Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
'There's just not enough demand now for Android tablet apps'

Interesting. Doesn't bode well for the Touchpad or the Playbook. You get the feeling that Apple, MS and Google + partners are going to take this thing...

Quote:
Four months after its release, users are left wondering where the sweet Honeycomb apps are. We track down the reasons for their absence.
Quote:
We delved into the mystery, reaching out to a number of prominent Android developers for the answers to these questions and more. In our quest for answers, we sought out primarily developers who have successful Android apps that are also available for the iPad, but don't yet have a Honeycomb version. And while we uncovered several significant reasons, virtually everyone agreed on the main underlying cause: There's just not enough demand now for Android tablet apps.
Quote:
If history repeats itself and Android 4.0 is to 3.0 what Android 2.0 was to 1.0, we'll see a major app explosion. This puts a lot of pressure on Ice Cream Sandwich to be the giant leap forward everyone is hoping it will be, especially with the much-improved iOS 5 and Windows Phone 7 Mango updates coming out around the same time.

And if it does mean that developers are going to wait for the next step in both OS and hardware, it may take some time before Android tablet apps really start flooding in. It will likely be a slower trickle until a device comes out that everyone drools over. Honeycomb's reviews have been more positive than negative, but everyone seems to think it feels a bit unfinished. This means that there probably won't be a device that everyone wants until a major update comes out.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/23120...comb_apps.html
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
That plus the fact that very nearly ALL android apps work just fine on my 7" Galaxy Tab (Froyo).
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That plus the fact that very nearly ALL android apps work just fine on my 7" Galaxy Tab (Froyo).
I was thinking that, too. I've got an Android tablet, and I can't think of an app that doesn't work fine on it. And that's not even under Honeycomb. My tablet's still on Froyo.

In other words, from what I've seen, Android scales up the apps pretty well. I don't see a lot of apps that need optimizing for tablets. The problem I've had is in the opposite direction: I can't get tablet-optimized apps on my tablet because I can't run Honeycomb on it.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I was thinking that, too. I've got an Android tablet, and I can't think of an app that doesn't work fine on it. And that's not even under Honeycomb. My tablet's still on Froyo.

In other words, from what I've seen, Android scales up the apps pretty well. I don't see a lot of apps that need optimizing for tablets. The problem I've had is in the opposite direction: I can't get tablet-optimized apps on my tablet because I can't run Honeycomb on it.
Apps may scale well, but they don't make use of the extra real state on tablets. Honeycomb has additional APIs that allow apps to change the layout based on the screen (so you could for instance have a 2-pane window on a tablet, and a single pane on a phone). Apps will only look at their best when they use the new APIs and are optimized for larger screens.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Apps may scale well, but they don't make use of the extra real state on tablets. Honeycomb has additional APIs that allow apps to change the layout based on the screen (so you could for instance have a 2-pane window on a tablet, and a single pane on a phone). Apps will only look at their best when they use the new APIs and are optimized for larger screens.
You've got a point there. I guess I just didn't know what I was missing. But the apps still work fine in their scaled-up versions. That's why I think talking about only how many Android apps were specifically designed for tablets doesn't tell the whole story. You've got a plethora of apps that will work just as well on the tablets as they do on the phones. They're not windowed versions of the apps like they sound like they are (right now) on the TouchPad.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, you mean like TouchDown Exchange client? That automatically switches between tablet mode (2-panes) and phone mode (single pane) depending on if it's running on a phone or a tab?

Yup, works fine!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
You've got a point there. I guess I just didn't know what I was missing. But the apps still work fine in their scaled-up versions. That's why I think talking about only how many Android apps were specifically designed for tablets doesn't tell the whole story. You've got a plethora of apps that will work just as well on the tablets as they do on the phones. They're not windowed versions of the apps like they sound like they are (right now) on the TouchPad.
Or apps in ipad-scaled fuzzy-vision (man, the Facebook app looks like crap on my wife's ipad).

Android apps scale VERY well. Honestly, I don't really think you NEED tablet versions of apps on a 7" tablet - gmail is perfect on my NC. I can see it on a 10" device though - the real estate is a bit wasted on those.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Oh, you mean like TouchDown Exchange client? That automatically switches between tablet mode (2-panes) and phone mode (single pane) depending on if it's running on a phone or a tab?

Yup, works fine!
yes, that's exactly the idea. I dont have a honeycomb tablet to try the app and you sound sarcastic (sorry if I misread it) . anything wrong with that app?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
yes, that's exactly the idea. I dont have a honeycomb tablet to try the app and you sound sarcastic (sorry if I misread it) . anything wrong with that app?
My SGT is Froyo, and yes, TouchDown runs in tablet mode without HC. You need an MS Exchange email account to use TouchDown, as that's what it is, an Exchange client. But it works well.

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, it's a reaction to the original blog cited in the OP. I get so tired of fanboi bloggers trying to justify (by implication) why iOS reigns, and upstart Android sux.

Last edited by wodin; 07-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

232 seems to be the number of apps.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...d-tablet-apps/

Quote:
Furthermore, there are apps that run only on the Samsung Galaxy, some that run only on the Motorola Xoom, and so on. (This, as I’ve often pointed out, is the glaring downside of Android’s openness: it’s not really one platform, but a splintered mishmash of different versions.)

In any case, I now understand why Google’s PR folks do not want the total tally publicized. However you count the apps, the total tally today is a fairly low number.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate

straight from the horse's mouth, yet another fanboi blogger!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

Where does your research reveal him to be wrong at?

<crickets> </crickets>
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Ditto.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Where does your research reveal him to be wrong at?

<crickets> </crickets>
No research is needed to recognize biased spin.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
No research is needed to recognize biased spin.
Nor a non-answer.

What Andy Rubin envisioned for Android before Jobs showed him the light:

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.