Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinsic View Post
I Agree, I purchased a Ipad Air This year to replace my Entourage Edge and I thought it would be a good replacement for the E-Ink screen but I am finding that it doesnt do very well for hours of reading that I do. Its bad on my eyes. Also Apple PDF technology has terrabad reflow. On my Edge PDFS would reflow just fine, but on the Ipad it does not work very well or not at all for most books no matter how many reading apps I tried.

I am also looking for a 9 to 10in E-Ink Screen now for reading. If anybody out there heres of one that has a fast processor and good memory I will have to splurge for a new one.
Why do you need pdf reflowing on iPad or 10" e-ink ?

You can try Duokan, it reflows both textual and scanned pdfs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61#post2923561

For me 10" iPad is ideal for A5 pdf and 2-column A4 pdf in portraite and one-column A4 pdf in landscape, just zoomed in without margins (by zooming locked for all pages or by zooming every single page separately in less than a second by pinching).

I always use ultra mate antiglare screen protector and always reduce the brightness considerably, e.g. on iPad 1 it's always on minimum + brightness further reduced in pdf readers like PerfectReader + f.lux app for warmer colors + mate screen protector that also reduces brightness to some degree.

On iPad 4 it's about 10-15% brightness in dimmer conditions, also with ultra mate screen protector + f.lux app if reading for hours during the night or just some pdf reader with sepia background choice.

Last edited by markom; 12-28-2014 at 02:32 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
bit late to the party, but having just purchased the Onyx M96 I can heartily recommend it.
All of those that claim tablets are the best are right - unless you happen to be starting at a monitor continually during the day then you really do want a break.

For those spoilt with both, I find the experience of reading the PDF on the M96 and taking prose notes on my Samsung 10.1 (or wife's iPad) works really well. Of course, you can annotate on the M96 directly but for lots of words a separate device is really working well.

I would say though that the kindle DX had the right idea - be an e-ink reader and not a general purpose tablet. As long as you don't hope for a general purpose android e-ink table you will be fine (those page turns/animations are a killer).
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote