Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Cool Reader 3 Issue

I have this one epub that Cool Reader 3 doesn't want to remember the last place I read from.
It's a rather large novel so this is important that it remembers where I left off.

It's the largest book I ever open in CR3 It's 1MB and has over 3,000 pages.
I have checked the file name, the structure and no special characters or spaces that I can see.

I've even tried converting to FB2 but the FB2 wouldn't open at all.
The FB2 opens fine on the desktop version but not on my Pocket pro

I'm finally reading the book in MOBI format but I miss Cool Reader terribly.

Is the file just too big or any ideas what might be wrong?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Hi Blossom,

The file definitely isn't too big I've comfortably opened files of over 4MB in CR3 with no problems, in both epub and fb2 format.

I have come across some files I've converted from epub to fb2 using calibre that haven't been liked, either not opening or locking up my EZPro. From what I gather the calibre conversion to fb2 isn't the greatest but as it works for the most part I'm not that worried about it.

I would say the file you are trying to read must have a character or such in it that CR3 doesn't like and is killing the conversion to fb2.

Have you tried converting from mobi to fb2 in case the conversion from epub to mobi (I'm assuming you did this) has stripped the offending character(s)?

Last edited by Mnementh; 10-14-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,
Thanks for the confirmation it does handle larger files.

I got the file working but had to wait to test it till now. I still don't know why CR3 didn't like the book. It's came as an epub. It would open it just fine but couldn't remember the last place.

I had to pretty much strip all the pics out which were just a bunch of underlines but kept only the necessary ones but I got the FB2 working!

I use both Fictionbook Designer and Book Designer 5 for FB2 conversations.
Calibre doesn't seem to like FB2 format much, especially with the TOC which is why I have started using FB2 because epubs in CR3 need a inline TOC and then they don't always work.

I also made a new epub and this one works but will use FB2 cause of the TOC works unlike the epub's version.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Blossom, what methods do you use to convert from epub to fb2? I know the issues with Calibre, and I would love to convert my collection of epubs to fb2.

Do either of those apps you mention do an epub -> fb2 conversion? Or is it more of a manual process?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It's defaintly more of a manual process.
First you have to unzip the epub and then use Book Designer 5 to join the multiple html files together into one big html file then import it into the program.

It doesn't take long to edit the file, you just need to mark the Chapters as Titles so it knows to make a TOC from them. Book Designer and Fiction Book Designer will auto detect most of the titles when importing then you just go through the Title list in the Element box and correct any that aren't Chapters or Headers.

Once that is done you can click Create the FB2 button, enter the info in the boxes and click the Make button and it's will create the FB2 book.

You do have to open the FB2 in a text editor (I use PSPad) and do a search and replace for amp; to &

I use the same method for my epubs as well except I save the file as htm then import into Calibre. I also add inline TOCs (Using the TOC option in BD5) to my epubs which work most of the time in CR3. I then use this regex
Code:
//*[@class = 'title']
in Calibre's Detect Chapter and Insert Page breaks boxes to make a nicely formatted epub.

The programs aren't perfect have quirks but I'd be lost without Book Designer and now FictionBook Designer. You don't need both though you can use either or but I use both for various reasons.

When I discovered CR3 I spent 3 weeks converting my mobi files to epub and now I convert to FB2 mostly. I also zip the file and add .fb2 to zip and it works great and is smaller then a epub file. (Thanks Dave for all FB2 info!)
Advert