Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Kobo Glo - support for Eastern European fonts?

Polish to be exact. Please, can anyone enlighten me if it supports special characters or I will go through hoops trying to read inverted question marks? I cannot find answer to it anywhere, I only found out it was not supported by Touch. I don't want to fiddle with every epub with css etc before I transfer it to the reader. Cybooks support various languages with no problem. But I'd love to see if Glo is usable for me. I know I can add my own fonts to Kobo but apparently it still doesn't work (so I have read)
My purchasing decision hangs on this.

Please Kobo people and MR members can you answer this? I can attach something to test if necessary. Many thanks!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I know I can add my own fonts to Kobo but apparently it still doesn't work (so I have read)
I wonder whether this information is correct. I can read on my KT Tibetan and Devanagari (Hindi, Sanskrit) without any problems. So I would think other scripts should also work, provided the epubs follow the unicode standard.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
I only found out it was not supported by Touch
Hi o/
My parents use their Touch for Polish books and it works perfectly. At least two of the default fonts have all the Polish glyphs (and I think four don't) and other characters - like inverted quotations or long dashes - work with all fonts fine.

My assumption is that those same fonts exist on Glo and work just as well.

I can make some photos if you want.

I'm guessing that "not supported" means literally this: there is no support from customer service. Not that it doesn't work.

[my first post here, hi all]

Last edited by sysKin; 10-21-2012 at 09:33 PM.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I wonder whether this information is correct. I can read on my KT Tibetan and Devanagari (Hindi, Sanskrit) without any problems. So I would think other scripts should also work, provided the epubs follow the unicode standard.
Thank you. I saw some Poles complaining on Kobo forums about it so I was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Hi o/
My parents use their Touch for Polish books and it works perfectly. At least two of the default fonts have all the Polish glyphs (and I think four don't) and other characters - like inverted quotations or long dashes - work with all fonts fine.

My assumption is that those same fonts exist on Glo and work just as well.

I can make some photos if you want.

I'm guessing that "not supported" means literally this: there is no support from customer service. Not that it doesn't work.

[my first post here, hi all]
Welcome to MobileRead and thank you so much! It was very kind of you. I believe Georgia would read it and it is supposed to be on the Glo. I would greatly appreciate pictures if it is not too much time consuming and troublesome. "Not supported" in this case meant the reader itself would display other characters (eg "?") instead of Polish special characters.

Once more, many thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
I would greatly appreciate pictures if it is not too much time consuming and troublesome
Pic attached.
Please excuse a funny camera angle, I was trying to avoid glare... Also, font is large because that's what my parents prefer.

The following fonts work:
Georgia (used in the photo)
Gothic MB101
Ryumin

The following don't (show a funny replacement symbol for each Polish character):
Amasis
Avenir
Gill Sans
Rockwell

This is with firmware 2.1.4.

o/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	94652  

Last edited by sysKin; 10-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Pic attached.
Please excuse a funny camera angle, I was trying to avoid glare... Also, font is large because that's what my parents prefer.

The following fonts work:
Georgia (used in the photo)
Gothic MB101
Ryumin

The following don't (show a funny replacement symbol for each Polish character):
Amasis
Avenir
Gill Sans
Rockwell

This is with firmware 2.1.4.

o/
Oh GREAT! Thank you thank you thank you karma to you
Georgia (and Times) is my favourite font anyway for ereaders.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
zurakowg
zurakowg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Smile Polish Language Books on Kobo Glo

Quote:
Polish to be exact. Please, can anyone enlighten me if it supports special characters or I will go through hoops trying to read inverted question marks? I cannot find answer to it anywhere, I only found out it was not supported by Touch. I don't want to fiddle with every epub with css etc before I transfer it to the reader. Cybooks support various languages with no problem. But I'd love to see if Glo is usable for me. I know I can add my own fonts to Kobo but apparently it still doesn't work (so I have read)
My purchasing decision hangs on this.

Please Kobo people and MR members can you answer this? I can attach something to test if necessary. Many thanks!
I have a Kobo Glo and have been reading Polish epubs without any problem so far. Example attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboGloPolish.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	95289  
zurakowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
kumarknmi
kumarknmi began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hindi font on kobo glo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Hi Tsering,
I've Kobo glo and I'm trying to read hindi on kobo glo. I tried a few hindi fonts like "DroidHindi", "Annapurna" etc but without success. Can u please suggest me how can I enable my Kobo glo to read Hindi? Thanks in advance.
kumarknmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarknmi View Post
Hi Tsering,
I've Kobo glo and I'm trying to read hindi on kobo glo. I tried a few hindi fonts like "DroidHindi", "Annapurna" etc but without success. Can u please suggest me how can I enable my Kobo glo to read Hindi? Thanks in advance.
You might want to take a look at the Summary of Modified Fonts sticky ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204363 ) which does a pretty decent job of covering how to add the fonts. I'd recommend reading at least the first message and it's spoilers.

Having suggested that and going by memory, a couple of points:

The fonts go into a directory in the root of the Kobo's internal storage. The directory name must be fonts (all lower case).

The font file name must match the internal font name -- if you are using Windows, you can use Windows Font Viewer and use the name displayed as the font name. As an example,the only time I looked at the DroidHindi font, the font name was actually HelveM_Hindi. So you'd have to rename the font file from DroidHindi.ttf to HelveM_Hindi.ttf. As DroidHindi has no variants, you don't need to worry about -Bold, -Italic, -whatever in the file name. Copy that file into the fonts directory, power cycle your Kobo ereader and select the font from the Aa menu.

Happy reading!

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
max glyphs

I don't know about polish but the DejaVu fonts have an impressive number of glyphs and are good for people who like wide characters (I don't know the technical term). Here is the link to the Serif version, but there are others.
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/DejaVu-Serif
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarknmi View Post
Hi Tsering,
I like Sanskrit 2003. You can download it from here. Create a folder "fonts" at the root of the device and copy the font file to it.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote