Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Rudyman
Rudyman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Hangs when downloading Metadata

Good afternoon,

When I try to download metadata for a book, or a cover sometimes. The function we hang and the application goes not responding. Only way to recover is to close the application and restart. Issue does not happen on every lookup.

Has not happened until version .0.8.14.
Anyone else seeing the issue?

Last edited by Rudyman; 08-17-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Rudyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyman View Post
Good afternoon,

When I try to download metadata for a book, or a cover sometimes. The function we hang and the application goes not responding. Only way to recover is to close the application and restart. Issue does not happen on every lookup.

Did you give it a minute or 2. Sometimes there is disk intensive operations (Swap) happening. The Not responding message goes away.
BTW Allowing your Anti-Virus to always real-time scan your Library folder can really impact performance. Exclude the Library folder (the files all have been scanned while they were imported).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
@theducks, do you mean calibre performs an av check, or that the general av software for the system already should have scanned at download?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
@theducks, do you mean calibre performs an av check, or that the general av software for the system already should have scanned at download?
Normally, your A/V checked files at download time and any time a file is accessed within a 'scanned' (default for folder setting) folder.

Scanning again, every time you 'touch' the book is a bit excessive .
Windows users can watch what the CPU is working on with 'Sysinternals (div of M$) Process Explorer'. Anti-virus does lots of CPU work, all the time
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks, thanks for the clarification. Just was doublechecking against my frequent bad assumptions. That's what I thought in general. (No av related performance issues for me on Mac using ESET cybersecurity.)
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Rudyman

thanks for the reply. I have let it run 15 minutes just to be sure it was not the OS hanging. I'll try running in debug mode and see if Can get an error. OS is windows 7 64bit and continues to run. Just Calibre stops responding.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
This has happened to me twice within a week, and I can't recall it happening before.
But... I am still using 8.11.

I would be surprised if it was a calibre problem as I imagine that they use standardized functions to access the internet.

Strangely enough I seldom go through a day without a web browser freezing up more than once, and I have tried a few

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
This has happened to me twice within a week, and I can't recall it happening before.
But... I am still using 8.11.

I would be surprised if it was a calibre problem as I imagine that they use standardized functions to access the internet.

Strangely enough I seldom go through a day without a web browser freezing up more than once, and I have tried a few

Helen
Today, I could not even watch a CNET-TV video with out stutters.
This almost never happens. Something is bogging the Internet (Anonymous?).
Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard

Something slowed my browser jumps to different sites way down earlier, but now things seem back to normal here.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Rudyman

Good news,

Issue is gone now. I suspect on the the metadata sources was not responding and causing the issues. Since yesterday afternoon, not one crash.

Thanks for all the replies.