Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #361
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I have no doubt the network connection is working fine. Otherwise, there'd be no telnet connection.

The error presented about setting the screensaver is irrelevant. Rather, there is no meaningful error message. I guess it's stuck trying to connect, which indicates problems with the firewall, but I'm not entirely sure.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #362
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I have no doubt the network connection is working fine. Otherwise, there'd be no telnet connection.

The error presented about setting the screensaver is irrelevant. Rather, there is no meaningful error message. I guess it's stuck trying to connect, which indicates problems with the firewall, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yeah I was tired (and confused as I was supporting two people with similar issues).

You need to CONFIRM that you can actually connect to your PC's 5900 port from something and that :0 or :1 is the correct display. Do you have a laptop as well as a PC? run a vncviewer one of them and a sever on the one you wish to connect to. Then you can be certain that it works in an environment you know.

This is a "configuration error" as opposed to "application fail".

I'm much more refreshed now after my mighty 3 hours sleep... sigh...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #363
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I just tested the script - mine is :0

is yours???? (on my kindle dev = 192.168.1.1 but I unrolled the first call to show this)

[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kvncviewer.sh 192.168.1.1:2
Quote:
24/03/2013 11:09:14 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
24/03/2013 11:09:14 Unable to connect to VNC server
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kvncviewer.sh -password yadayad dev:1
Quote:
24/03/2013 11:11:21 ConnectToTcpAddr: connect
24/03/2013 11:11:21 Unable to connect to VNC server
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kvncviewer.sh -password yadayad dev:0
Quote:
24/03/2013 11:11:32 VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.8)
24/03/2013 11:11:37 We have 1 security types to read
24/03/2013 11:11:37 0) Received security type 2
24/03/2013 11:11:37 Selecting security type 2 (0/1 in the list)
24/03/2013 11:11:37 Selected Security Scheme 2
24/03/2013 11:11:37 VNC authentication succeeded
24/03/2013 11:11:37 Desktop name "dev:0"
24/03/2013 11:11:37 Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.8
24/03/2013 11:11:37 VNC server default format:
24/03/2013 11:11:37 32 bits per pixel.
24/03/2013 11:11:37 Least significant byte first in each pixel.
24/03/2013 11:11:37 TRUE colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0

.... yada yada yada
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #364
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
Alright, I've tried the other suggestions and am getting the following output:

[root@kindle root]# ./kvncviewer.sh 192.168.1.1:2
-sh: ./kvncviewer.sh: not found
[root@kindle root]# ./kvncviewer.sh 192.168.1.1:1
[root@kindle root]# ./kvncviewer.sh 192.168.1.1:0
[root@kindle root]#

I get the same messages for the commands related to passwords too.

Also, here are my current VNC settings:

I have a question. Have downloaded the correct kindlevncviewer folder to the correct place on my kindle? When one unzips the vnc hack, one sees a folder named kindlevncviewer. INSIDE that folder is yet another folder named kindlevncviewer. I have the second folder downloaded to the usb root directory of my DX. (I previously had the other one in my root directory and was getting a "...mnt/us..." something error.)
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #365
twobob

Like I said before.

Stop trying to run the script

And look inside it

run the commands individually.

you are basically "operating blind" at this point - and so are we.

I already typed what the various command in that script "do"

so Ill just show me doing them...

so just turn OFF your password protection for now.
(it's not like anyone is gonna connect without your knowledge inside your internal network, add that later then)

and be CERTAIN from the kindle that 192.168.1.1 IS your PC

port 5901 implies :1 IIRC

so you would

[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kindlevncviewer -config ./config.lua 192.168.1.1:1

no script, just that.

if that fails then your FIREWALL is stopping the connection. or the IP is wrong. or you have the port setup incorrectly...

did you try 5900 and :0 like I suggested?

at which point you would

[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kindlevncviewer -config ./config.lua 192.168.1.1:0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_258.png
Views:	306
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	103433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_259.png
Views:	303
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	103434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_260.png
Views:	312
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	103435  

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #366
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Hi Mr. Hawhill and Mr. Twobob

Thank you for your replies.

The onyx boox m92 is the one I have. (Actually I just bought it and it's on its way to my home)

The specs are:
Display 9.7" E Ink® Vizplex® PEARL EPD display Contrast Ratio 12:1 Gray Levels 16-shade Screen Resolution 1200 x 825
External memory slot SD (SDHC)
Flash memory eMMC 4GB
Formats of audio MP3, WAV
Processor Freescale i.MX508 800MHz
I believe the OS is Lynux.

Do you think the whole vnc thing would work on this thing?
Do you think I can use the whole kindle version of jailbreaking kit on this Lynux?

The reason I bought this instead of Kindle is that Kindle new lines are all small in regard to screen size.
But if I ever have to do some of works such as coding shell for Lynux by myself..
Not sure if I can ever figure that out by myself.. TT

Windows 8 doesn't allow VNC server to be run??
I just bought the whole PC with W8 like less than two weeks ago...

If I ever install Lynux say Ubuntu? on my D drive then from there would I be able to use VNC viewer?

I am really sorry for my little knowledge on computer.

Thank you
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #367
twobob

Windows 8 is "mega fail". I wouldn't run Window 8 if you held me down and beat me.
Windows 7 would be fine.

Linux would be fine.
Processor Freescale i.MX508 800MHz is fine.

We don't have your device.... Only one way to find out!!!
try it!!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #368
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
From what little I know looks like a linux box (Onyx) thus it should run the program without "crashing", or should I say is capable of running the program..

You do not say the EXACT type of onyx book so I could only guess at the processor. either a 800MHz Cortex A8 CPU or a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz or a Marvell 166e 800MHz, two of which I know something about.

They are all 4 bit displays (I Think), But how you would manage the screen updates I do not know. That part of it you would have to figure out for yourself, probably a small piece of code but it would need looking at.

So yeah... The project could be rebuilt from source if required to target your processor if required but honestly I would just try to run the current release and then tag on the bit of screen update code yourself.

A fully worked example might be referenced from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=326

With an EXAMPLEsupplemental eink update implementation like this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=328
I say example because - miracles withstanding - that WON'T work, you need to find that piece of code for yourself....

Also there is a whole pile of things that could go wrong. Framebuffers of slightly different sizes causing garbled screen output (one type of onyx book is 1200px x 825px for example, the others are 800x600), and probably 100 other things that could be very slightly "wrong" or "different enough" to make it just not work without a few coding amenments.

All that said...

a) Find out what code you need to send to cause a full eink refresh.
b) check if the current code RUNS on your machine without needing to be rebuilt
c) Run it and see what output you get.

Honest answer is I HAVE NO IDEA if that might work.

But at least you have a few tips to try.

I would guess - if you have the "right" book - with same/supported processor - same resolution - and the update code - that it should work

Hey, it might even work on ALL of them with enough love. But honestly without the device, this is complete speculation.

HAVE FUN!!!
Hi Mr Twobob

I was just rereading your post.
The resolution is quite similar. 1200 X 825 while the Kindle DX is 1200 X 824.
There is just 1 pixcel different... which I don't know is a lot or nothing to be worried...

SO the things in common are
Lynux OS
Freescale CPU... does the model or version of it matter ?

Things slightly different are
Resolution Just one Pixel

I don't know what "4 bit displays" means in here..
I searched for what bit displays of Kindle but couldnt find it.

Since I have little confidence in customizing of some codes by myself, I am now thinking whether I should return the Onyx boox that is soon to be arrived... If I return it I have to do so in unused condition, but then again I might not even able to do the things on Windows 8...

My OS shows it's Windows 8.. It doesn't show any other information. maybe I can downgrade to W7 if I pay for it... Sigh....

Thank you for reading
Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #369
twobob

I haven't read Hawhills code in a while but I don't think the pixel will make a difference.

If i remember correctly is just estimates the width. Of course it may not work at all anyway. There are no guarantees. I would guess Yes.

Regarding Windows 8. It (The Home Edition) locks down your machine to just running thing you buy from the Windows Store (I think) so there is no way on earth I would even have it given to me. Much less run it on my computer.

the Freescale cpu should be fine.

It's a gamble. Possibly an expensive one. I can't make any promises.
But the Windows 8 you can just put in the bin as far as developers are concerned.

(and Yes I do own a copy of Visual Studio 2012 that I would need to build windows Metro products, it is still in "the wrapper" and will stay that way forever unless something radically changes in Microsoft's attitude to running code)

Last edited by twobob; 03-28-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #370
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Bah. I was just writing a long post about being careful, learning and doing recherche work - and then, just for fun, I googled for "m92 vnc". It looks as if everything is there - just head over to the right forums (and the wiki) for the device. Here at Mobileread. Not that they will be eager to do hand-holding for an installation of Windows 7, though.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #371
twobob

google FU!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #372
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
Twobob,

I solve the issue!

Here is what I needed to do:

1) Make sure the correct kindlevncviewer folder (i.e. the "inner" folder with this name) was downloaded to my DX's usb root drive

2) Make sure that my anti-virus allowed Tightvnc to access all ports (instead of just 5900/5901.

3) Turn the password off on TightVNC. (I could have sworn that I turned this off earlier, but I probably forgot to apply the change.)

4) Use the ... 192.168.2.1:0.. (not :1) code in puttytel when I try to tunnel into the DX.

So, my problems thus far have been because I stupidly did not do all four these things simultaneously.

Thanks for help!

Ben

Quote:
Like I said before.

Stop trying to run the script

And look inside it

run the commands individually.

you are basically "operating blind" at this point - and so are we.

I already typed what the various command in that script "do"

so Ill just show me doing them...

so just turn OFF your password protection for now.
(it's not like anyone is gonna connect without your knowledge inside your internal network, add that later then)

and be CERTAIN from the kindle that 192.168.1.1 IS your PC

port 5901 implies :1 IIRC

so you would

[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kindlevncviewer -config ./config.lua 192.168.1.1:1

no script, just that.

if that fails then your FIREWALL is stopping the connection. or the IP is wrong. or you have the port setup incorrectly...

did you try 5900 and :0 like I suggested?

at which point you would

[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kindlevncviewer -config ./config.lua 192.168.1.1:0
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #373
twobob

your welcome... it's a solid app so it had to be setup related.

NICE WORK!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #374
Kitty1221

Quote:
I haven't read Hawhills code in a while but I don't think the pixel will make a difference.

If i remember correctly is just estimates the width. Of course it may not work at all anyway. There are no guarantees. I would guess Yes.

Regarding Windows 8. It (The Home Edition) locks down your machine to just running thing you buy from the Windows Store (I think) so there is no way on earth I would even have it given to me. Much less run it on my computer.

the Freescale cpu should be fine.

It's a gamble. Possibly an expensive one. I can't make any promises.
But the Windows 8 you can just put in the bin as far as developers are concerned.

(and Yes I do own a copy of Visual Studio 2012 that I would need to build windows Metro products, it is still in "the wrapper" and will stay that way forever unless something radically changes in Microsoft's attitude to running code)
Hi Mr. Twobob

Thank you for your reply.
I see.. it's a gamble
And found out my Windows 8 is Home Edition...
The PC manufacturer doesnt support the downgrade to 7 so I am now thinking of doing it by myself. My Hardware specs are intel corei7, 16RAM so it should work but seems like I need to get the drivers for Windows 7?

And in regard with Kindle DX, maybe I should get this one that seems only available eBay as the Amazon is not manufacturing this model any longer. So first I try to hack the Onyx and if I fail then I would just simply buy the used Kindle DX.

Ahhh VERY LONG WAY to get the e-ink pc monitor for my eyes..

Thank you for reading
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #375
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1221 View Post
Hi Mr. Twobob

Thank you for your reply.
I see.. it's a gamble
And found out my Windows 8 is Home Edition...
The PC manufacturer doesnt support the downgrade to 7 so I am now thinking of doing it by myself. My Hardware specs are intel corei7, 16RAM so it should work but seems like I need to get the drivers for Windows 7?

And in regard with Kindle DX, maybe I should get this one that seems only available eBay as the Amazon is not manufacturing this model any longer. So first I try to hack the Onyx and if I fail then I would just simply buy the used Kindle DX.

Ahhh VERY LONG WAY to get the e-ink pc monitor for my eyes..

Thank you for reading

Did you see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=370

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc