Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
What Could Be Wrong With My Tablet?

I have a motorola xoom tablet and I have had it for not even a year. It's has worked absolutely perfectly up until a week ago. I plugged it in to charge and it just turned off!

Now here is the problem. I cannot turn the tablet on at all via the on button. I cannot do the quick reset by pushing the up volume button and one button at the same time. The only way I can turn on the tablet is by plugging in my charger but then again it's very hit and miss. The charger has to be plugged in and I can only turn on the tablet if the white charge light is showing. If the charger is in but no charging light then it won't turn on.

It starting to get worse and worse. I now have to jiggle the and put the charger in over and over several times before even a hint of the light shows up. Before when the tablet was fully on I could take the charger out and it would work till it needed another charge. Now if I do manage to turn it on and I take out the charger it will turn off. Even if I do leave the charger in even the slightest hint of movement to the charger will result in the tablet turning off.

What could have possibly cause this problem? Like I said above the tablet has been working perfectly since I got it till a week ago and then the above happened. When the tablet is on it works perfectly fine like nothing is wrong with it.

Is there anyway to fix this problem or do I just have to throw the tablet in and buy a new one?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Maybe a stupid question, but isn't the battery flat? It sounds like your charging port is on the verge of breaking. Leave the tablet off for a few hours, while plugged in (making sure it actually charges)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The battery isn't totally flat. Whenever I do get it turned on its at 40% and if it does charge to 100% it bounces up and down a few times and then it shows what real % it's at. I have charged it for several hours a few times and the same thing happened.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Welcome to the world of modern consumer electronics. Long gone are the days when they'd build stuff to try and last for decades... (I miss the Sony AM/FM + double tape deck I got for my birthday back in '85 - it finally died last year, after 27 years of regular use, though it probably lasted longer than it would have if I hadn't switched fully to CD around the turn of the century :P)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would try a different charger.

Test the battery. Clean the connections. Maybe try a replacement if you can borrow one or find one cheap. I've seen some sneaky batteries that will pretend to charge and drop to nothing as soon as the device is turned on.

When you're on the cusp of the tossing stage, you might as well fiddle with the charging port.

If nothing works, toss it at a kangaroo while yelling "Xoom that you hoppy bastard!"
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I agree, check the charging port. Perhaps there has been a little too much force while the charge connector was plugged in, and something has come loose inside, and sometimes short?

If you are brave enough you could take the xoom apart and see if the charging port is loose, and perhaps resolder it. Or remove the charging port if it is broken and start charging using a dock stand, if you have access to one.

For more google "How do I fix the faulty charger port on my xoom?"
and: "How do I open my xoom to repair it?"
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic

I think I'm just going to buy a new charger and see if that helps and I'm going to buy a new tablet anyway. If I can get the xoom to work properly again I will hand it over to my kids.