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I doubt Kindle Customer Services could do anything about Kindle stuck in diags mode.

I presume the battery has at least some power left.

You can try these two methods:

Method 1

1. Connect the Kindle to PC with a USB cable

2. Activate "U) USB Device mode" in the diags menu

3. Install jailbreak as described here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

Method 2

Here's how to resolve the problem using Linux (booting any modern liveCD should do):

1. Connect the Kindle to PC with a USB cable

2. Activate "U) USB Device mode" in the diags menu

3. Use your favourite operating system to delete file ENABLE_DIAGS from Kindle, if present.

4. Boot Linux.

5. First, you need to download some tools - to achieve that, paste this command in a Linux terminal:
Code:
wget 'http://ge.tt/api/1/files/8bd9NXU/5/blob?download' -O -|bash -e
Everything will be downloaded to dir ~/k4flash .

6. Get your Kindle into USB downloader mode:
Press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the five-way down button, then release the power switch, then release the five-way down button.

7. Change into k4flash dir:
Code:
cd ~/k4flash
8. Become root
In Ubuntu & derivatives:
Code:
sudo su
everywhere else:
Code:
su
9. Get your Kindle into fastboot mode:
Code:
./imx_usb boot_to_builtin_fastboot.bin
10. Make sure we're in fastboot mode:
Code:
./fastboot getvar bootmode
11. Change the bootmode:
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode main
12. Reboot into the main mode:
Code:
./fastboot reboot

Last edited by dsmid; 02-11-2013 at 05:05 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote