Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
sushiboy21
sushiboy21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-Reader
Text repeating every few pages

The text on my Kobo repeats itself after every few pages. So far, I've seen this only with classics, as I haven't purchased a book yet.

I'm using 1.8.2 firmware.

This makes the books largely unreadable.

Anyone have a fix for this? I filed a report with Kobo tech support but so far no response.
sushiboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I had the same problem i just deleted the book and the re-downloaded it
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If it is a problem with more than the one book, you can try replacing the sqlite, images and kepub directory using the instructions here. It will result in all of the preloaded books being in kepub format outside of the database which will also mean they will work with the dictionary.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Kaltook
Kaltook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have the same problem.

Text repeats in *every* preloaded book, so downloading them all again would take a while.

For longer chapters it seems to go

Paragraph 1
<space>
Paragraph 2
<space>
Paragraph 3

Followed by
Paragraph 1
Paragraph 2
Paragraph 3
(no spaces/formatting)

Paragraph 4
<space>

and so on...

Tried replacing the sqlite (EDIT-Seems to have been the 1.4 Version -OOPS) and did a factory reset a few times too.

Kobo support has escalated me up to 'Level 2' and the 'Problems with patch' team - though I haven't heard back yet. (Given the time of year, not surprising).

Downloaded books and PDF files seem to be fine (though I've done more of the latter).

Forced a new patch update (from Dec 13 to the Dec 21 version) and that hasn't helped either. Haven't done a factory reset after that yet.

Last edited by Kaltook; 12-26-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Kaltook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Replacing the SQLite DB definitely does resolve this problem but you will absolutely need to use the latest version because otherwise you won't have the kepub versions of the book (in 1.4 the books were stored in the DB instead of in separate kepub files).
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Kaltook
Kaltook began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Hurrah!

I noticed that I didn't have a kepub folder and the sqlite file was the much larger size. I'm not sure if *I* messed up the patch to 1.8, or if the d/l patch doesn't fix that part of it.
Kaltook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
kmwott
kmwott began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had the same problem and decided to replace the SQLite DB. I had done it successfully with another kobo using 1.4. I did use the link to the 1.8 zip file but messed up somehow. I do have the 100 free books and have 4 (Four) of the approx 35 books that I've bought. Where did the rest go? One mistake that I did make was to put the replacement files in the wrong directory at first. I had no books at all at that point I then corrected that and got the 104 that I have. I want them all. Problem now is that I don't get a Sync button when I connect my Kobo. I think that I'll reboot the computer and hope that it corrects somehow. Any suggestions appreciated....

Kathy, Ottawa
kmwott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
kmwott
kmwott began at the beginning.

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmwott View Post
I had the same problem and decided to replace the SQLite DB. I had done it successfully with another kobo using 1.4. I did use the link to the 1.8 zip file but messed up somehow. I do have the 100 free books and have 4 (Four) of the approx 35 books that I've bought. Where did the rest go? One mistake that I did make was to put the replacement files in the wrong directory at first. I had no books at all at that point I then corrected that and got the 104 that I have. I want them all. Problem now is that I don't get a Sync button when I connect my Kobo. I think that I'll reboot the computer and hope that it corrects somehow. Any suggestions appreciated....

Kathy, Ottawa
Well - just re-booting didn't work but to make a long story short I have got a working Kobo with my purchased books. I decided to try another USB cable - the white one that came with the Kobo. With the black one I had handy the system was connecting but something wasn't working. When I connected with the white cable I was suddenly prompted to update the desktop application (again) and I did that - and was then able to update the library and finally Sync. I now have 138 books and from a brief look I no longer have the problem with repeated text.
kmwott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Why does Kobo wait for users to find and fix these on their own? The responsible thing would be to send an announcement with a solution to all users. It would certainly save them a lot of time on support communications.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Wow, a defective USB cable. There was a batch in AU that had those, I believe.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 AM   #11
marcfaaborg
marcfaaborg began at the beginning.

I have a similar problem, but on Ipad with Ibooks... Anyone has a solution for that?
marcfaaborg is offline   Reply With Quote