Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
K3 Highlight & Marks navigation is awful.

Pressing Menu->Go to Marks & Notes takes you to the first page of a strangely formatted document. I make lots of notes and i am surprised i can not browse my notes and highlights while staying in the book.

Here is how:

While reading, if i press Up or Down key i can start traversing the page i am on. Great! But when i press Left key, the view jumps to the beginning of the book. Counterintuitive and kind of useless feature... The Right key does nothing. Waste...

I would put Left & Right to good use - Press Left to go to the previous note or highlight, Press Right to go to the next one if any.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
Pressing Menu->Go to Marks & Notes takes you to the first page of a strangely formatted document. I make lots of notes and i am surprised i can not browse my notes and highlights while staying in the book.

Here is how:

While reading, if i press Up or Down key i can start traversing the page i am on. Great! But when i press Left key, the view jumps to the beginning of the book. Counterintuitive and kind of useless feature... The Right key does nothing. Waste...

I would put Left & Right to good use - Press Left to go to the previous note or highlight, Press Right to go to the next one if any.
I agree that navigation should be better; it is one of my top issues with Kindle (not that other ereaders are much better).

Note that left/right is used for chapter navigation. Not all books will have chapter markers, however (though the publishing guidelines state that they should). So if there are no markers, left/right jumps to the beginning/end respectively (press Back to get back to where you were...).

It is also equally hard to navigate to bookmarks, which is very ironic since bookmarks are supposed to make navigation easier. It was actually possible to navigate directly to bookmarks on K1, but that feature got lost somewhere on the road to K2.

And even when the page has the highlight or note you want to view, or hyperlink you want to click on, it is too hard to navigate to it - you have to traverse all of the text in between the top or bottom of the screen and the desired target. Slow and inefficient.

So what I'd like to see is an 'overload' of left/right as well as up/down. Something like this:

- Alt+left/right navigates to the page containing the previous/next bookmark/note/highlight, relative to current page
- Alt+up/down navigates directly to previous/next note/highlight/hyperlink on the current page, instead of having to press 5way to move one line or word at a time.

As you press the Alt key, instead of showing chapter navigation marks on the reading progress bar it would show indicators for pages with bookmarks/annotations/hyperlinks. (and for extra credit, the Locations numbers would change to 'Pages' numbers for those people who would like to measure their reading progress in page turns (at the current text size, that is..).)

And finally, Alt+Back would undo the effect of Back.

(or maybe the 'shift' key would be a better modifier)

The PDF viewer could use most of this functionality as well, moreso since there is no chapter navigation or hyperlink or TOC support. Left/right does nothing, when it could at least be jumping to bookmarks you have created to help get around.

I've sent these suggestions to kindle-feedback at least a couple of times. The K3 improvements show that they are not necessarily only interested in 'wow' features, but even little things. So I hope they'll consider this for a future update.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Agreed - the whole notes and marks thing is a bit lacklustre on the Kindle which they should fix. And while they're at it, they can display book covers in the book list view as well

If you do a lot of highlighting and notes, you can access them all online in an easier to manage interface - kindle.amazon.com
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what i understood Amazon would only keep track of highlights from books bought on Amazon. Besides, these are different interactions. Sometimes (WHILE READING) after writing a note, one or two pages later (with new insights) i want to add something to that note or modify it - that's why i would like to get back to it.

@tomsem - thanks for your very elaborate and very well thought through comment. I hope Amazon will listen to you. I have tried to find any way to send any Kindle feedback to Amazon but failed. A couple of days ago I have send a query to CS on how i could send some feedback and did not hear from them

Last edited by Starko; 11-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post

@tomsem - thanks for your very elaborate and very well thought through comment. I hope Amazon will listen to you. I have tried to find any way to send any Kindle feedback to Amazon but failed. A couple of days ago I have send a query to CS on how i could send some feedback and did not hear from them
Send email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com and you will get at least an automated response, and often something customized by a human being. The response also has 'Did I solve your problem?' links to provide further clarification etc. I like to think someone actually compiles these ideas; they'd be idiots if they didn't.

If you have a support issue or question I would go through CS. I usually start on the amazon web site 'contact us' link and go from there. Depending on the urgency, you can use email, phone, or chat.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert