Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Voyage review on engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/20/a...voyage-review/

Seems to have been written by someone who uses ereaders to read books.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
The screen looks awesome. Excited to receive it tomorrow!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The Verge has theirs up as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/20/7...-voyage-review

Can't wait till tomorrow!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
I may be taking a trip to BB tomorrow just to see it before it arrives for me. Thank you both for posting those reviews!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I think I'll hold out for the Voyage 2015 model. My PW2 serves me well enough for now.

Not to be too nitpicky, but the back of the voyage is less than pretty.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post

Not to be too nitpicky, but the back of the voyage is less than pretty.
How much time would you spend looking at the back?

It's similar to the back of my Kobo Aura HD.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Wonder if it's worth getting on early, or better to wait until they've worked out some of the kinks.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I think I'll hold out for the Voyage 2015 model. My PW2 serves me well enough for now. Not to be too nitpicky, but the back of the voyage is less than pretty.
If I had a properly functional PW1 I'd wait, too. Totally agree on the back of the KV. I'm concerned to say the least. If I hate it back it goes.

ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
How much time would you spend looking at the back?
Surprisingly, a lot. The feel of it is important to me, too. I read without a case.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/kindle-voyage-review/

General consensus seems to be that the Voyager is out of this quadrant.

I've put a shaded film over the too bright for night reading light on my NTB's lighted case and I'm thinking about getting a flygrip to help deal with the double weight of the case + kindle. The film is working well. Hopefully the flygrip will help me seal the deal and evade Amazon's premium lineup until discounts commence or even until speakers and real storage are added.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Seems to miss that there are page back buttons as well as page forward.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/20/a...voyage-review/

Seems to have been written by someone who uses ereaders to read books.
Engadget totally botched the section titled THE COMPETITION as they do not show the H2O next to the Voyage in the photo and they talk about the now no longer made Aura HD instead of the H2O. But then (IMHO), if they had shown the H2O next tot he Voyage, the Voyage would not look better. The H2O would look better.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Verge calls the side buttons "clicky strips".

Paying $200+ for clicky strips.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Engadget totally botched the section titled THE COMPETITION as they do not show the H2O next to the Voyage in the photo and they talk about the now no longer made Aura HD instead of the H2O. But then (IMHO), if they had shown the H2O next tot he Voyage, the Voyage would not look better. The H2O would look better.
Why would the H2O look better? The ppi is actually a bit less on the H20 at 265dpi. At best maybe the difference would be negligible and for consumers it would come down to 6 vs 6.8 screen, waterproofing, lighting and content?
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Why would the H2O look better? The ppi is actually a bit less on the H20 at 265dpi. At best maybe the difference would be negligible and for consumers it would come down to 6 vs 6.8 screen, waterproofing, lighting and content?
I think the H2O would look better because of the larger size and as you stated, the ppi is negligible for most people. But that is my opinion. I'm hoping we get some side-by-side comparisons soon.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that is my opinion.
Thanks for letting us know. You've only posted about why you don't like the Voyage about twelve hundred times, so we really wern't sure yet.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote